Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

New rear view camera

Installed a new rear view camera which displays on an iPad Pro. Much easier and more natural to view since it’s in the normal rear view mirror position. The camera is a Sharx WiFi setup with a display resolution of 1920p. You can see the difference (2nd pix) between a 1920 display on the iPad and the 420p of stock system. I’m going to change the stock camera angle to view the trailer hitch while hooking up.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

That is a nice setup. I do have a question, where did you pull the 12V from to power the iPad and the travel camera?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Nice

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
That is a nice setup. I do have a question, where did you pull the 12V from to power the iPad and the travel camera?
For the dash cam, I wedged the power cord above the headliner then down behind the right A-Pillar. It’s then tapped into one of the 12 volt outlets on the lower dash.

For the iPad, I ran the cord up to the overhead bunk and across to the 12 volt receptacle used for the TV. Use a plug splitter but be sure it has 2.5 or greater amp output...a one amp is not sufficient to power the iPad.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Sock...estek+splitter

I also use one of those on the other side of the MH to plug into the 12v receptacle to power the inverter for the AppleTV and the Netgear Wi-Fi router for the camera system.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Forgot to mention. The Sharx doubles as a dashcam and records 6 hours at 1900p and a lot more at lower resolutions.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #6

Clean setup. I am going to give my camera power a try. Did you need to lengthen the power lines? Thank you
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Clean setup. I am going to give my camera power a try. Did you need to lengthen the power lines? Thank you
Yes. I hooked up a six foot USB extension cable from the splitter to a standard Apple cable. I have a “topper” over the factory mattress so he cable runs between the topper and mattress. Very neat and clean setup.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Don't know about the camera set up, but I sure like your barn!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Back-up Camera

When I purchased my 2015 5er I was told it was set up for a back-up camera. Right away I thought, why would they bother to set up for the camera but not include it in the price of the unit. But it's just another thing they can get you to buy after you make your original purchase.

When I back up, I get out and look at my spot. Do I have enough clearance over head and on the sides to open the slides after I'm backed in.

Then my co-pilot takes over as I steer. She stands where I can see her, you know the rule, "If you can't see me I can't see you." And yes, there have been times when I have towed without my co-pilot and have backed into spots using just the mirrors.

I just don't see a need for a Back-up camera. I would much rather have two high intensity flood lights that I could turn on when backing into a space after dark.
Big Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
When I purchased my 2015 5er I was told it was set up for a back-up camera. Right away I thought, why would they bother to set up for the camera but not include it in the price of the unit. But it's just another thing they can get you to buy after you make your original purchase.

When I back up, I get out and look at my spot. Do I have enough clearance over head and on the sides to open the slides after I'm backed in.

Then my co-pilot takes over as I steer. She stands where I can see her, you know the rule, "If you can't see me I can't see you." And yes, there have been times when I have towed without my co-pilot and have backed into spots using just the mirrors.

I just don't see a need for a Back-up camera. I would much rather have two high intensity flood lights that I could turn on when backing into a space after dark.
Due to the really wide angles of most RV cameras I don’t think many, if any, use them as backup cameras. I never have.

The system I just put in is the same as all my previous rigs. It is an observation cam used while driving. It will show stuff which is too close to see in the side mirrors.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

I'm using a Garmin bu camera with my GPS. I wired the camera to the backup light circuit on my fiver. This way the camera only comes on when I'm backing.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Due to the really wide angles of most RV cameras I don’t think many, if any, use them as backup cameras. I never have.

The system I just put in is the same as all my previous rigs. It is an observation cam used while driving. It will show stuff which is too close to see in the side mirrors.
Going to raise my hand on this one. We use cameras with 170 degree viewing angle. I am one of those people that swears by using those cameras when backing up. The mirrors are only quasi useful when the TV is at an angle and there is just no other way to see what is immediately behind the rig. With the MH, the camera could give a visual of 6 ft. from the rear bumper. There is not a mirror made that can do that. And, being able to see the spotter at all times is invaluable.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I'm using a Garmin bu camera with my GPS. I wired the camera to the backup light circuit on my fiver. This way the camera only comes on when I'm backing.

I added one of these as a second camera, I installed it down by the license plate for hooking up my boat.
It works fantastic [emoji106]
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

That is a great setup. Once I get that far in getting all my stuff set up for the new truck, a backup camera will come. I want to tie it in to my screen on the truck though. I've seen another setup that looked great. I just need to find the right camera that will be compatible with my new F-250.

Can you post a link to the camera you got?
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
That is a great setup. Once I get that far in getting all my stuff set up for the new truck, a backup camera will come. I want to tie it in to my screen on the truck though. I've seen another setup that looked great. I just need to find the right camera that will be compatible with my new F-250.

Can you post a link to the camera you got?
I don’t know about how a factory radio can be set up to display external video. My system is sorta a hybrid setup for an RV. The camera is actually an outdoor security cam. I got it from Sharx Security, about $250 four years ago. They dropped that line last year and now only have similar units running from $400 to $800. Apparently the Sharx SC line is now marketed by TriVision and has dropped the price via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TriVision-Sec...ecurity+camera

The camera has to be connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet to a router. I use a Netgear AC2600 model which also doubles as a Wi-Fi hotspot when connected to a Unite Explore (AT&T). It’s a bit of work to get the system configured (ie reserved ip addresses, etc) but once done it works forever. I’m sure I could have used the router Forester installs for the LCI OneControl but due to lack of documentation for the hardware I left it alone.

The iPad connects to the Netgear and uses an app (MobiLincCam) to display the camera output. I have about $500 in the system, not including the iPad. A little pricey compared to setups from Tadi, Furion, etc., but the display quality is way, way better than those products.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #16

emm-dee, what is your IPAD mount. I need/want exactly what you are using. Thanks rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
emm-dee, what is your IPAD mount. I need/want exactly what you are using. Thanks rch
The parts needed are all available on Amazon. They are Ram branded and built very well. I've been using Ram products for many years...mostly on motorcycles...and they have never failed.

You actually need four separate items...the suction mount, the adjusting arm, a ball adapter and the big pad that encloses the iPad. The suction mount is unbelievably strong and should never let go until you release it.

You can get the parts individually but Amazon now has a "kit" including the first three items (Ram Mount RAM-B-166U).

The iPad mount I use is RAM EZ-Roll'r. Check the size of your iPad before ordering the cradle. That model number fits my iPad Pro 9.7 inch.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #18

Thanks emm-dee.
v/r. Rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #19

I have a 3051s 2017 built 2016 with a monitor where you added yours. What I want to do is have the radio display the camera also. It is a Jensen and has video in the set up. Did you run it together or separately? Thanks
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
I have a 3051s 2017 built 2016 with a monitor where you added yours. What I want to do is have the radio display the camera also. It is a Jensen and has video in the set up. Did you run it together or separately? Thanks
The new camera setup is completely separate from the Forester installed radio display. IDK about the '17 models..did it come with the rear camera installed? When you say "monitor where you added yours" are you referring to the dashboard display or the iPad display. I am moving the factory camera down to view the trailer hitch and will only be using it for hooking up. The iPad is the primary in motion display now.

Tags
forester