Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

No OTA reception on bedroom TV

It used to work fine, now when scanning it says check antenna cable and rescan. Checked and everything is hooked up. Booster is turned on. Living room area TV is fine. Don’t know where else to check connections. Coxial hookup seems to disappear into the ceiling so where do I look now?
Gaga1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga1951 View Post
Coxial hookup seems to disappear into the ceiling so where do I look now?
Guess that is a good place to start...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

By any chance an out door or compartment tv location? Could be a bad/disconnected splitter.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #4

I have found broken center wire at the connection. If so, needs to be re-spliced.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Site Team

I have the exact same problem. I'm guessing it's a bad/disconnected splitter hidden in the ceiling somewhere. I just haven't gotten around to actually finding it.

I know they make endoscope cameras that can hook up to a cell phone that aren't too expensive. I'm thinking I might need to get one of those and trace the coax in the ceiling.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
D W

Also, check the coax connector on the back side of the bedroom wall plate to make sure the crimp is intact and the connection is tight.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
It used to work fine, now when scanning it says check antenna cable and rescan. Checked and everything is hooked up. Booster is turned on. Living room area TV is fine. Don’t know where else to check connections. Coxial hookup seems to disappear into the ceiling so where do I look now?
I went through a similar scenario. To troubleshoot, I removed all 4 coaxial wall plates, i.e., living room (2), bedroom, and outside. I then removed and closely inspected each coax cable to ensure the compression fittings were installed correctly and that the center conductor (wire) was intact and long enough. I was surprised at how loose ALL the connectors were. I re-tightened them all and snugged them using a pair of pliers. I did find what appeared to be a piece of the ground shield inside of the bedroom cable connector that could’ve been attenuating my reception in the bedroom.

I found a 3-way splitter behind the wall in the living room connected to SET 2 of the amplifier wall plate output, while the splitter outputs went to the living room television directly, the bedroom television wall plate and the outside television port.

In addition, I have a home run for a satellite connection outside to a separate coax connector in the living room AND a home run from the living room to the bedroom for connecting the the satellite receiver output to send it back to the bedroom.

I took the time to document my coax wiring on a drawing for my specific camper.

Hope this helps to get the troubleshooting wheels turning.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
I had a booster go bad in my TT after 2 years. The booster would work fine once I took it out of the wall, when I put it back in I would loose the signal.
See this thread for what I did to fix the problem. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-182056-3.html
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

Determine which coax on the back of your amplifier is for the bedroom TV. Connect a video source directly to that coax such as a DVD. If the TV works, there is nothing wrong with the coax (and any connections / splitters) going to the TV. If the LR TV works From the antenna, the problem is likely in the selector box / amplifier.

Process of elimination works in most instances
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, forester, reception, roo