Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

No more Chevy

Saw this talked about somewhere. Couldn't find it on search. Evidently Chevy is going to be making less cutaway chassis. Forester still has it as an option on there website. RVW does not have the chevy option for the Forester 2501ts today
Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

GM stopped production of the chassis cab to focus more on another line that is being built at the same plant. They may list it as an option, but don't think you can order one, at least not at this time. Production will most likely resume when demand for the other vehicles slow.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I guess it's more accurate to say that they "suspended" production.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Thought I saw that they dramatically reduced production, but not suspended. Doesn't matter, if I can't get one
tinasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

You would be ordering for less horsepower, torque and towing capacity…than its Ford counterpart.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

less torque and towing capacity for sure, but more than the MBS rigs. I have no experience with either the ford or chevy chassis. From reading it seems there are some issues with the ford chassis front end, as well as less room in the cockpit. I would be content with either motor, but the chevy 4500 chassis appears to have better reviews. I would never need the fords towing capacity. I guess its pretty much a crap shoot any way you do it. Just realized the MBS was too restrictive with payload and towing capacity. Found the forester 2501ts to be similar size and better floor plan. Lot more inside storage and about the same outside storage as the MBS I was looking at. They both suck, but the 2501ts will pull a small enclosed car trailer, which can carry dingy and make up for poor outside storage. Kayaks, smoker, lawn chairs etc. fold bote with small outboard. Do that with a sprinter
Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasdude View Post
less torque and towing capacity for sure, but more than the MBS rigs. I have no experience with either the ford or chevy chassis. From reading it seems there are some issues with the ford chassis front end, as well as less room in the cockpit. I would be content with either motor, but the chevy 4500 chassis appears to have better reviews. I would never need the fords towing capacity. I guess its pretty much a crap shoot any way you do it. Just realized the MBS was too restrictive with payload and towing capacity. Found the forester 2501ts to be similar size and better floor plan. Lot more inside storage and about the same outside storage as the MBS I was looking at. They both suck, but the 2501ts will pull a small enclosed car trailer, which can carry dingy and make up for poor outside storage. Kayaks, smoker, lawn chairs etc. fold bote with small outboard. Do that with a sprinter
Purely looking at the engine and transmission specs, Fords RV chassis are superior. There is a reason that Forest River and others do not post the towing capacity of the Chevy. Granted, you will never need to tow anything. If the RV manufacture is doing their job, they install sway bars as needed, to match the requirements of what they are building on top of the chassis.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

I definitely like the ride, seating comfort and visibility of our Chevy over the Ford. I also like 10.5 mpg when I'm in a hurry, and 12.5 mpg when I'm not in a hurry.

The Ford is a strong motor, but the Chevy has more than enough power for my needs (for now at least LOL).
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #9

No issues with the ford powertrain. It is good. Reports of poor ride performance make me lean to the Chevy chassis and the Chevy motor will be adequate for my needs. And a little better fuel mileage never hurts anything. Fuel mileage isn't that big a deal. DocsDad summed it up pretty well above
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Class C Representative

Right now the only choices we have are Ford and Mercedes. That's industry wide not just us. There are still some Chevy's out in the field but once those are gone they're gone and may not be replaced.

When I read about the poor ride quality of a ford (Other than the leg space for the passenger) it normally follows up with " We were weighted down in the rear" which in turn "Lifts" the front end up off the ground. This is why we implemented the Firestone air bags, if you are weighted in the rear then you can pump those air bags up to level out the coach and put the weight back towards the front for better ride quality.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Thought I read somewhere in the forums that that Chevy is still making the chassis, but at a ridiculously reduced rate. Ford. heat, noise, less room, new suspension parts. Professional alignment for castor changes. Not foresters fault. Aggravating to think spend 80000 on a new unit and it has issues with a sub par chassis. Thanks to another poster I read some good things about weight and the importance of knowing your axle weights as related to proper tire pressures. I would have been clueless about that and I am sure many other things
Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #12

I am on a slow learning curve. Do the Firestone bags do what the Sumos do, or is that totally different?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

My question would be why is FR using any of the chassis if there are issues straight from the manufacture. Something to thik about? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

I guess the chassis is functional, but many immediately get different shocks and have castor changed. That still doesn't take care of the less room, more noise and heat issues.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #15

If there are no new motor homes on the Chevy chassis I will be forced to buy used.
There are many reports on this and other forums that people with the Fords are spending thousands of dollars in after market stabilizers, shocks and whatever just so they are comfortable driving them.
Would this not be a warranty issue if I purchase new with a Ford chassis that has steering wheel play or wandering that I read about?
I know this is not all fords but I just don't hear about these issues with the Chevys. I've owned a few Ford products over the years and they have always served me well but I can't, at this time, buy one with a motor home.
swuebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #16

I have been reading the same kind of stuff. You would think, at some point, Ford would address these issues
Old 09-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #17
Class C Representative

Sum does anything from air bags to lift kits but From the looks of the sumo air bags and Firestone air bags they have similar features.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #18

Couldn't or shouldn't Ford build the chassis with appropriate castor and shocks that are required by motor homes?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #19

Just received a reply from RVW. It will be after 1st of the year (if at all) when the Chevy returns
Old 09-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #20

Just bought a 2016 2251 Chevy.
I knew they were running out thanks to the candidness of the mods here.
Didn't get the front cap but oh well.
Price was great. Glad I got one of the last ones for now.
Don't really like the Ford and the Mercedes gave me too many heeby geebies with
the added bonus of 30k more.
Buys a lot of gas and I now have WAY more capacity to tow and haul what I want.
Drives great also- nice and tight.
Pick it up tomorrow.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote