Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #481
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
I had my dealer install a tall Dometic 320 with sprayer.
Can you post a pic of the 320 and maybe some edge to wall, cabinet, door dimensions please. I would like to put in a 320 elongated bowl w/ rim flush but it looked too big to close the door. I had a 310 before and it squirted out when I had high park pressure.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #482
DaLexusGuy

Water in Luggage Compartments

AbdRahim,

I wish you well in your efforts to keep all water out of your compartments.

After observing how poorly mine were mounted/sealed on my unit (and finding more gaps than the Smokey Mountains), I have completely given up and started calling them "vessels". At this point I am not expecting any of them to stay dry. Sad yes, but realistic.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #483
DaLexusGuy

Dometic 320 photos (installed in a 2018 Forester 2801QS)

Duckogram:

Here are some photos, as requested.

I don't have a tape measure with me tonight but these photos might suffice. My elongated Dometic 320 seems to fit fine with good perimeter clearances and still room to move around.

Also, I don't have said squirting issues but I always use a 40psi water pressure control valve.

(PS: That was weird uploading toilet photos to the forum)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4375.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	186931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4376.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	186932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4377.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	186933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4378.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	186934  
Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #484
Certified Curmudgeon

Thank you Sir. That assuaged my concerns because I can clearly see that the unit sits much further back on the base centerline thereby negating the elongation.
I’m going to go with the 320. The “squirter” is only the 310 that has the angled holes in the cast bowl. The 320 is a true rim flush so it really cant squirt.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #485

Quote:
AbdRahim,

I wish you well in your efforts to keep all water out of your compartments.

After observing how poorly mine were mounted/sealed on my unit (and finding more gaps than the Smokey Mountains), I have completely given up and started calling them "vessels". At this point I am not expecting any of them to stay dry. Sad yes, but realistic.

Sorry to hear that, Leo. I cannnot accept that. So far, I have stopped the inflow around the thumb locks by silicon I get around the black inserts that they side into. One gasket was leaking at the top of the door. They installed with a dip or low spot, so water would collect there and eventually seep in instead of running around the perimeter of the door. I shaved dum-dum [the stuff the telephone company uses to seal around the wire coming into the S&B (more accurately stick and plastic) house] above the gasket.

Now water seems to be coming in at the bottom of the other door. This gasket was not installed completely on the lip, but the edge goes under the corner of the door. I am trying to add different kinds of gaskets on the lip edge as well as Silaprene on the bottom of the frame, where there is a screw at the spot where the frame joint is. I will probably have to remove the screw to do it properly. For now I just put the stuff along the joint - inside and outside and around the screw head. After the next rain I will know my progress.

Wish I had 1/2 million $ for a really good coach. Haha!
Saw the fixit guy the other day working on one of those parked next to me (brand new Anthem. I guess they are all the same.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #486

Well it was a bit of work but the gate is finished and the rig is home, got it winterized today there’s snow in the forecast this weekend. (What a country [emoji22]). But it will be amazing having the coach at home, I can catch up on some maintenance and the most important NEW MODS lol.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4897.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	187618
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #487
Certified Curmudgeon

Nice set up. We started the slow journey home. In Taos now. Was going to visit just North of Denver but the snow is flying so we’re turning South.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:32 PM   #488

Enjoy the sun, I’m jealous [emoji106], safe travels.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #489
DaLexusGuy

Post About this Solera Awning Controller Recall....

...there has to be WAY more to the story of why the awning controller box would need to be replaced.

If anyone REALLY knows the scoop, please let us in on it. But, just like in the TV show Dragnet..."just the facts, please". If you have some FACTUAL insider-type knowledge you can impart, we'd (as in the whole group here) would really appreciate it.

Again, please no guesses, conjecture or opinions. I am not interested in starting a "fake news" thread.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #490
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
...there has to be WAY more to the story of why the awning controller box would need to be replaced.

If anyone REALLY knows the scoop, please let us in on it. But, just like in the TV show Dragnet..."just the facts, please". If you have some FACTUAL insider-type knowledge you can impart, we'd (as in the whole group here) would really appreciate it.

Again, please no guesses, conjecture or opinions. I am not interested in starting a "fake news" thread.

