Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

New 2017 3171DS owner

Hello everyone! New to FR, moved up from a TT to the 3171, loving it so far (have had it for less than 24 hours).

Obviously there are quite a bit of differences between the class C and a TT but there are also a lot of similarities so I'm not totally helpless. But before I claim I know anything at all, I'd like to ask all of you experts if there's anything specific to the 2017 3171DS that I need to take a look at, be aware of, avoid doing, add to scheduled but undocumented maintenance, etc.... Really, if anyone has some great advice I'm all ears (both literally and figuratively )

Thanks for the add, can't wait to get on the road!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	187652  
vdhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #2

Beautiful rig. Good luck and safe travels.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Congrats on your new Forester and welcome to the FRF. As for your inquiry, you will get much better results asking specific questions rather that a shotgun (overhead) question which draws unrelated opinions on mostly irrelevant issues. If you want to read about general items, Tomsby has a great thread here more “2801mods” and I have one in the Sunseeker section.
Be safe and enjoy.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Fortunately I don’t have any specific questions, everything seems great so far, just making sure I’m not missing something that’s not so obvious. If I have specific issues this will be my first stop. 🤘🏻 Thanks!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new acquisition.. Good looking rig.
When opening and closing your rear slide, keep the button depressed for about 10sec to help keep the 2 motors in sync.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition.. Good looking rig.
When opening and closing your rear slide, keep the button depressed for about 10sec to help keep the 2 motors in sync.
Ok, I've never heard of that before but I think I had single motors on my previous TT. So what you're saying, just to clarify, is that when opening or closing, hold the button past open or closed to ensure they both extend or retract to the maximum extent. Got, it, thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdhm View Post
Ok, I've never heard of that before but I think I had single motors on my previous TT. So what you're saying, just to clarify, is that when opening or closing, hold the button past open or closed to ensure they both extend or retract to the maximum extent. Got, it, thanks!
My two cents additionally...the slides actuate much better with the engine running! I do love your color scheme. Mine is a boring white but I still love it!

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

Are you towing anything?
I have a Forest River Leprechaun 32' and these E450 Chassis most commonly require some Suspension Mods. There are MANY discussions about this subject to improve handling ad reduce "tail wag". Common upgrades include:
1) Steering Stabilizer (SafeTPlus or ???)
2) Ant-Sway Bars
3) Shock Upgrades (Koni or ???)
4) Alignment

I have personally seen significant handling improvements with these upgrades. I tow a 2016 GMC 4 door Diesel Truck and before /after improvements are very significant. Best to read more from others on this very popular subject.

Best of luck.
DontheRVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

Congratulations!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

My mods and additions

Quote:
Hello everyone! New to FR, moved up from a TT to the 3171, loving it so far (have had it for less than 24 hours).

Obviously there are quite a bit of differences between the class C and a TT but there are also a lot of similarities so I'm not totally helpless. But before I claim I know anything at all, I'd like to ask all of you experts if there's anything specific to the 2017 3171DS that I need to take a look at, be aware of, avoid doing, add to scheduled but undocumented maintenance, etc.... Really, if anyone has some great advice I'm all ears (both literally and figuratively )

Thanks for the add, can't wait to get on the road!!!
I have a 2015 Forester class C, 2501
Some of the stuff I have done:

Roof vent covers < $30.00 ea
Cam locks on all outside storage doors < $15.00 ea
Tint E450 door windows < $50.00 ea
Replace entry door window with tinted glass with shade < $125.00
I removed the onboard water filter, it was known to be a chronic leaker/breaker
Replaced the inside shower head with low flow RV model
Purchased front window blackout shade for E450 from Weatherteck
If you have a black glass cover on the gas range, put something on the glass as a reminder not to turn on the burners with the cover down...I had to replace the cover twice.
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:

I am assuming you have the Lippert schwintek inwall slide system. If so, you will see two gear racks mounted to the side of the slidebox. Checkout the videos on this slide, how it works and how to get it back in.
We have always held the button down an so far, no issues. The controller is mounted to the ceiling in the water filter storage bay. Just look up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538165866.959927.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	187737  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontheRVDude View Post
Are you towing anything?
I have a Forest River Leprechaun 32' and these E450 Chassis most commonly require some Suspension Mods. There are MANY discussions about this subject to improve handling ad reduce "tail wag". Common upgrades include:
1) Steering Stabilizer (SafeTPlus or ???)
2) Ant-Sway Bars
3) Shock Upgrades (Koni or ???)
4) Alignment

I have personally seen significant handling improvements with these upgrades. I tow a 2016 GMC 4 door Diesel Truck and before /after improvements are very significant. Best to read more from others on this very popular subject.

Best of luck.
Yes, we plan to flat tow a Jeep Wrangler. Thanks for the suspension suggestions!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyneil View Post
I have a 2015 Forester class C, 2501
Some of the stuff I have done:

Roof vent covers < $30.00 ea
Cam locks on all outside storage doors < $15.00 ea
Tint E450 door windows < $50.00 ea
Replace entry door window with tinted glass with shade < $125.00
I removed the onboard water filter, it was known to be a chronic leaker/breaker
Replaced the inside shower head with low flow RV model
Purchased front window blackout shade for E450 from Weatherteck
If you have a black glass cover on the gas range, put something on the glass as a reminder not to turn on the burners with the cover down...I had to replace the cover twice.

I have the vent covers already, was def gonna replace the universal locks, and I already have the shower head replacement (stock one sucks). Good advice on the rest of the stuff, I’ll take a look. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
Chief tinkerer

Welcome. Hmmm..... ok, I got one. I hope you don't need this one, but if your water tank fill spout gushes back at you if you try to fill at more than a dribble, then the fill hose has a sag between the fill opening and the tank and the fill water is trying to go uphill. Make yourself a 4' section of hose with only the female section to connect your hose to and gently push the 4' section with no end past the sag.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
Citrus County, Fl.

Keep a close eye on your riff seals, especially at the corners. All it takes is a pin hole. Water tends to pool, especially at the front corners
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Keep a close eye on your riff seals, especially at the corners. All it takes is a pin hole. Water tends to pool, especially at the front corners
+1. With a 2017 model, you will want to check the roof closely. Learning that's one of the most important areas to do maintenance on.

Congrats on the rig! Looks great. I have a 2018 2861DS, with the Cobalt paint scheme.
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester