Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #161

Scare light

I have a new Forester Class C 3011 which has the My RV control panels and can be controlled by the phone App.
I have had good luck with it but this last trip the outside light over the exterior shower is not responding to be turned off by any location or device.
It just stays on until I turn off the main 12v switch.
Any suggestions?
JerrySull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySull View Post
I have a new Forester Class C 3011 which has the My RV control panels and can be controlled by the phone App.
I have had good luck with it but this last trip the outside light over the exterior shower is not responding to be turned off by any location or device.
It just stays on until I turn off the main 12v switch.
Any suggestions?
This is called the "scare light" on my 3051.

Try all lights off if your tablet or phone app has that choice.

When you turn off the 12 volt disconnect, leave it off for a few minutes so the router and tablets will reboot when you turn it back on.

The light control module may be located behind the panel on the left of your stairwell if you're comfortable checking for a loose connection.

What is that light labeled on your tablet?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #163

The lighting circuits are are controlled by a relay in the lighting control module. The issues could be a few things.

The relay in the module may have failed in the closed posistion. This is unlikely as the scare light is very low current. Relays typically fail due to arcing when making and breaking. The relays that are used in the module are rated at 15 amps.

It is also possible that the module has a internal failure and is activating the relay as soon as it has power.

Follow netgain’s instructions then if not resolved continue with the following.

The way the sytem is wired the ground side of the light is connected to a common bus. The positive is switched via the relay. Due to sloppy assembly of the wiring it possible one (or many) of the strands from the feed to the scare light has crossed over to a constant 12 volt source on the module. A quick visual inspection of the module will reveal this.

Troubleshooting this is not very difficult if you have a volt meter.
1st look for obvious loose wire etc.
2nd determine which output is the one that is hot all the time.
3rd losely inspect that terminal for loose strands.
4th if not yet resolved disconnect the CAN bus cables (two seperate thin gray wires each with a 2 pin connector) from the module to see if the light goes out. If it does not you have a bad relay or module. As the relays are not designed to be replaced the module will need replaced.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #164

Hey Steve. I knew if you saw this you'd have a comment.
As usual, I'll bet your solution will solve Jerry's problem as what you suggested would be my next move if what I suggested didn't work.
Happy New Year.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #165
2012 Solera

Can you just take the bulb out or disconnect the light? Since your MH is new, should be under warranty. Probably other warranty items will show up. By disconnecting it you can wait until you want to take it in for those other items. The "scare light" is one of my least used features.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Hey Steve. I knew if you saw this you'd have a comment.
As usual, I'll bet your solution will solve Jerry's problem as what you suggested would be my next move if what I suggested didn't work.
Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to you.
I have a question for you. So as to not hijack this thread, il drop you a pm.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #167

No I have not experienced anything like that -- one time I could not control the awning with the app on my iPhone so I just went to the pad in the motor home and the awning came in with it! I do appreciate your insight on turning off the power and seemed to reset the myrv control pad -- interesting info. Appreciate it and sorry I don't have any answer for your question!
BingDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #168

Forester My RV Scare light problem

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.
I received a wiring and modules diagram from Travis at Forest River that I think will help.
Can’t get to work on this until the weekend but I will keep you informed on progress.
Thanks again to all.
JerrySull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #169

Quote:
I received a wiring and modules diagram from Travis at Forest River that I think will help.
Can’t get to work on this until the weekend but I will keep you informed on progress.
Thanks again to all.
Great! Please let us know your results. Also please post the documentation you received from Travis as it may invaluable for others troubleshooting issues in the future.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #170

Yes, please post any documentation on this system!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Yes, please post any documentation on this system!
Yes, please do this!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #172

Quote:
Thanks again to all.
Hi Jerry. Any luck finding a solution?
Also hoping you'll share the info Travis sent to you.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #173

I have a 2018 Forester 2861DS and on a few occasions, the LCI panel would not show the functions it was supposed to control. I had no controls of anything. I had to reboot the panel and thankfully, the devices all came back and I was able to control them. My dealer attempted to troubleshoot it, but weren't able to find a problem, because the problem was intermittent. After discussion with LCI they suggested to replace the screen and did so under warranty. I am now waiting to see if the problem ever reoccurs.

With respect to updating the files and manuals so they are relevant to the RV, I have not found a way. LCI told me FR would have to update the panels with actual owners manuals, how to videos and help that is relevant to the MH. It would seem that was the intent of these selections, but currently they are of no use. FR told me to simply plug in a USB and add the files, but have not provided a way to do that. What a nice resource that would be if it were actually useful information. It's interesting to watch you tube videos on this panel and they mention these on board owner's manuals and videos stored in the panel as being a great thing. It's a bit misleading!

Other than that, I do like the screens. The LCI operator manual is a bit lacking.
mainer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #174

We had problems with our MyRv panel when we first got our unit. Lippert shipped a new one to our dealer ASAP and once installed, we never had another problem with the wall panel itself again. (I did have the app on my phone which we used when the panel was acting up)