Thanks!
What recall??????? I’m in the dark on this.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #491

Quote:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V242-2294.PDF

Thanks!
I had a minor problem with the Smart Arm and while resolving the issue direct with LCI the tech rep had me check the wiring on the controller. He said the Forester was not affected but since I had had the controller replaced under warranty he wanted to be sure the wiring was okay. If you look at the back of the controller you will know if it’s sealed correctly in order to be waterproof.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #492
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I had a minor problem with the Smart Arm and while resolving the issue direct with LCI the tech rep had me check the wiring on the controller. He said the Forester was not affected but since I had had the controller replaced under warranty he wanted to be sure the wiring was okay. If you look at the back of the controller you will know if it’s sealed correctly in order to be waterproof.
I can do that. Where is this controller?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I can do that. Where is this controller?
It’s at the base of the forward arm. Has the lights indicator and arrow symbols you press to move the awning in and out. The covers on it are held in place with pressure, no screws. Pop the covers off and you’ll see the wiring. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #494
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
It’s at the base of the forward arm. Has the lights indicator and arrow symbols you press to move the awning in and out. The covers on it are held in place with pressure, no screws. Pop the covers off and you’ll see the wiring. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow.
That would be great. TIA
Ducky
Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #495
DaLexusGuy

Forest River Awning Recall Info.

em-dee: Apparently you were mis-informed. (Some) Foresters ARE included.

From ConsumerAffairs.com:

Forest River is recalling 2,582 model year 2019 Coachmen Work & Play and Adrenaline recreational trailers, model year 2018-2019 Forest River Forester & XLR recreational trailers and model year 2018 Forest River Rockwood recreational trailers.

The Solera awning may deploy while the trailer is moving, which could increase the risk of a crash.

What to do: Forest River will notify owners via mail, and dealers will replace the awning controller, free of charge.

The recall is expected to begin September 22, 2018.

Owners may contact Forester Customer Service at 1-574-206-7600
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #496

Quote:
em-dee: Apparently you were mis-informed. (Some) Foresters ARE included.

From ConsumerAffairs.com:

Forest River is recalling 2,582 model year 2019 Coachmen Work & Play and Adrenaline recreational trailers, model year 2018-2019 Forest River Forester & XLR recreational trailers and model year 2018 Forest River Rockwood recreational trailers.

The Solera awning may deploy while the trailer is moving, which could increase the risk of a crash.

What to do: Forest River will notify owners via mail, and dealers will replace the awning controller, free of charge.

The recall is expected to begin September 22, 2018.

Owners may contact Forester Customer Service at 1-574-206-7600
Thanks for that info. My conversation with LCI was about a week before they put this info out. When the replacement controller installed by my dealer didn’t work I went directly to LCI. Obviously they knew something was going on because the rep immediately said they had had some problems with controller wiring failing due to water intrusion.

I’ll post the pictures shortly.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #497

Here are photos of the “unaffected” controller. Note the arrow in the first pix. That points to the correct installation where the removable lower piece fits under the upper shroud. It can easily be installed over the shroud which is problematic because that will allow water seepage. The cover is removed by squeezing the bottom and then pull out.

Here’s the area that can be a problem. As long as there is plenty of sealant over the wires you should be ok. If you don’t see this much sealant I suggest you contact LCI.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #498

emm-dee:

If someone's cover is over the upper piece, can't it just be removed and reinstalled under the upper piece?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
emm-dee:

If someone's cover is over the upper piece, can't it just be removed and reinstalled under the upper piece?
Yes. Very easy to do. Probably best for all to check the cover to verify it’s installed correctly. It takes just a few seconds to remove or replace and it's very easy to incorrectly install over the top shroud.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #500
Certified Curmudgeon

I must be missing something. My awning arm is 1/2 as deep as the one pictured and only has a thin plastic shroud over the wires that enter the coach wall near the bottom. No control box but lots of silicone sealing the hole. There are only 4 wires. One on each arm for the speakers and two more on the forward arm. One for motor power and one for led strip power. I guess mine is different. Probably something to do with the computer control on the Forester that the Sunseeker does not have.

Tags
280, forester, modifications