Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Max weight for outside storage compartments

We have the 2251 and are wondering how much weight will the outside storage compartments take. They seem to be plastic and flex when pressure is applied. Tried to get some info from the owners manual but very sparse information given.

dumboatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Former Full Timer

Welcome to the FRF Forester MH Section. I don’t think you are going to find a definitive answer to your question. First issue is the size of the compartment. Different sizes will certainly have different capacities. FR uses Rotocast compartments with a drain. This makes them very easy to clean. Having had galvanized, carpeted compartments, rotocast is far better. Bottom sagging is going to happen under load because the compartments are flexible. You can put some aluminum strips in to reinforce it if it becomes a problem.
Another consideration is your RV’s CCC (cargo carrying capacity). If you bring the rock collection, Amelda’s shoes and all the toys in the world, you will most likely exceed your CCC before the weight limit of a storage compartment is encountered. Best suggestion is to distribute the weight as evenly as possible and only bring what you need. That list changes as time passes.

Designer Legacy 3590RLTS - At the Lake
Bullet 215RBS - Went to a good home in KS
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboatt2 View Post
We have the 2251 and are wondering how much weight will the outside storage compartments take. They seem to be plastic and flex when pressure is applied. Tried to get some info from the owners manual but very sparse information given.
They do like to flex... From experience I limit the smaller compartments to 40 - 50 pounds maximum. The larger rear compartments are more about bulk than weight for me.

Avoid putting anything with sharp corners, like a tool box, on the compartment floor. I've seen floors cracked, and even punched thru , due to sharp corners bouncing down the road. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to line the floor of my "tool compartment" to help protect the floor and to help spread the weight out evenly. I also use plastic storage boxes, in all the compartments, to keep everything together and help spread out the floor loading.

Periodically check inside your compartments to see if they are pulling loose from the wall. You may need to reseal the compartments to keep water out. I've found the easiest way to check is at night. I start by putting a bright flashlight in the compartment and closing the door. Then I look for light leaks...if light can get out water can get in.

Welcome to the forum!
RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Periodically check inside your compartments to see if they are pulling loose from the wall. You may need to reseal the compartments to keep water out. I've found the easiest way to check is at night. I start by putting a bright flashlight in the compartment and closing the door. Then I look for light leaks...if light can get out water can get in.

Welcome to the forum!

What do you use to re-seal them?
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

I use plywood on the floor to spread the weight, in any bin I have heavy stuff in.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
I have used silicone adhesive or non-sag dicor sealant. Both worked just fine.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post

Dicor...after tightening any loose screws. I don't use silicon type products anywhere on the outside of a RV as there are too many places it can cause problems...
RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

For the two rear bins, the largest on our unit, I added more screws on the inside lip, to spread the load. Take one out, measure, and use real wood screws, not the self tappers. If you really want to carry weight in them, you can can use some sort of angle iron supports to go front to back. Side to side won't help since there is nothing but wall on the outside to attach to.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Dicor...after tightening any loose screws. I don't use silicon type products anywhere on the outside of a RV as there are too many places it can cause problems...
I dont use silicone on the outside either.

Tags
storage, weight