Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #421

This is the link for 2016-19 intakes but shows the old one.
https://5startuning.com/product-cate...d-air-intakes/
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
The ones sitting in my garage, are Thomas Payne “Momentum Theater Marquee Collection” in Jaleco chocolate, hard to find a good picture of the whole unit. There is 70” of room where the couch is, I double checked at the showroom and they should fit no problem with the wider centre console. Attachment 167185
https://youtu.be/jq_gHXyqiJI
Those are what we have in our Sandpiper - very comfortable and the heat and massage works great!!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #423
Certified Curmudgeon

Thanks. I will have to follow up on that after you get the verdict on the tune.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Those are what we have in our Sandpiper - very comfortable and the heat and massage works great!!!
Fantastic, thanks, I can't wait to get them in hopefully this weekend. Still need a bit more melting here to get my rig out of the storage lot. The winter that will never end lol.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Thanks. I will have to follow up on that after you get the verdict on the tune.
I got a reply first thing this morning from 5 Star, it's $65 for 1-2 tune updates via email. I'll have to go get the serial number from the SCT tuner to finalize the order.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #426
Certified Curmudgeon

That is very reasonable. 5 Star takes care if their customers. They sent me a new tune and SCT programmer in exchange for my locked programmer that I was unable to unlock on my totaled Coach. The cost was less than 1/2 of a new purchase. Worth every penny.
Right now, the K&N will not fit so I’ll have to wait a bit.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #427

Everyone seems to love the 5 Star Tune. Have you folks seen that much of a difference. I am not pulling a toad. I have been wondering where to put this on my priority list. Is there a big difference when not towing. There are some mountains that I barely make it up at 40 mph - not wanting to rev too high, and imagining the rate at which gas is being sucked out of the tank. Then in tow mode down the other side trying to keep it under 65. Sometimes I go the long way (pay tolls). It is a longer distance and also has some steep hills, but probably uses no less gas and is easier on the brakes and transmission. What specific differences have you all experienced with the 5 Star tune?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #428
Certified Curmudgeon

Well, it is a mod so I think this discussion fits here...
My 1st tune was in a 18,000lb F-53 Chassis. I put it in after our 1st cross country (actually international) trip. The Triton V10 can rev very high. When it does, it roars. So loud we could not hold a conversation or hear the radio. The causal factor was mostly the shift strategy used by Ford in their 5 Speed transmission. We do tow but our car only weighs 1410 lbs so it is not a load issue. The 5Star tune, specially designed for my application, corrected the shift points and allowed the use of overdrive (torque converter) in the tow mode. With the 5Star tune, both tow mode and regular are the same shift strategy. Tow mode adds brake downshift for steep hill descent. I attribute the combination of reasonable shifting and a bit more power to the .5 mpg increase in fuel economy we experienced over the course of 3 years of travel (35,000 miles). With that said, the F-53 had the 362hp 30 valve Triton with factory headers.
Now we have the 5Star custom tune on our E-450 with the 6 speed transmission and 305 hp 20 valve Triton. The pre tune shifting was OK and the power was “adequate”. After installing the tune we took a 500 mile trip but no mountains. Immediately noticeable was a significant increase in power. Enough to push me back in the seat under WOT acceleration merging on the interstate. I had to ease off to hit the gap. The shifting was crisp, clean and right in the low-middle end of the power band. A perfect place to be.
We also experienced a very quiet cab. So my opinion on the value of the tune on E-450 is very positive. I will have more experience after this Summers adventure which will take us to MI, then to San Diego, CA, North to Portland, OR and back to the swamp. About 10,000 miles more or less.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #429

Thanks Duckogram. I don't know about the administrators of the overall forums, but I started this thread and had to give it a title but I welcome discussion on anything having to do with the 2801QS. Perhaps I should have given it a broader title, but that was what ?I was thinking at the time. I will see what I have left after the yearly service, recliners, maybe new foam for dinette cushions, and possibly agm batteries. All other comments welcome. I am enjoying the sharing of ideas and experiences.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #430

Wait what? Lol Check the first post
Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #431

oops! Sorry, I thought I started one on this subject. ?I should have looked to confirm first. I stand corrected.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #432

Lol it’s all good, the more info we can get here the better.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #433

The rv is still stuck in the snow at the storage lot but I spent the day working on it. The couch is out and ready for the recliners, it was pretty easy even by myself. It disassembled into 8 pieces and fit in the back of my SUV. The frame was attached to the slide with 4 lag screws that were loose and put in crooked. I should be able to get the new recliners installed tomorrow if I can get them hauled over to the lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5206.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	168291

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	168292

Name:	IMG_5216.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	168294

I figured I might as well have a crack at the SAM-1 range hood fan replacement. Not a job for the faint of heart LOL. Removal of the hood was easy just four screws and disconnect the wiring following the pictures in the instructions. Then the fan unit is removed from the hood, some are attached with screws but my Heng was spot welded in 10 or so places. They came out fairly easy with a center punch and a spot weld drill. Then the new unit is attached with 4 screws and wired in. It comes with a new outside vent with a screen and no flappy door, there is a sliding vent control on the inside. I stayed with the stock vent, I'll probably remove the flappy door eventually. I sealed up the connection to the outside vent with vent tape it wasn’t the best job done at the factory hidden behind the black tin trim piece. The new tin wire guard gets trimmed a couple inches and attached with one of the mounting screws. Reinstalling was a little tricky by myself but I propped it up with some boxes and books until I could get the screws started.
But its done and works amazing, a three position LED light and a quiet powerful fan with 3 speeds. Hopefully it should help not setting off the smoke detector every time you touch the oven lol.

Name:	IMG_5215.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	168293
Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #434

Tombsy:

You might want to leave the flappy door on just to help keep the bugs out of the vent duct. I can see them building something between the sliding vent part that you describe as "inside" and the flappy door part, which is "outside." I'm envisioning at least an inch or two of unprotected duct there, perfect for mud daubers or whatever.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #435
Certified Curmudgeon

Remodel Looking good so far. What are you going to do with the cup holder/trim piece?

The fan and inside vent door is nice. Had one on our old Jayco D-Legacy. Much more convenient than going out to open the vent you forgot.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #436

Thanks, I figured I’d check the clearance first to see if I can leave the shelf but you’ve got me thinking now it would probably be unusable with the recliners in anyway. So it will probably come out. There are 4 cup holders on the recliners with the center section so I guess we won’t miss them.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Tombsy:

You might want to leave the flappy door on just to help keep the bugs out of the vent duct. I can see them building something between the sliding vent part that you describe as "inside" and the flappy door part, which is "outside." I'm envisioning at least an inch or two of unprotected duct there, perfect for mud daubers or whatever.

Good point, we don’t get as many of the same bugs up in the North but we still get spiders and such. So a screen is probably in order if the flap comes off. I think I saw Duck put one on, gotta love this forum even though it costs me $$.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Thanks, I figured I’d check the clearance first to see if I can leave the shelf but you’ve got me thinking now it would probably be unusable with the recliners in anyway. So it will probably come out. There are 4 cup holders on the recliners with the center section so I guess we won’t miss them.

I hope to get mine done this week. The shelf and cup holders are history.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I hope to get mine done this week. The shelf and cup holders are history.

Just saw this for tomorrow, man it never ends.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4146213/c...over-24-hours/
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #440

Snowed all day today. Spring should not be officially declared until May 1.

Tags
280, forester, modifications