Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Loud noises in 2016 Forester 2401WS

Greetings, long time reader, and first time poster. So been reading for a year or more on Solera sight, getting ready to purchase our first motorhome, had decided upon the 24R, then found out earlier this year about the new model 24W, so decided upon that as my wife really liked the concept of the full slider on the drivers side. Then decided to "upgrade" to a Forester 2401WS, when we could find one.
After waiting and watching, finally saw a new 2016 at a local dealer, so went down last week to look at it in person, and drive it. Well, the walk through and around was better than expected, seems like they have covered all needs and wants nicely. HOWEVER, when we took it out for a several mile test drive, my wife said NO. The "squeaking" was terrible, like having several Styrofoam ice chests rubbing together right over your head. The noise came from the sleeper unit area directly above both the driver and passenger compartment, and not just one side, but the entire overhead piece. It was not as noticeable when driving down the highway due to other noises, but when slowing down, going around corners, driving slowly on smaller roads, pulling into and out of driveways, etc, it was VERY loud and annoying. My wife said no way could she bear the noise for thousands of miles and hours of driving.
So my questions is, is this a normal sound for this make and model? Is it just one more "RVing" thing a person learns to "love" and/or ignore? Or was this somehow a defective unit? If so, is there a way for a tech to repair it? Thanks very much.
tentingontheoldfairground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

Tenting, there is no other way to say to this - they are noisy! We bought a 2015 Forester 2651S last November and have put about 4500 miles on it so far. We find it noisy on our side streets and some 2 lane highways but on the interstates it is not that bad. If you are comparing it to a new car or pickup you will never be happy. As we have taken more trips, we have "fixed" some of the squeaks and rattles but it is my wife's job at the beginning of each trip to quiet what we can with towels or rearranging things.
To be honest, it is probably noisier than I would like but we love traveling this way and we have learned to ignore it. Good luck making your decision.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Wait till next year...

How many 24w,2400,2401ws have you driven? Just because this unit may have peculiar noises doesn't mean all will. I've driven a solera 24r and loved it. Sight lines and noise level were excellant. But I have to agree with Gilm2113 my 2650s is a rattle trap they all are as you start stocking them up. And as Gilm2113 said its a trade off once you get the bug noises are a small annoyance
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

My 3120 on a Ford chasis is very quiet IMO. I sometimes get minor groans making turns when the chassis twists due to uneven road surface. Bumps or expansion strips can cause a rattle of the pan in the cooktop but that's only on the larger ones. I think the 2401W is on a MB chassis which may not be as stiff as the Ford truck chassis. Also it's a wall slide floor plan which is less resistant to twisting than smaller slide floor plans. Kind of like a convertible car compared to one with T-tops. The T-top one will be a stronger and stiffer chassis.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

MH Noise

People like myself who moved up from a TT and fifth wheel to a MH all say the same thing "I never realized how much was going on back there when we were towing a trailer".
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentingontheoldfairground View Post
The noise came from the sleeper unit area directly above both the driver and passenger compartment, and not just one side, but the entire overhead piece.
Highly unlikely (I won't say impossible) it is the overhead sleeper squeaking. In most cases when there is squeaking it is the slide out. The rubber seals moving on the fiberglass. there is really nothing in the overhead to squeek. I have been on a ton of Sprinter test drives and find them pretty quiet. (certainly not car like) but you can normally use dry lubricant to get rid of the slide squeaking.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester