Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Mounting an cb antenna

I decided that after the two window mounted antenna fell off that I am going to mount a real antenna. Has anyone else done this, how long did the bolts have to be? I am think of going through on the drivers side long narrow compartment.

Matt Davis
2014 forester
Fr27davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Bus Driver

Matt, I am going to use a Fiberglass FireStik and a Kalibur KVAN Stainless Steel Hood Channel Mobile Antenna Mount that looks like this. I bought mine on ebay

It mounts in the Hood Channel and attaches with screws on the bottom two holes. It sticks out between the fender and the hood. I will use a Firestik firering coax to attach to the radio

Just trying to be the person my Dog thinks I am
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

I don't have a hood to attach that too lol.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr27davis View Post
I don't have a hood to attach that too lol.
Not sure why you posted your question in the Forester section. Might try Georgetown as it may be more appropriate for answers

Just trying to be the person my Dog thinks I am
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Cool

I installed a FireStik NGP (non ground plane) CB antenna on my Class C Coachman Prism.

After a lot of research and consideration of many alternatives, I took the 'plunge' and drilled two small holes through the sidewall on the drivers side just forward of the little side window in the over cab bunk. I figured if I screwed up I could simply caulk in a little round patch button over the hole. Fortunately I was able to drill just one pair of holes and successfully mounted the 4-ft. Firestick on the 1st try.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

Used the Firestik NGP Kit to do my all fiberglass Mirada MH..

Firestik NGP Side Mount CB Antenna Kit | Right Channel Radios

I use a 4 foot antenna with mine which brings my total height to 13 fee.

Hope this helps..
Channel 13 Good Sam RV channel
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

Using the same one just 3'. Did the bolts they gave u work or did u get longer ones.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
07 Coachman Legend 42`

If you're wondering about the bolt length, are you assuming you will be pinching the two plates between the outer and interior walls, therefore needing longer bolts? If so, that install won't work because the foam insulation between the outer skin and interior wall will just crush as you try and tighten down.
When I installed a Firestik NGP on my Georgetown, I cut an opening, no larger than what a wire mold electrical box would cover, to expose the inside of the outer plywood wall skin. Drilled my holes and mounted the antenna bracket. The bolts that came with were plenty long enough because you're now pinching between the outer plywood skin only. After routing the cable to its desired path, I covered my hole with the wire mold electrical box and cover and it looked beautiful and professional.
Take care in what you do with any leftover cable, following Firestik's recommendations, so you don't screwup your reception.
Hope this helps...!! Post back and let us know how you made out!

2005 Georgetown 342DS XL

1987 HD Ultra Glide Classic
TrippinOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #9

Great idea. Thanks
Old 09-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

On the Mirada the bolts were plenty long enough as I took off the inside panel between the windshield and the side window.. The extra cable I pushed up into the ceiling above the drivers seat.
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #11

I used hose clamps to hold a Freightliner Casida mount on the mirror bracket of my Forrester. This mount has a vertical post, to which I attached a Firestik with standard mounting bracket. ?Use (No ground plane) 3ft antenna. Near perfect match and looks pretty good.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mount