Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by condojj48 View Post
I am by no means an expert with respect to electronics but I had a green screen monitor on my desk in the mid 80's and used a computer in my job daily for 30 years. I have an IPod, IPad, IPhone, 2 laptops, a desktop, and several digital cameras and use them all the time.

I have found this system challenging and I can't imagine how folks who have never used a computer could manage this system. Most folks my age (68) have used computers but I know a lot of people who get there butts kicked by smart phone basic operations.

When the factory sent me a replacment control module I found where the "old" one is located. I removed a panel and was confronted with a huge pile of wiring and three of these modules. I was astonished there would need to be that much wire in the trailer. Gives me great pause!! Sure hope the fuses work when there is a short in a wire.

The six point levelling system was not calibrated correctly at the factory. The first time I used it the trailer danced all over as each jack did its job. Worked flawlessly I thought!! Front to back perfectly level but side to side not good. Had to read the manual I got on line and reprogrammed the "set point" where the trailer is now level. This was all done using the app on my IPhone. All the while I am doing this I am thinking "why me", why couldn't this thing be push one button and all levelled? My other older trailers/motor home always meant blocks and cranking jacks. I foolishly thought my levelling world would be one button-nope. Well maybe it will be now that it is programmed. Can't wait to see what it does when I push the button to have to go to hitch height automatically.

I hope I am the only person who owns one of these Columbus lemons. Too many things going wrong to classify it as anything short of that. Must have been built on a Friday. LOL
It's interesting that the bulk of new sales is too people over the age of 50 and who's experience with computers and technology varies widely. I am never an early adopter although I am very technology savvy. My wife on the other hand, while she can operate a smart phone and a computer, would never be able to figure out a MYRV system. So I guess any RV manufacturer that builds these into the RV without any option for switches even as a backup are potentially limiting there sales to a limited group of 50+boomers?

Although I'm sure that's not what the marketing guys are saying.....
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #22

We are by no means "tech" people, but so far we have found the tablet easy to use / read, and with "touch" pictures...Lol !

The rep for the tablets was at our dealer when we picked it up and programmed the app on my cell ( I would have never figured that out while on the road).

For us, it would be nice to also have regular light switches in the bedroom, and for outside lights.

So far, so good, and fingers crossed there are no "tech" issues with it !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post

For us, it would be nice to also have regular light switches in the bedroom, and for outside lights.
That would be my single biggest pet peeve! However, if I could hook up an Alexa to the MYRV system and make it all voice activated I might rethink my position!
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #24

I haven't decided if I like it or hate it yet, as long as it works I'm happy. I do hate to have to use it to turn on the lights. However when I am sitting at the table and want to turn them off using the phone app is pretty handy. My grand kids think it is cool, the fact that they may play with it scares me.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #25

It's a solution in search of a problem.

These "smart house" things haven't taken off in houses that can be 2 or 3 stories high, 100 ft long, and 2,000-4,000 square feet. Why in the world the manufacturers think I would need it for a 22 ft box that's 8 ft wide is beyond me. How lazy can you get?

"It’s not always right to retain an old technology just because it works, but by the same token, it’s not always right to adopt a new one simply because it exists."

Frederic D. Schwarz

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's a solution in search of a problem.

These "smart house" things haven't taken off in houses that can be 2 or 3 stories high, 100 ft long, and 2,000-4,000 square feet. Why in the world the manufacturers think I would need it for a 22 ft box that's 8 ft wide is beyond me. How lazy can you get?

"It’s not always right to retain an old technology just because it works, but by the same token, it’s not always right to adopt a new one simply because it exists."

Frederic D. Schwarz
I agree..............and may the Schwarz be with you!
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #27

I wonder if some day in the future,,, the only mussels people will have will be there fingers ??? I think many people have already forgot how to talk to each other !!!
All I hear people say now a days is,,, TEXt ME !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote