Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

New #3051S Water Leak - Tub

Finally, got on the road for my four month summer trip. The last 3 months were spent checking the systems on the RV and making some improvements. I did run the shower after replacing the head and no leaks appeared over a month ago.

Tonight, I took my first shower and water is leaking from the tub outside wall where it meets the floor. I have the tub with a shower so-round that just sits near the top of the tub. My understanding caulking is not required because the tub wall has a higher lip behind the so-round.

So, currently I do not know of a way to access the bottom of the tub to see the source of the water. It could be the tub drain or something else like the tub where it meets the walls.

BTW...I had a damaged sink drain line under my bed that leaked when I first got my RV. But, I was able to locate the damaged hose and fitting. Forest River then sent me part directly and I made the repair.

Anyone else having problems with their tub/shower leaking?

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

I just ran a test by filling the tub several inches and pulling the plug. There was no sign of water leaking from the walls at the floor. So, I am leaning towards the shower so-round where it meets the tub. This seems like the logical place for this leak to start.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Does that tub have the sliding glass shower door? I've had those leak at the base. Unsatisfied with the factory sealing job, I removed the whole assembly, laid a bead of sealant on the tub, reset the door assembly on the bead, and never had water on the floor again. Before laying the sealant, I ran 2 strips of painters tape the length of the tub, 1 to line the assembly up perfect, 2 to keep any sealant that squished out from getting on the tub.

Just a thought.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Yes I have the sliding glass doors. But the leak is coming from the inside behind the tub and leaking out on the floor. It is coming from under the wall at the base. I am starting to believe it is the soround where it meets the top of the tub. There was not a lot of water but it seaped for a while after the shower. Maybe two tablespoons worth.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

What about the hot / cold supply? Easy to check by removing a few screws. Had those fittings drip before. Might be the wall surround, but I've never seen them leak. I know if I were putting a new surround in or redoing one, I'd lay a bead of sealant on the tub lip and set the wall. Trying to think of all angles here.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #6

On my Newmar Class A the hot & cold shower valve leaked only when turned on. I replaced it with a brass valve. Monday, I can start checking those possible causes.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

I replaced my kitchen sink faucet a month or so ago with a way nicer one. Had a small drip where the fitting threaded on the faucet. Just loosened and retightened and solved that. Seems to happen every now and then with the small gasket for one reason of another. My shower faucet is somewhat accessible from the back via under the kitchen counter. Checked it every now and then and so far no drips. Keep us posted on what the turn out is.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #8

Leak Update

I had some sealant tape used to install roof vents with me. So, I decided to try it around the tub surround and then take a shower. The leak still happened just like yesterday at the base of the tub wall. Water is seeping from under the bottom of the tub wall onto the bathroom floor. Some water is also seeping from under the left wall near the tub. It is not a lot of water just a few tablespoons worth.

My next inspection will be removing the tub/shower valve and checking for leaks. It only leaks when the water valve is turned on. BTW...I did fill several inches of water in the tub and pull the plug yesterday. But that did not leak any water out under the wall.

My 2010 Newmar Dutchstar had a cracked shower valve that leaked behind the surround when showering. This valves are only plastic and even on a $300,000+ coach is leaked. That was replaced with a solid brass valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubshower_edited-1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	34293  

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Plain Old Member

Sounds like you've about got it narrowed down. I have a good suspicion you might find the fitting or back side of the faucet leaking. Bad thing is, or worst case, water got in more places. You have the cut out in the osb floor for the tub drain under the tub with a little exposed wood. Probably didn't leak enough to affect it, and may not have gotten to it. But, p-trap is right below drain / below faucet. Not sure how you could access that. I added an access panel to one of my brother in laws campers just for that reason. Plumbing was leaking and coming out of wall.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I'm 99% sure it is at the shower tub flange where it is closest to the glass shower door.

Basically the "wall surround" sits on the tub base. That tub base has a 2" (approx) collar/flange that goes up. I think the supplier cuts a 45 degree angle on the flange where it meets the wall so that section will lay flat where the shower door installs. Perfectly level, the water hits the shower tub flange, rolls back into the shower pan.

If there is any amount of lean to the shower door, the water rides that flange all the way over to the shower door, then can sneak out at the 45 degree cut in the flange. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Commercial Member

This is an extreme case I found a few years back. The shower door gets installed there...and covers most of that...but if that 45 is cut too far back, it leaves a little gap at the bottom. Through some caulk in that section and it should push the water back into the pan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Showercorner.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	34337  

Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

I learn something every day. Never took a tub wall off, so now we all know what they look like from behind. Thanks for that picture and info Brian.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
MI Camperz

DH asks, "Why can't we take showers in the camper?"
Wife retorts: Because the moisture from showering is not good for TTs and they seem to inevitably leak...refer to point one. It does make a good extra closet, however.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Commercial Member

This is what it should look like. I noticed that the 45 angle is now molded into the tub base. I'm wondering if the shower supplier had enough of human error and decided to put it into the mold that way.

On a side note...why does this forum keep turning my pictures sideways unless I have edited the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shower Corner 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	34366  

Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #15

The only area I did not install the putty tape was where the shower door track turns under the faucet. If water is leaking in that location then I need to seal that area too. You can see from my previous photo the areas that I sealed around the tub.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #16

Ok, I sealed the area in the corner that you are showing in the photo. This is the right front inside corner where the shower track turns towards the faucet. Next, I took my normal shower and the leak still happened under the outside bottom wall, left side and corner. I am leaning again towards the faucet and will remove it in the morning for inspection. It would be impossible for me to take it back to my dealer for service because I am 625 miles from them.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #17

Leak Update

Today, I removed the shower valve face plate. Then ran water into the tub using the shower head. There was no visible signs of a water leak from the valve or hoses. After reinstalling the valve plate to the surround I caulked all of its edges. At that point I noticed a slight opening where the valve connects to the wall plate. So, I caulked around its edges to provide a seal.

Next, I removed the two sliding shower doors and the track it rides on. This gave me total access to the surround walls where they meet the tub. Then, I caulked the entire tub surround and put a small bead along the sliding door inside frame where it meets the tub.

Tomorrow, I can reinstall both shower doors and take a shower for the final test.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

I'm anxious to hear the results. Hopefully this will be the last of your water issues. Seems to have been your enemy for a while. I know you came into this MH an experienced RVer, but we never quit learning, and after many RV's and experiences you tend to become your own expert RV tech. I don't like problems, but I love the satisfaction of fixing them and sharing the info.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #19

I spent the last 3 months checking and tweaking the RV inside my shop. Since my first trip was 4 months in the Smoky Mountains I wanted to avoid problems. One thing I did not do was get into the shower and run it. Lesson learned....

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #20

I am doing everything possible to avoid returning to RV World in Nokomis, FL. They really disappointed me from the Salesman to the Service Dept. Still waiting for a thank you letter....lol

2013 Forester #3051SF