Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 AM   #1

MyRV Remote Monitor System

We are getting close to closing a deal on a 2017 2801QS. Looks like the MyRV is a standard feature now. Can anyone that has experience with the MyRV in the 2801 verify if you have manual switches as well. I'm not sure I want to rely on a tablet/phone to be my only means of controlling major components such as slides, levers, awning, etc. I can just see this going wrong in so many ways. Thanks for any input!
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 AM   #2

Can't answer your questions, but I'd be careful.

See this recent thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...so-123880.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

I'm thinking about seeing if the 2801 can be ordered with the old style switches. I know it seems like a step backwards but sometimes going forward is not a good thing. I'm just really concerned about the reliability of the system.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

I think it's a nice feature....but personally I'd only be interested if it's in addition to the manual controls, not in place of them.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

New technology requires ginny pigs, (people), to test the appliance. No cost to customers, under warranty, but the inconvenience, hardship, time, is a real pain. Don't need a glitch when you are hundreds of miles away. So, if you are ok with being in the "test group", go for it.in 2 or 3 years the bugs should be fixed, and the resale value will be there for you.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Joshua Cavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcryer View Post
I'm thinking about seeing if the 2801 can be ordered with the old style switches. I know it seems like a step backwards but sometimes going forward is not a good thing. I'm just really concerned about the reliability of the system.
Hoping that Joshua Cavitt will see this and post some additional information.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

You guys go first! I'll stick with proven switches!

myRV® Tablet

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
You guys go first! I'll stick with proven switches!

myRV® Tablet
I am with ilmor !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

If you want a 2801 with switches, I am about to put my 2016 2801QS up for sale. Going to the Tampa show with my eye on a 2017.

PM me if interested. Mine is well sorted out and ready to go at a big savings.
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
If you want a 2801 with switches, I am about to put my 2016 2801QS up for sale. Going to the Tampa show with my eye on a 2017.

PM me if interested. Mine is well sorted out and ready to go at a big savings.
Doubt we would drive to Florida but do you mind telling me why you are selling?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Doubt we would drive to Florida but do you mind telling me why you are selling?
When we bought her a year ago, we thought then and still do, that this is the absolute best compromise coach for TWO people.

Since we had been out of RVing for 2 years, we fell in love again with the open road. We have managed to put 13,000 miles on her just using her a week to 10 days at a time. We also realized we missed the ease a coach with more storage/CCC afforded when on the road for weeks at a time. Plus we still owe ourselves a trip via RV to the only state we haven't visited in the continental US, Alaska. When we last planned to do it, we had the Wanderlodge and figured on taking 3 months for that trip. Although our 2801 will do the trip just fine, I'm getting older and want a few more creature comforts for that trip.

Paul
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #12

We shied away from the 2801 due to the MyRV Connect. Signed papers today on a 2017 2800QS instead. Has everything the 2801 had except solid surface counter tops but the 2800 has full paint =)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
We shied away from the 2801 due to the MyRV Connect. Signed papers today on a 2017 2800QS instead. Has everything the 2801 had except solid surface counter tops but the 2800 has full paint =)
Not a bad choice at all... You won't get the cedar in the closet either BTW. We are quite happy with our 2800!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

Our 2861DS is in at RVW and it has the MyRV Remote system. We're making arrangements to pick it up sometime in the next few weeks, depending on the weather.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit nervous about the system. Time will tell. I'll let you all know how it works for us.....
Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

MYRV

We bought the 2017 Columbus 383 FB with the MYRV system. I was pretty excited about it and was anxious to use it and to use it with my IPhone. I was blinded to the fact there is no master panel with manual switches in this trailer. I assumed there would be a back up. NOPE!! Most of the features work well but I worry a lot about the system failing and leaving us high and dry. Awnings and slides out and it quits. OPPS!! Slides can be run in manually but awnings would be a pain.
Our electric water heater and water pump go off during the night. The stay lit and work all day but when we get up in the morning they are off. The factory tech told me the system has been around 3 years and he has never heard of this happening. Very good about it and sent me a new control unit. I installed it but we only stayed one night so not sure if that cured the problem. The water heater did stay lit but we didn't have the water pump on so not sure.
If I could do it over I would not buy a RV that has only the MYRV system for critical functions. Just my opinion.
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:24 AM   #16

There's been lots of discussion on this. One of the reasons I looked for a 2016. I love new technology but share the same feelings about a back up for the myRV[emoji768] system.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #17

I hope it turns out to be a Great system,,,
Sounds like trouble to me !!!
But who am I to judge,,, I still use a Flip Phone !!!
LOL !!!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #18

MYRV Control

I am by no means an expert with respect to electronics but I had a green screen monitor on my desk in the mid 80's and used a computer in my job daily for 30 years. I have an IPod, IPad, IPhone, 2 laptops, a desktop, and several digital cameras and use them all the time.

I have found this system challenging and I can't imagine how folks who have never used a computer could manage this system. Most folks my age (68) have used computers but I know a lot of people who get there butts kicked by smart phone basic operations.

When the factory sent me a replacment control module I found where the "old" one is located. I removed a panel and was confronted with a huge pile of wiring and three of these modules. I was astonished there would need to be that much wire in the trailer. Gives me great pause!! Sure hope the fuses work when there is a short in a wire.

The six point levelling system was not calibrated correctly at the factory. The first time I used it the trailer danced all over as each jack did its job. Worked flawlessly I thought!! Front to back perfectly level but side to side not good. Had to read the manual I got on line and reprogrammed the "set point" where the trailer is now level. This was all done using the app on my IPhone. All the while I am doing this I am thinking "why me", why couldn't this thing be push one button and all levelled? My other older trailers/motor home always meant blocks and cranking jacks. I foolishly thought my levelling world would be one button-nope. Well maybe it will be now that it is programmed. Can't wait to see what it does when I push the button to have to go to hitch height automatically.

I hope I am the only person who owns one of these Columbus lemons. Too many things going wrong to classify it as anything short of that. Must have been built on a Friday. LOL
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
When we bought her a year ago, we thought then and still do, that this is the absolute best compromise coach for TWO people.

Since we had been out of RVing for 2 years, we fell in love again with the open road. We have managed to put 13,000 miles on her just using her a week to 10 days at a time. We also realized we missed the ease a coach with more storage/CCC afforded when on the road for weeks at a time. Plus we still owe ourselves a trip via RV to the only state we haven't visited in the continental US, Alaska. When we last planned to do it, we had the Wanderlodge and figured on taking 3 months for that trip. Although our 2801 will do the trip just fine, I'm getting older and want a few more creature comforts for that trip.

Paul

Have you had any issues with noisy slides. If so please share

Golfersteve
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by condojj48 View Post
I am by no means an expert with respect to electronics but I had a green screen monitor on my desk in the mid 80's and used a computer in my job daily for 30 years. I have an IPod, IPad, IPhone, 2 laptops, a desktop, and several digital cameras and use them all the time.

I have found this system challenging and I can't imagine how folks who have never used a computer could manage this system. Most folks my age (68) have used computers but I know a lot of people who get there butts kicked by smart phone basic operations.

When the factory sent me a replacment control module I found where the "old" one is located. I removed a panel and was confronted with a huge pile of wiring and three of these modules. I was astonished there would need to be that much wire in the trailer. Gives me great pause!! Sure hope the fuses work when there is a short in a wire.

The six point levelling system was not calibrated correctly at the factory. The first time I used it the trailer danced all over as each jack did its job. Worked flawlessly I thought!! Front to back perfectly level but side to side not good. Had to read the manual I got on line and reprogrammed the "set point" where the trailer is now level. This was all done using the app on my IPhone. All the while I am doing this I am thinking "why me", why couldn't this thing be push one button and all levelled? My other older trailers/motor home always meant blocks and cranking jacks. I foolishly thought my levelling world would be one button-nope. Well maybe it will be now that it is programmed. Can't wait to see what it does when I push the button to have to go to hitch height automatically.

I hope I am the only person who owns one of these Columbus lemons. Too many things going wrong to classify it as anything short of that. Must have been built on a Friday. LOL
Yes it could have been a Friday,,, but if it was an RV or a Manufactured home,,, and was built in Indiana,,, I really dough the day of the week makes any difference !!!

Tags
remote