Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I feel the exact same way. I too don't use the Elite antenna about 80% of the time. The Go2 was available for $239 and the mini router for $159. I'll bet I would be just as happy with the Mini Router.

But the router makes it so easy. We have 6-wifi devices (between the 2 of us!). All we do is set up the router for either our Verizon aircard or the available CG wifi and all 6-devices are all set to go since each one connects to the private network offered by the router.

There have been a few times that the Elite Antenna has helped out - but only a few. Most of the time it just helps you log on to the really bad wifi offered by the campground. No real benefit.

We also think that our Verizon aircard works better connecting to the Go2 via WiFi than when we tether it via USB cable. Does it seem that way to you?

Basically- my hotspot (JetPack) seems to get confused by being tethered. It resets itself fairly often and I can't keep a connection. I do generally just keep it connected via wifi.

And it's funny that you say 6... I was doing the math mentally and keep getting myself confused. I think I'm up to 11 or 12 in my world for the 4 of us.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I forgot to add one important Modification that worked GREAT

4. Solid Valve Stems
Like most of you I suffered through having to constantly top-up the 6-tires on my RV. Seems they always lost a few lbs of pressure before and sometime during each trip. Not a lot a pressure, but enough that it was always something to check. But before this trip I spent $130 on new valve stems extensions that are solid rather than using a screw on valve extension. Then spent another $120 having them installed on each wheel. So nearly $300 for valve stems. I gotta admit that's sobering to read as I write it. But the day I had them installed they set the tire pressure and 80 psi rear and 75 psi front. Then a month later when getting ready to leave I checked the pressure and they were still 80/75 on the dot. Then we drove to Tucson, stayed 3 weeks and before leaving I checked the tires again - still 80/75. So, eliminating the screw-on extensions made all the difference in how solid the tire pressure is in these tires. This is a welcome change.
I am losing a little with the screw on 'J" outer valve , but none with the flexible inner extensions. Did you buy from Borg or the Tireman in Ridgecrest, CA?
__________________

__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I am losing a little with the screw on 'J" outer valve , but none with the flexible inner extensions. Did you buy from Borg or the Tireman in Ridgecrest, CA?
I went with Borg. (DL1FC for the Duallys - With 2 ea VHVS8225 Front stems)

I plan to get a TPMS and I wanted solid stems with the rubber stabilizer on the 6" stem to better contain and support the sensors. To mount them though the tires had to be removed, the bead broken, the old stem removed and the new stem installed. Then the tires had to be rebalanced, too. It took 3 hours at Discount Tire and the guy worked very quickly. So, it was worth the money it cost.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Basically- my hotspot (JetPack) seems to get confused by being tethered. It resets itself fairly often and I can't keep a connection. I do generally just keep it connected via wifi.
Again, we are seeing the same thing. The aircard drops the connection even when told not to ever pause it while tethered. When connected via WiFi it never drops the connection.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I went with Borg. (DL1FC for the Duallys - With 2 ea VHVS8225 Front stems)

I plan to get a TPMS and I wanted solid stems with the rubber stabilizer on the 6" stem to better contain and support the sensors. To mount them though the tires had to be removed, the bead broken, the old stem removed and the new stem installed. Then the tires had to be rebalanced, too. It took 3 hours at Discount Tire and the guy worked very quickly. So, it was worth the money it cost.
May drive over(15 minute away) and pickup a set. Why the fronts? Discount mounted them on my Winnebago.

I have a set on TPMS, but no 12v power port to attach with the cellphones, iPad on one and the Garmin on the other. I guess I could get a 2 port 12v adapter, but there is no space for another device.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Since we were going for a month-long trip and I knew the RV would be packed to the gills I decided to get the RV weighed the morning we left home. Full tank of gass, full propane, 2/3rds full fresh water, food, clothes, tools and supplies. Packed FULL.

As pretty much expected the weight came REALLY close to maximum weight. Within 200 lbs of max to be exact (close to 14,300 lbs) . And this is with us on board. I did weigh each wheel and so now I know more about what's happening when I load the unit.

Really we took too much stuff. But now I know that when packed to the max that I'm still a tiny bit under the limit.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Good on you for getting weighed!
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Since we were going for a month-long trip and I knew the RV would be packed to the gills I decided to get the RV weighed the morning we left home. Full tank of gass, full propane, 2/3rds full fresh water, food, clothes, tools and supplies. Packed FULL.

As pretty much expected the weight came REALLY close to maximum weight. Within 200 lbs of max to be exact (close to 14,300 lbs) . And this is with us on board. I did weigh each wheel and so now I know more about what's happening when I load the unit.

Really we took too much stuff. But now I know that when packed to the max that I'm still a tiny bit under the limit.
Very good idea, Creativepart. Back in Sept, I had ours weighed after loading everything except food and we came in at 12,900, 1600 lbs under. But I have added a lot more stuff since then. Will stop on our way to Yosemite in a few weeks and recheck. I bet I'm close to the max.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Where does one get their RV weighed? I was thinking about doing that now since it is brand new and I have nothing it at this point except what was delivered with the RV.

RVr
__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Where does one get their RV weighed? I was thinking about doing that now since it is brand new and I have nothing it at this point except what was delivered with the RV.

RVr
Out here in California, I go to any of the CAT Scales located along the Interstate. They usually have them at the truck stops. Cost $7 but it only give you the front, rear and total axle weight. Doesn't do individual wheel weight.
__________________

__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, modifications

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.