Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer
My Service Experience

I have mentioned the leak that occurred on my RV roof last spring sporadically though my posts. I have heard many folks voicing their bad experiences and I've had bad experiences with multiple dealers myself. However, that's not Forest River. I thought this post might serve as a counter balance to the negative posts I've seen. Hopefully folks will see that Forest River does care and does put forth the extra effort after the sale if you give them a chance to show their metal.

I wasn't willing to risk a roof repair to any of them. So I bit the bullet and took the twelve hour haul up to Indiana to give the makers a crack at the repair. I found the failure while still in warranty. I expected FR to ask for the rig to be dropped while it was still in warranty but they surprised me by letting me have a traveling repairman patch the leak and continue camping until the end of a season. That's a big deal to me especially since the leak was found at the start of the camping season.

Fast forward to October. I have a limited set of days that I could take that drive and drop the rig. I had to match it up with the kids schedules. Their schedules didn't match up with the repair shops' but they were still willing to let me drop the rig even though it would sit on their lot until December before it would come up on their list for repair. That is another big deal to me. At this point they haven't seen the rig beyond photos and yet their service has blown away anyone else I've encountered in the RV industry to date.

On the way up to drop the rig my GPS/radio locked up. I could not clear it. I had to switch to using my phone. I added it to the punch list fully expecting to pay for a new unit.

The total list came down to:

Fix roof leak permanently
Replace cab over bunk
Replace damaged trim on bunk
Replace popped exterior trim
Replace the tension rod for the exterior awning
Fix a never fixed leak in the air bags
Replace a noisy fan in the bathroom (a request not covered under warranty)
Replace a cracked vent cover.

After the rig drop, Mike Jankowski, the poor guy who coordinated my service request, dropped me off at the rental car place. He's a great guy. In fact everyone I talked to at the factory was wonderful. They are good people.

The repairs were done in under a month. I just got the rig back today. My rig was delivered free of charge. Yet again another major plus on the service side of things. When delivered, the gas tank was filled back to 3/4 full. Again, no charge.

I went through the rig. They replaced a sink that was damaged by desiccant that I wasn't expecting. They replaced the bathroom fan. They fixed the roof, reinforced it and redid the interior vinyl. All of the water damaged trim was replaced. The bunk foam was completely replaced. They fixed the airbag air leaks that nobody could. They upgraded the down spouts on the exterior to direct water off of the rig and keep it from running down the sides. In short they fixed everything plus some. The best part? They fixed it all under the warranty even though I delivered the rig out of warranty. My back of the napkin estimate put the repair cost at over 5000.00 and they covered every penny of it. Forest Rivers' service after the sale has been exemplary in my experience. When I decide to trade for another rig it will be another from Forest River.

HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
That is great news. Makes me worry less when we start using our new Berkshire this spring and start to find the problems that will come.

Thanks for posting.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
RV Newbie
I saw a poll floating around here in this forum where 86%? of Forest River product owners would buy another Forest River product. This kinda reinforces my opinion that internet forums tend to attract more negative reviews. No fault of the posters, it's just the nature of internet forums.

Glad to hear about a positive experience. I am still trying to decide where to put my money.
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle: 6.2L, 403hp, 417 ft-lb., 4x2, 3.42 axle ratio, Base Weight 5527, Front GAWR 3250, Rear GAWR 4200, GVWR 7100, Max Payload 1573, Max Towing 8300.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It's comforting to all of us that are new to the FR family.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
We have a 2014 Cedar Creek that we purchased new. We have had several major problems with it, but Cedar Creek has taken care of all issues. Yes it has been a pain to have to take the RV in for service, but everything has been covered by warranty. While we would have liked everything to have been perfect from the beginning, we are very pleased with Cedar Creek's willingness to take care of all the issues.
Bbbarker194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
This is why I went from a Fleetwood to FR. I have never looked back. Brian stays in the forum and helps resolve technical issues for those of us who like to repair the smaller things that go bad on our rigs. Although FR can control their workmanship, they can't control 100% the quality of the components they receive from their vendors. The later is their biggest challenge!

2016 Days Camping so Far: 24
2013 3051S Forester
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote