Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #1

Love our 3051S's

I am a new owner of a 2014 3051S, well got it in Oct. 2013, and think it is the best of the line. But with the outrageous winter we had I really haven't been out much, a weekend in Oct., Nov and did 10 days during Memorial day so do not know a lot about the rv yet. Anyway, I love my unit with the huge Ford engine, the layout, the huge awning. Trying to sell my house so we can go fulltime. Am planning week trips until the Big day. So it seems that 3051S owners really like the rv, so I would like to let other 3051S owners tell what they like about their rv and after living in one for a while any tips/tricks to make experience better, ie. Any mods made, storage ideas, and how you like the Ford E 450 triton engine.
A little forum to boast about your rv. This is a POSITIVE REMARKS ONLY FORUM. (did enough whining on other posts)

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

USNMM, I added a propane extend kit, makes it a lot easier to fill 20 lb tank than to move whole RV. Cheers .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

Do you have a pic of that propane kit?
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #4

Hey,

The 3051s is a great layout. I'm glad you are excited. We still are excited about our 3010 ds. This is year 2 for us. I'd like to hear about your decision to full time and what your plans are to be.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Hi MIKE, yes I am excited, even though it may not seem so from earlier post, and a pure NEWBIE. I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, camped, and backpacked all through Pa. and WV. growing up. So camping to me was if you couldn't carry on your back you didn't bring it ( amazing how much a case of beer weighs ), my wife on the other hand grew up camping in a TT. Her father was a Vietnam Vet Nurse so they moved around and did so pulling a trailer behind their old Ford Galaxy Wagon, and that was her take on camping. I have 2 kids, both grown and on their own, and we took them camping all the time, this is when I got introduced to car camping, and I thought WOW this is cool in the woods, beer, real food, chairs and I did not carry anything.
So as you can surmise from my name I am a disabled vet and am fully disabled, also on SSDI and medically retired from my last job. I am 52 years old and have chronic pain neuropathy in left leg and have spinal fusion in entire back except for C1 and C2. I refuse to let the pain beat me, I am not going to sit in the corner and cry like a baby or get so wired on pain medication I am a zombie. I have always wanted to travel our country, during the Navy years I got to see the world, so now is time for the USA. Being in my condition makes travel very difficult, airports, can't walk that far unassisted and seats are extremely uncomfortable. Long car rides extremely painful. I need an adjustable bed , can not sleep laying flat so hotels are problems Did a train trip a couple of years ago loved it but unpredictable and expensive.
Last summer we took 3 weeks and did a New England trip by car in which I planned everything for short drives with nicer hotels and brought many wedge pillows to prop myself up. Well the trip was just unbelievable and after awhile painful. We actually cut it short 3 days to get home for me. After that I realized the only way to travel was to bring house with me and an rv does that. Choose a Class C over TT for ease of hooking up at campground and ease of driving over a TT, 5th or big old class A. So with kids grown and living their lives now , both sets of parents gone, there is nothing tying us to our town.
As you know these freakin rv's are not cheap, in fact this one cost more than my house did, and we knew that we could not afford one and travel fulltime with our mortgage. Well luckily we have been financially frugal and do not have a pile of debt which means we can live off my retirement and disability pay and my wife can guit her job.
To really see this country the way we want to, it would not work taking 2 week vacations, Heck it would take 3 days to get to the west. So we decided to just dive in sell the house get rid of all the junk and hit the road. Now I am not doing this until I die, I only have so long until the mobility I have starts to break down, could be 1 year could be 20, docs do not know, so we are going to travel until we are done then find some place to retire where it is warm.
I would say we spent a good 3-4 months talking about full timing then another 2-3 months researching rv's. With some good planning we can make it work on my pay, we won't be rich but I won't be sleeping in Walmart every night either

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Well as I've told you before I appreciate your service to our country! I'm 54 and just thinking of retiring maybe in 3 years but I don't want to wait too long.

I really hope you have many many years in your RV. My kids are grown too but Mom and Dad are still around and I need to enjoy them while I can.

We won't be rich either and we will downsize our home in the next three years. The RV will be paid off in 4 years and it may be my last Coach or maybe not.

If your up Ohio way, please let me know where your staying I'd love to meet you.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

My kids backpack down in the Dolly Sods all the time. They love it down there.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #8

Oh man, in the 70 ' s I backpacked all over dolly sods and Otter Creek. Both my kids graduated from Davis & Elkins. I love that area of WV. YES spend as much time with your parents as possible, mine both passed too early, there are a lot of times I wish my dad was around to help me. What part of Ohio are you in, like cleveland, columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo ,steubenville??

Old 06-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

Well it's cool to hear someone backpacked all over that area! Frankly, when they started going to WV, I worried about them but they are pretty experienced now so not so much anymore.

They just got back from a Memorial Day weekend trip there and had a great time. I think 5 of them went.

We live in the Columbus area and like I said if you are anywhere in Ohio, let me know I'll come and see you. I think I'm getting grumpy as I age too, less tolerance for BS.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

MikeRP I don't have a pic of kit but if you google, propane extend a stay kit for RV, you will see them, very easy to install , just untread your regulator from tank and thread in valve then tread your reg back into valve. Valve has a port where you can attach a 20lb BBQ tank to and run off that. Cheers
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #11

Well, Mike when we sell we are heading west first and interstate 70 will take me right through Columbus, I will definitely take a pit stop to meet you.

Found another post that FR has a replacement slide out system for the kitchen pantry. I think Mr. CLEMENS said the 2015 are leaving with them and they will fit in the 2014. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see how much it is and how long to get in. This really excites me because the pantry design in 2014 3051S and earlier makes me scratch my head.

Tags