Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

New Forester 3011DS

Howdy All,

Newbe to this forum but not to camping/RV lifestyle. My first motorhome was a fleetwood Class C from back in the late 70's. Since that time have been through several different types of RV. From a truck and camper to travel trailers and a Class A that was sold to purchase a 2013 Forester 3011DS.

Just got back from our shakedown trip. Had a few small issues with the motorhome but the most significant issue was the steering. Had to fight the vehicle for control the whole trip. Mostly So Cal freeways at speed the thing wants to pull me all over the road.

I am not sure where the problem is comming from. tire pressure is good, the rig is not overloaded, weighed it, and I intend to have the alingment checks asap.

Would appreciate any feedback or ideas. Also if anyone has had a similar problem that was solved by installing aftermarket products please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks,

Campingtom
campingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Ours does the same thing, had a fifth wheel last and driving the Class C will wear you out. Just think it is the Class C's from what I have read. We also have the 3011 DS.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Cheap stuf first. Correct tire pressure. I would start with about five to eight lbs less then the tire manufactures recommended max as listed on the sidewall, not any door sticker. Make sure you are getting enough weight on front axle.

Cut the amount of fresh water you are packing. Only take what you need. Can you get water near your destination?

How many miles on it? Get it aligned by a good shop that understands MH's. There is a PDF file in the Sunseeker forum that has some suggestions on specs. Stock shocks are generally a POS. Blistiens or Koni all around.

Replace sway bars and bushings. The larger size make a dramatic difference in handling.

SteerSafe or similar.

Rear trac bar if you are getting the tail wagging the dog.

A few grand and it will handel like a sports car.

If you are half good with a wrench you can DIY but shocks might be a tough task.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

PDF file in this thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-20614.html
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

Take it in and get the alignment done!
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

Thanks Everyone,

Coach has less than 3000 miles just took delivery in September. but I have no idea if the guy who drove it from mfg to California hit a curb or ran over a big rock. I checked for any evidence but found none. Still I think air pressure adjusment and alingment are a first. thanks for the comment about the water. the dealership filled the tank and I planned to but did not drain the tank prior to my trip. I am going to make adjustments and take it to Newport Dunes next weekend. I am hoping for a better drive.

thanks,

Campingtom
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Get it aligned by a good shop who understands Ford Twin I bean from ends. Ford specs have a lot of tolerance to them but using the specs from the earlier posting reference will get you a good feel. Before you take it in for alignment, be sure to set the rear ride height (with air bag pressures) where you will be running when loaded and taking trips. Also make sure it is level side to side. Air bag pressures side to side may need to be different to accomplish this. Raising or lowering the rear can impact the alignment settings.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

I have 2700 miles on my Sunseeker 3010. Drives almost like a car. Make sure you have about 60 - 70 lbs in your air bags. Makes a huge difference. Be anal about the tire pressures. I use 80 in the rears and 75 in the front like the door says.

I have no problem and I'm not taking it in for an alignment anytime soon. Really I'm amazed that this rig is so comfortable to drive.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #9

Thank you all for such great advice. I just got back from a long week end trip to Newport Dunes, in So Cal, about 180 mi round trip and mostly all freeway. Before leaving I checked all of the air pressure in the tires. the fronts were at 52 and 68 and the rears were all four at a different PSI between 40 and 65. I put 75 in the fronts and 80 in the rear brought the air bags up to 70 and took most of the water out of the tank. The ride improved dramatically. It was similar in control and feel of driving my F-150. Next trip Yosemite over Thanksgiving with the rig running right I can't wait.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingtom
Thank you all for such great advice. I just got back from a long week end trip to Newport Dunes, in So Cal, about 180 mi round trip and mostly all freeway. Before leaving I checked all of the air pressure in the tires. the fronts were at 52 and 68 and the rears were all four at a different PSI between 40 and 65. I put 75 in the fronts and 80 in the rear brought the air bags up to 70 and took most of the water out of the tank. The ride improved dramatically. It was similar in control and feel of driving my F-150. Next trip Yosemite over Thanksgiving with the rig running right I can't wait.
Great! I
Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #11

Now that your air pressures are right you probably don't need to be concerned about filling you fresh water tank. I always fill mine from home and it doesn't affect handling in any way. You already have air bags so personally your next best purchase would be a true center steering stabilizer from Blue Ox. It's the best investment I have made for driving in strong winds.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper
Now that your air pressures are right you probably don't need to be concerned about filling you fresh water tank. I always fill mine from home and it doesn't affect handling in any way. You already have air bags so personally your next best purchase would be a true center steering stabilizer from Blue Ox. It's the best investment I have made for driving in strong winds.
My 2012 has a steering stabilizer from the factory. Is the Blue Ox a direct replacement? What year is your camper?