Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Michelin LTX M/S & Class C questions

Hi all,

We recently purchased a used Forester with Michelin LTX M/S tires mounted on it. The dealer set the pressure at 80 PSI all the way around and sent us on our way. Having checked Michelin's online guide for this tire, I realized that this is a light truck tire and not an RV specific tire.

As a result, I am worried that the tires are going to fail/wear quicker than an RV specific tire. Can someone tell me if my fears are unfounded?

Also, looking at the recommended pressure chart for the tire, it shows much lower pressures for the axle weights (approx 50lbs front, 55lbs rear) than the 80 that the dealer set & recommended. Does anyone know if the pressures on the chart would still be valid for use with our RV or should I run the higher pressures that the dealer said to use?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

You will need to go to a certified truck scale and weigh your rv. That will get you the axle weight front and rear as well as the overall weight. Additionally as a refinement you can weigh each side separately so you know the exact weight on each side of the front and rear axles. I did not do this.

The tires should be R 225/75 r16 E rated tires. Michelin tire tells you exactly when they were made on the sidewall. If they were made 5 years or more ago, replace them.

You can also look for any cracking on the sidewalks. My tires fun 75 psi front and 80 psi on the rear duals. Some dealers are conservative on the 80 psi. But it makes the steering a little loose if you run too much air in the front.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #3

Hi Mike, first thing I did was go to a CAT scale and get weights for the front and rear axles which is what I used to get the recommended pressures on Michelin's guide for the tires. That's why I'm confused why the dealer said run max psi for the tires, when according to my weights and the chart, I should be running far less...

There is some faint cracking on the sidewalls, so I was thinking of maybe seeing if Michelin would prorate them and let me trade up to the XPS rib tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
You will need to go to a certified truck scale and weigh your rv. That will get you the axle weight front and rear as well as the overall weight. Additionally as a refinement you can weigh each side separately so you know the exact weight on each side of the front and rear axles. I did not do this.

The tires should be R 225/75 r16 E rated tires. Michelin tire tells you exactly when they were made on the sidewall. If they were made 5 years or more ago, replace them.

You can also look for any cracking on the sidewalks. My tires fun 75 psi front and 80 psi on the rear duals. Some dealers are conservative on the 80 psi. But it makes the steering a little loose if you run too much air in the front.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Commercial Member

They are light truck tires because you are driving an rv with a light truck chassis.

It is still a Ford truck under there, and that is why you are running a 17 inch rim/tire combo.

80 psi is what the LT tires carry the most weight at.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
Hi Mike, first thing I did was go to a CAT scale and get weights for the front and rear axles which is what I used to get the recommended pressures on Michelin's guide for the tires. That's why I'm confused why the dealer said run max psi for the tires, when according to my weights and the chart, I should be running far less...

There is some faint cracking on the sidewalls, so I was thinking of maybe seeing if Michelin would prorate them and let me trade up to the XPS rib tires...
Which Forester did you get and what are the weights? You must have one of the smaller models to have the psi on the tires in the 50's. if that's the case it is what it is. I would go 5 or 10 psi higher than what the Coach weighed at.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #6

We do have the smaller 2301. According to the weigh ticket, we're at 3620 lbs on the front axle and 7360 lbs on the rear, which is what I'm using to get the recommended pressures from Michelin's inflation chart.

I guess what the question really comes down to is if I'm hurting anything by driving around with the tires inflated to the max recommended PSI (80)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Which Forester did you get and what are the weights? You must have one of the smaller models to have the psi on the tires in the 50's. if that's the case it is what it is. I would go 5 or 10 psi higher than what the Coach weighed at.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

That makes sense- I'm wondering though, if there would be any benefit to going to a tire like the XPS Rib which I've read other people recommend, or another steel belted sidewall tire?

I guess in my mind there's a difference between the same tire that I use on my cargo van, and something on an RV that's got a lot more constant weight and stress on it- but maybe I'm overthinking things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
They are light truck tires because you are driving an rv with a light truck chassis.

It is still a Ford truck under there, and that is why you are running a 17 inch rim/tire combo.

80 psi is what the LT tires carry the most weight at.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #8

Yes you are on the right track with the tire pressures. You do not want to run at 80 lbs. that pressure would reduce tire contact with the road. I would go 5 lbs above what the chart says of course up to the max of 80 lbs which you are not near.

I have been considering the xps rib as my next tire also. Apparently it has less cold weather traction.

I'm not rving in the winter however.