Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

My Atwood ducted 15000 btu ac/heat pump is draining inside the coach

It stopped draining outside and down the roof. Right now I have a bucket on the floor under the ceiling unit. Any ideas?

V/R
rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #2

My Atwood ducted 15000 btu ac/heat pump is draining inside the coach

I am adding some more info. 2018 2501TS. I am in Florida at an RV park so the unit is under load. It has been draining fine for the last 2 weeks. Today nothing is draining out and down the gutters on the roof. It is coming down from inside the a/c unit through the vents. Thanks. rch
Old 01-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

It could be the A/C drain pathways on the roof are blocked. You would need to get on the roof and remove the A/C cover to inspect the drainage passages. If the drains are blocked, you should see a puddle of water that is working its way into the RV.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

Pretty sure this is not the complete problem but call Dometic and ask about Service bulletin 3315930.010. It involves new diverters in the unit, etc. I had minor leaking and did the mod..problem solved. They sent the parts at no charge. Easy install.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Remove the cover? I am in my first month. Is removing the cover fairly obvious or am I in for a bad time.
V/R. rch
Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Removing cover is easy. You should see a few large head screws that hold the fiberglass cover on. While working on the roof try to distribute weight if possible.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

Check out You Tube videos on this subject. Removing the cover is not hard, usually some screws around the cover bottom need to be removed. Being careful on the roof is important. I am assuming that your roof can be safely walked upon.

The evaporator coil under the cover has a drip pan that may have clogged drain holes.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Been there, done that, posted the results.

First suggestion is that you remove the mesh filter and clean it. Following that,
and now that you are no longer raining inside, read this;

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1896310

I am also at an RV park in FL. The humidity increased to rediculous over the last couple of days. Thats why you found the design problem. The fix is free but they still do not have the garnish to cover the old holes.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
It could be the A/C drain pathways on the roof are blocked. You would need to get on the roof and remove the A/C cover to inspect the drainage passages. If the drains are blocked, you should see a puddle of water that is working its way into the RV.
This is usually the problem. Easy fix. Don’t sweat it.

Bruce
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Until you can have the "fix" linked above installed just remove the air filter from the A/C unit located inside your Forester. The filter acts as a funnel and routes the water down to its base causing the drip. Pull the air filter and the funnel is gone...and so is most of the dripping...

The "fix" does leave some interesting holes in the ceiling... If Dometic doesn't get off their butt and come up with a new garnish before spring I suspect they will be hearing from my DW...
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #11

Thanks to all. I called Atwood and the “fix” is on the way. My manual shows no easy way to remove the filter. 6 caps then 6 screws. Is this the only way to pull the filter? Thanks rcg
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
Thanks to all. I called Atwood and the “fix” is on the way. My manual shows no easy way to remove the filter. 6 caps then 6 screws. Is this the only way to pull the filter? Thanks rcg
Yes, that’s the only way. The new kit makes it easier.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Pretty sure this is not the complete problem but call Dometic and ask about Service bulletin 3315930.010. It involves new diverters in the unit, etc. I had minor leaking and did the mod..problem solved. They sent the parts at no charge. Easy install.
I have a 2017(2016 built) 3051s, the only thing I have had a problem with the A/C is when you use the heat with the generator on the A/C goes on.

thanks
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Here is some good news for you. While there are 6 caps there should only be 4 screws so just do the corners. That also means you will only have 4 obnoxious holes after the new grille is installed. You can use a wall paper seam roller to minimize the remains of the old grille.

I’m with RedLdr1 on the delay issue.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
I have a 2017(2016 built) 3051s, the only thing I have had a problem with the A/C is when you use the heat with the generator on the A/C goes on.

thanks

A/C does come on but not in cool mode. You probably have a Heat Pump. Compressor comes on but the reversing valve comes on and puts heat inside and cool outside.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
My manual shows no easy way to remove the filter.
The filter I'm referring to is the small wire mesh filter housed in the front, as in closest to the cab area, of the interior A/C shroud. On our old interior shroud there was a indentation, one big one in the front center of the unit, to grab and pull down on to remove the air filter. That air filter acts as a guide to funnel the water in to the interior... Almost all of the water we had ran out around that area where the filter is located in our case.

Removing the air filter is the "last resort" fix I was given by FR when they did part of the real fix, the kit wasn't out yet, at the FROG Rally.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The filter I'm referring to is the small wire mesh filter housed in the front, as in closest to the cab area, of the interior A/C shroud. On our old interior shroud there was a indentation, one big one in the front center of the unit, to grab and pull down on to remove the air filter. That air filter acts as a guide to funnel the water in to the interior... Almost all of the water we had ran out around that area where the filter is located in our case.

Removing the air filter is the "last resort" fix I was given by FR when they did part of the real fix, the kit wasn't out yet, at the FROG Rally.

RedLdr1: I see the pull down. How hard should it be to pull. Is there some release I need to push, or do I just pull harder? I don’t want to break something. My parts won’t be here for a few more days and it is warm here. I need to keep the air working. The pull down filter is not in my user manual.

Thanks to all
V/R rch
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A/C does come on but not in cool mode. You probably have a Heat Pump. Compressor comes on but the reversing valve comes on and puts heat inside and cool outside.
It does have that option on the thermostat. The air comes out cool not cold from the A/C ducts.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #19

The pull down is down then straight toward the cab. Got it. Now the bad news. The first two rows over the intake were packed with crud. I may have solved my “negative” pressure issue. If not, the parts kit is on its way in.
Does anyone have any advice on setting the pair of sliders on the bottom of the inside unit towards the rear of the rig? They seem to close to divert the air into the ducts. Full closed, half closed, one side closed and the other open? Advice is appreciated. v/r rch
Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #20

Quote:
The pull down is down then straight toward the cab. Got it. Now the bad news. The first two rows over the intake were packed with crud. I may have solved my “negative” pressure issue. If not, the parts kit is on its way in.
Does anyone have any advice on setting the pair of sliders on the bottom of the inside unit towards the rear of the rig? They seem to close to divert the air into the ducts. Full closed, half closed, one side closed and the other open? Advice is appreciated. v/r rch
Just install the parts kit being sent. They replace the sliders you are looking at.

Tags
500, drain, forester, pump