Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Max weight for outside storage compartments

We have the 2251 and are wondering how much weight will the outside storage compartments take. They seem to be plastic and flex when pressure is applied. Tried to get some info from the owners manual but very sparse information given.
dumboatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Welcome to the FRF Forester MH Section. I don’t think you are going to find a definitive answer to your question. First issue is the size of the compartment. Different sizes will certainly have different capacities. FR uses Rotocast compartments with a drain. This makes them very easy to clean. Having had galvanized, carpeted compartments, rotocast is far better. Bottom sagging is going to happen under load because the compartments are flexible. You can put some aluminum strips in to reinforce it if it becomes a problem.
Another consideration is your RV’s CCC (cargo carrying capacity). If you bring the rock collection, Amelda’s shoes and all the toys in the world, you will most likely exceed your CCC before the weight limit of a storage compartment is encountered. Best suggestion is to distribute the weight as evenly as possible and only bring what you need. That list changes as time passes.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboatt2 View Post
We have the 2251 and are wondering how much weight will the outside storage compartments take. They seem to be plastic and flex when pressure is applied. Tried to get some info from the owners manual but very sparse information given.
They do like to flex... From experience I limit the smaller compartments to 40 - 50 pounds maximum. The larger rear compartments are more about bulk than weight for me.

Avoid putting anything with sharp corners, like a tool box, on the compartment floor. I've seen floors cracked, and even punched thru , due to sharp corners bouncing down the road. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to line the floor of my "tool compartment" to help protect the floor and to help spread the weight out evenly. I also use plastic storage boxes, in all the compartments, to keep everything together and help spread out the floor loading.

Periodically check inside your compartments to see if they are pulling loose from the wall. You may need to reseal the compartments to keep water out. I've found the easiest way to check is at night. I start by putting a bright flashlight in the compartment and closing the door. Then I look for light leaks...if light can get out water can get in.

Welcome to the forum!
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Periodically check inside your compartments to see if they are pulling loose from the wall. You may need to reseal the compartments to keep water out. I've found the easiest way to check is at night. I start by putting a bright flashlight in the compartment and closing the door. Then I look for light leaks...if light can get out water can get in.

Welcome to the forum!

What do you use to re-seal them?
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

I use plywood on the floor to spread the weight, in any bin I have heavy stuff in.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
I have used silicone adhesive or non-sag dicor sealant. Both worked just fine.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post

Dicor...after tightening any loose screws. I don't use silicon type products anywhere on the outside of a RV as there are too many places it can cause problems...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

For the two rear bins, the largest on our unit, I added more screws on the inside lip, to spread the load. Take one out, measure, and use real wood screws, not the self tappers. If you really want to carry weight in them, you can can use some sort of angle iron supports to go front to back. Side to side won't help since there is nothing but wall on the outside to attach to.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Dicor...after tightening any loose screws. I don't use silicon type products anywhere on the outside of a RV as there are too many places it can cause problems...
I dont use silicone on the outside either.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:34 PM   #10

Hi Duckogram,

I see the override feature. The post was from 5/18/18. I searched the forum for reinforcing outside storage compartments. Note that DP26 said must go front to back as the only support on the outside wall if you went side to side is the outside wall itself. In a 25 footer there are not too many places. I would build a 4 or 5 sided box of wood to spread the weight and anchor the components for my solar/lithium upgrade.
Thanks!
2020- 103, 2019- 45, 2018- 77, 2017- 79
Bertha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:14 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Creativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertha17 View Post
Hi Duckogram,
…Note that DP26 said must go front to back as the only support on the outside wall if you went side to side is the outside wall itself. In a 25 footer there are not too many places. I would build a 4 or 5 sided box of wood to spread the weight and anchor the components for my solar/lithium upgrade.
Thanks!
I disagree with the notion that any exterior compartment reinforcement must go front to back. Depending on each specific situation it may be easier to do so however consider that you have two or more holding tanks that can weigh 240 lbs or more each and are mounted via brackets that are bolted to the floor, I am fairly certain you could attach fabricated brackets to support a compartment “frame” or exoskeleton if you prefer. The brackets highlighted in the photo are supporting the black and FW tank in my former unit.

Sidebar: The countdown clock is at 24. Clue: NSYNC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	286686  
Old 05-03-2023, 05:49 PM   #12

Duckogram,
That is a significant amount of weight supported very close to the outside edge of the unit. Thanks and again, I am sorry for you having to go back and forth between two threads on my one question.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:43 AM   #13

I heard back form a Forest River Class C warranty rep regarding the max weight of the compartment just behind the entry door in my 2017 Forester 2401S MBS and his thoughts about putting batteries in it.

His reply is as follows; "multiple batteries is to much weight for just the compartment tub. I would say somewhere between 50 to 60 lbs is max or the tub could start stripping screws to the sidewall."

I don't know if he checked with the engineering group, or not. I have regularly kept significantly more weight in this location than he indicated.

Curious to know what others have experienced regarding any loading failures and use of this compartment for batteries/solar system components. There is a second post on this topic concerning reinforcing this compartment in order to install batteries and solar components. Sorry for any duplication.

Tags
storage, weight