Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #21
Cutty

Yes the manual buttons are just below where the tablet mounts....
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
Yes the manual buttons are just below where the tablet mounts....
So in your unit, bbcutright, you can either use the tablet to put out your slides and awning, etc., use a smart phone, or you can use the "old fashioned" buttons.

BUT, Bbogey said this:

Dinette lights, bathroom light and entertainment lights have switches. Slide, stabilizer, most lights, generator, water pump, water heater, etc, all on MyRV....

So, is the availability of the manual buttons for slide, awnings, and generator unit-specific? Some units have them and others do not?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #23
Cutty

yes all three options are available to me
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleysMom View Post
bbcutright: do you have manual buttons for your slides, awning, and generator in addition to the tablet?
I really wish someone would answer this. It just doesn't seem possible that Forester engineers would install a system totally dependent on software! I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a deal for a 3011DS, so I need to know if I have to go with plan B.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
Cutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperroo View Post
I really wish someone would answer this. It just doesn't seem possible that Forester engineers would install a system totally dependent on software! I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a deal for a 3011DS, so I need to know if I have to go with plan B.
I have answered I thought every question you've masked. Yes I have manual controls button also. They are located just under the Pad. yours may be elsewhere.
Yes I can control my slides and awnings manually either by a switch or by a crank that is supplied and was located under the bed or in the storage compartment...
Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
I have answered I thought every question you've masked. Yes I have manual controls button also. They are located just under the Pad. yours may be elsewhere.
Yes I can control my slides and awnings manually either by a switch or by a crank that is supplied and was located under the bed or in the storage compartment...
I'm so sorry, "Cutty." Yes, thank you for answering. It's confusing because there's conflicting information. Your motor home has the manual switches for all the systems and then "BBogey's" post indicates otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Dinette lights, bathroom light and entertainment lights have switches. Slide, stabilizer, most lights, generator, water pump, water heater, etc, all on MyRV....
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #27

It must be model specific - I REALLY WISH we had both options - but we don't....
Old 10-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
It must be model specific - I REALLY WISH we had both options - but we don't....

Thanks BBogey.

Joshua, can you confirm whether the availability of the manual buttons is model specific and help Camperroo and me figure out whether our units (my 2861DS which is on order and her possible purchase of a 3011DS) have the manual buttons for the slides, awning, and generator in addition to the MyRV tablet and smart phone app?

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #29
Class C Representative

The rocker switches or buttons are only available on a Sunseeker not a Forester. To move a slide in and out manually you will either have to disengage slide motors or crank the slide in using a socket or wrench.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
The rocker switches or buttons are only available on a Sunseeker not a Forester. To move a slide in and out manually you will either have to disengage slide motors or crank the slide in using a socket or wrench.
Thanks Joshua. That clears things up.

Just curious: Was there a reason why it was decided to have both on the Sunseeker and only the tablet on the Forester?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #31
Class C Representative

Sunseeker has the rocker switches and Forester has the tablet. Neither has both.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #32

Ah, Joshua. I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #33

Scary part is, it would cost mucho bucks to program a replacement toy to render the coach useful or usable. When Lippert drops this device in a few years for something "better", some will understand "up a creek without a paddle". Every automated service requires a backup.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Scary part is, it would cost mucho bucks to program a replacement toy to render the coach useful or usable. When Lippert drops this device in a few years for something "better", some will understand "up a creek without a paddle". Every automated service requires a backup.
There is a reason I don't have this technology in my home yet and it's not because of cost.

Complexity = High Repair costs and quick obsolescence

In an environment (i.e. my RV) where the simple things break too often and/or don't work at all, I have a hard time believing this will improve on that experience.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #35

Joshua, as a follow-up question:

The slides would have to be manually manipulated but what about operating the generator or awning or levelers? Could you confirm that there is a way to manually operate these items also should something go wrong with the tablet hardware/software?

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #36
Site Team

Having a unit totally rely on wireless communication devices to operate is pretty shocking. Especially since they're not industrially hardened communications.

My very low end unit has both remote and manual switches.

Several threads here have had the remote quit working and they had to use the manual buttons to operate a device. It would be very inconvenient to have to manually crank the slides in because the remote lost communication with the receiver.

They should at least incorporate momentary buttons on the receiver so that the devices could be operated in case of a wireless failure.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #37

Unhappy Having second thoughts

I am beginning to think ordering the new Forester was a mistake. Between the downgrades and this new feature(?), was it worth the extra two grand? Asides from the quarter paint there really isn't much difference between the two makes anymore!
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #38

Lippert myRV® Tablet Questions!

This MyRV system sounds similar to the Jensen iNCommand system Keystone (and possibly others) is using.

iNCommand uses Bluetooth instead of wifi. There is a touchscreen mounted on the wall that controls everything. I can use my phone with an app to do everything the wall touchscreen does, however I don't know if I could use my phone if that wall touchscreen died. Pairing a new phone requires the touchscreen for confirmation.

The brain, where all the wires connect (lights, water heater, awning, slide outs, stabilizers, etc. -- literally everything) is in the front storage compartment. On the brain, there are a few rocker switches to manually control a few things, however not everything.

It would be a ton of work to retrofit one of these systems into a camper that didn't have one... or to remove one and resort to old school switches.

I love the iNCommand system in my camper, but I do think about being SOL if something goes wrong.

Protecting your camper with an EMS has never been more important! My EMS is hard-wired inside... and recently added a plug-in (plug in to the pedestal) surge protector to provide an extra layer of protection... and a little protection for the EMS.

Camping is getting out of control...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #39

Ah the future. Everyone hates change but it is inevitable. The MyRv and incommand systems are the future. FR needs to compete and higher end units are all starting to use these systems. Yes if it fails it will need to be fixed but the same can be said for anything in our very complex RVs. There is probably more wires, relays, and solder in our rigs than anything else. Does any of the other systems have backups in case they fail? No, when a control board goes out on your fridge guess what you have no fridge.
The consumer demands the latest and greatest. Does anyone remember lighting the furnace pilot with a match for 20 minutes? Or trying to get the fridge to light on propane by turn that knob a hundred times till you could see the clear plastic window glow showing it was working. Things change. Usually for the better and convienance. Most of us with these rigs glamp. Were on these forums talking about surround sound, satellite TV, battery isolaters, and stuff never associated with camping when I grew up. If my kids actually camped they probably would be in shock.
We all love the outdoors but we want the best money can by with our rigs. Human nature.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #40

I emailed someone from Forest River on Tuesday; sadly, I really didn't expect them getting back to me, or at least not quickly...well, I got a PHONE CALL yesterday from the guy I emailed!! He told me he had called Lippet (or whatever the name is) and talked to them about it, and they requested more info, so he called me!!

I had actually taken a picture of the error message one of the many time it wouldn't work and sent that to him. He said he'd try to have information back to me by Friday.

If nothing else, at this point I'm kind of happy with the higher ups service of FR to be acting so quick, now if we can just find a solution....