Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I don't use decon I am not sure if they have a all weather bait I use tom cat just 1 bite from tsc and another that's corn base
I use there Mole Worms !!! From TSC !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #22

I found them in my air cleaner housing in the engine compartment. I cleaned that out and put two glue traps in front of the air housing intake. I also stuff steel wool into the openings. Over the period of three weeks (this is back in November) I caught 12 mice. Before I hit the road for the winter I cleaned the heater/AC vent at the base of the windshield. I found that the mice get in that space too and their urine smell will come into the cab when the A/C or heat is turned on. I made a solution of bleach and water (to kill any possible hantavirus) and poured it into the heater/AC vent at the base of the windshield. It flows out the drain on the lower part of the unit on the passenger side. It won't flow into the interior part of the heater/AC - the vent is open to air, rain and everything else at the base of the windshield. After the bleach I rinse with water and then a Simple Green/water solution. I also use the Simple Green solution on top of the radiator support and anywhere else I see mouse droppings.

The glue traps and steel wool seem to work the best. I've done moth balls in my boat and some years it helps other years they set up housekeeping next to the moth balls.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #23

Sometimes they lick the traps free of the peanut butter...Wrap some thread "loosely" around the metal ..and add the p b.....They catch their teeth in the p b and "Bingo"!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
I found them in my air cleaner housing in the engine compartment. I cleaned that out and put two glue traps in front of the air housing intake. I also stuff steel wool into the openings. Over the period of three weeks (this is back in November) I caught 12 mice. Before I hit the road for the winter I cleaned the heater/AC vent at the base of the windshield. I found that the mice get in that space too and their urine smell will come into the cab when the A/C or heat is turned on. I made a solution of bleach and water (to kill any possible hantavirus) and poured it into the heater/AC vent at the base of the windshield. It flows out the drain on the lower part of the unit on the passenger side. It won't flow into the interior part of the heater/AC - the vent is open to air, rain and everything else at the base of the windshield. After the bleach I rinse with water and then a Simple Green/water solution. I also use the Simple Green solution on top of the radiator support and anywhere else I see mouse droppings.

The glue traps and steel wool seem to work the best. I've done moth balls in my boat and some years it helps other years they set up housekeeping next to the moth balls.
Did you change the cabin air filter? if so equipped
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #25
Wyn

I had mice in the engine compartment of my motorhome, they used the insulation pad around the battery to make a nest on the engine block, inside the air cleaner duct and on top of the radiator support. After I cleaned up the nests and associated mouse poop, I put mothballs and glue traps under the hood, and have (knock wood) kept the mice away. Time will tell if this will work long term.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #26

I still think the best solution if your RV is at home is to try to keep them out, B4 they get into it...whether pull trailer, 5th wheel or MH. As I noted B4 a great deal of damage can occur in the engine area (class c). Rat Trappers work for us, but we keep our rig at home and can check them every day or so. What works for some, does not work for others. To each his own, I guess.

Happy 2017!!! Have a great and safe camping this year.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #27

mice in the engine compartment

I too put mothballs in the engine compartment, in a como pen container by two of the wheel and hanging from various spots under the coach, as well as in the generator compartment. .inside the coach are peppermint oil in multiple spots, Fresh Cab or equivalent and dryer sheets everywhere. Tom Cat enclosed poison chambers several places around the house and a few not too far from the coach. Thank God no evidence of any rodent or insect intrusion. Smells nice too. Oh yeah, all the basement compartments have either mothballs, or peppermint or both.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #28

From my experience all moth balls do is make it unlivable for people !!!
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #29

mice in the engine compartment

Hopefully the rodents find it as objectionable. Most of the mothballs are under the coach, in the storage compartments, and engine compartment. Inside the coach is much peppermint, dryer sheets and Fresh Cab. When it gets cold, the mint freezes and is not as potent.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #30

As have others,,, I have had Mice nest right next to a pile of Moth Balls ???
Good Luck !!!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #31

I had 6 traps around the tires and the peanut butter was gone except for one and it had a load of ants on it. Thee's things are so sensitive I doubt if any mice were near them. Put two of them in the engine compartment. see if I get lucky.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #32

I do believe moth balls are about the best. The smell overpowers the rest of it. We had mice in, finally figured out they could smell the dog food storage. Couldn't get at it but smelled it. Dog food out, mice gone. In a garage, mice find homes. Because garages are open spaces. So they go to engines for cover. Try at least moth balls and see what happens. Naturally, mice will choose the outside natural environment. The garage is unnatural as there is no food. Think about it. Ok a nest in an engine. But you're a small mouse that needs to go a relative long distance for food and water. Why would you do that? So somewhere in the garage is a food supply. It doesn't need to be very big. And who knows what s mouse likes to eat. But their nest is close to food.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote