Old 05-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

Newbie with a stuck slide - help ASAP!

Hoping someone can help me with a quick answer since our new Forester MBS has a wall slide stuck in "out" while checking it out in the storage lot! After reading this forum, I think I must have gotten motors out of sync since did not know to hold 5-10 sec and did start and stop a bit. Anything we can do to retract it? Yes, we've had it all of 3 days and are getting to experience our first technical adventure ... other than this, we LOVE this rig and can't wait to go camping!

Thanks for all advice! /Kelly

Old 05-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #2

See if you have an optional hand crank means of cranking the slide back and out. If so, use it to pull slide back in and sometimes that is all you need to get things "back on track".

If you don't, have DW or girlfriend hold switch for slide operation in and you simultaneously lift and push the slide back in. I've done that before and that also helped reset things.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

Question: what's the power source you're using? Trailer battery, Tow Vehicle, or Shore power? If you're trying to retract your slide on the trailer battery it could be that it has a low charge. If that's the case try hooking to Tow Vehicle. (assuming you've checked the breaker panel )Otherwise on some trailers there is an inline fuse somewhere in the power line from the battery - Just a small plastic fuse holder with a cap on it. If you have to use your manual crank be sure to unhook the battery first - that's supposed to make it easier to turn but honestly I haven't tried it myself.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

First make sure not running coach or key in on position, battery center will cut slide power. Next look to see if binding seal at tracks or rollers. If power when press retract switch but weak then start generator for more power. If no obvious power the check breakers under step and in battery control center and look for reset buttons. The controller has a manual retract button but need to find it on your rig and look up the lippert procedure online. If you need to manually push in then temporarily unplug controller to release motor brake. Good luck
Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

Ah, didn't realize we had a motorhome. My mistake.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the options! My Class C is plugged into shore power but I'm wondering if it is trying to pull from batteries instead. I did try the push lift thing for a little bit but didn't do a thing. It sounds like it's not even trying to activate the mechanism ... Just a little click when MB inside is pushing the button. Not aware of any manual cranking system ... Will check out my manuals again.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks so much guys. Rich.M - that is exactly what we did - one of us was running engine while the other was trying to retract - duh! We will try your advice and see if we can figure it out. Also have a call into FR tech. Keep the advice coming.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Bummer. Tried most of above, but battery control center looks way too confusing for me to tinker with at this stage of my evolution as an RVer! Nothing that looks anything like a reset button or switch on either. Will have to leave it out I guess in the storage facility, and have yet another convo with our dealer tomorrow.

Thanks SO much to you all for being there on a holiday! We are so looking forward to this next journey (hopefully outside of the storage facility at some pint ...).
Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Here is a link to help. It takes some reading to understand but with this I think you can fix your slide.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...-schwintek.pdf
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

Ok, so here's the diagnosis: controller for slide failed and has to be replaced. Had to get a mechanic out to storage site who then had to talk through troubleshooting with FR tech to reach that conclusion. FR sending new controller unit to Camping World where we bought it less than 1 week ago ... 😕. Hoping CW sends their tech out to repair instead of towing. And hoping this all happens within the week. I have decided to consider this just part of our new RVing adventure and be positive! Thanks for all your advice on this forum!

Tags
newbie, slide