Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

No more Jackknife sofa !!

Shopped this morning for a reclining loveseat to replace that awful jackknife sofa. Needing one with a removable back thought it would take a while to find one. Found the perfect one at the first place we visited. 1/2 price ! Came home and took out the old one. Was a breeze. A few modifications had to be made for the new one to fit on the slide but it looks awesome can't wait for our trip next weekend to try it out.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

Where did you find one?
Do you have pictures of how it looks in the place of sofa?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

If you can - please post a picture and more information on the sofa.
AprilFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #4

]I've not had much luck posting pictures on here but I'll try again. The sofa is made by Lifestyle bought it at Cleo's here in Ar. It weighs only 135 lbs which is important since it's in the slide. It hangs over about 3 inches in the front so to stabilize it DH took 4....1/4 inch steel flat bars 10inches long made screw holes in each end. Mounted the bars to the slide floor then to the front bar of the loveseat that runs across the front. I've seen others on the forum that extended the floor out for the extra space needed. DH wanted to try this first. I then made a little skirt to cover the bars and the exposed front of slide. We think it turned out great and is very comfortable. ,DH also took the drink holder that was behind the jackknife, cut it down and mounted it to outside of the dinette wall. Now have a shelf and drink holders on that side of the loveseat. The other piece we hung on the other side.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

Our Loveseat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409506706992.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	61870  
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the picture! It is perfect - the picture and the sofa. Obviously we have a different floor plan but that is just what I want. I was thinking something with storage/cups holders in the middle but you have solved some of that issue.
AprilFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #7

I like the ones with the console in the middle too but they were just too wide to fit.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

Thank you for posting picture of your "love seat"! Love it!
Our floor plan is also different than yours. Our Jack knife is on the curbside at the entry door. The dinette and fridge are on the street-side slide out.
Looks like it would work if we removed the dinette, but would hate to loose the storage drawer space.
We have electrical appliances stored in the drawers. We would have to rethink an area for those items.
I would like to remove the Jack knife sofa and put Euro chair in its place.

I am wondering if the love seat sofa would be too heavy for the slide out, since it is the same slide out as our fridge is on?

Day Dreaming!

CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

What is a jackknife sofa?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #10

It's the little sofa that comes with most units . Folds down to make into a bed. Very uncomfortable to sat on or sleep on.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Eve View Post
It's the little sofa that comes with most units . Folds down to make into a bed. Very uncomfortable to sat on or sleep on.
Yep, think of it as a real cheap Futon.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #12

Usually you lift up the front of the seat and the back drops back flat...leaves about six inches hanging across the front of the seat section with no support under it - very uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Doiron View Post
Thank you for posting picture of your "love seat"! Love it!
Our floor plan is also different than yours. Our Jack knife is on the curbside at the entry door. The dinette and fridge are on the street-side slide out.
Looks like it would work if we removed the dinette, but would hate to loose the storage drawer space.
We have electrical appliances stored in the drawers. We would have to rethink an area for those items.
I would like to remove the Jack knife sofa and put Euro chair in its place.

I am wondering if the love seat sofa would be too heavy for the slide out, since it is the same slide out as our fridge is on?

Day Dreaming!

My unit has a refer, stove and sofa bed on it, seems to handle it okay weight wise. Those slides can hold a lot of weight, I almost didn't buy it because I thought it would give me problems, but so far so good after 3 years.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #14

We have a 2013 3171ds and are doing some RENOS to our needs ,so out went the jackknife sofa and dinette. Replaced it with a electric recliner loveseat and are buying a small dinette . We put the sofa on the slide and it was too high our feet wouldn't touch the floor . We decided to put the recliner on the other side behind the passenger seat and we extended the floor on the slide , that worked out nicely .We also took out all the flooring and the rug from the dinette area and replaced it ourselves with allure vinyl plank flooring . Its so much warmer looking and easier to clean . We also took out the bunk beds and are going to do the same flooring in the upper area and extend the slide out in the spring ...... ran out of warm weather . We are not too sure what we want to use the bunk area for . Might build some shelves and a table for crafting , for now its storage area .have the whole winter to decide . We are planning to live in our beautiful class c in a few years so we are getting it ready

Penny is offline   Reply With Quote