Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

No power on electric

We have had several power outages since last night. Now we have power to the box but not to the coach. Turned the generator on we have power but none from the power box. Can anyone tell us what to look for? All breakers have been checked.
Thank you for your help.
Ron & Vicki Flowers
Copikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

The first thing I think I would check is both ends of my shore power cord for continuity and then check your surge protector.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

I forgot to add it may be your auto transfer switch that got fried due to the power losses. I'm just thinking out loud based on your description.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copikat View Post
We have had several power outages since last night. Now we have power to the box but not to the coach. Turned the generator on we have power but none from the power box. Can anyone tell us what to look for? All breakers have been checked.
Thank you for your help.
Ron & Vicki Flowers
When trouble shooting 110 volt problems use the following procedure

do you have a voltage tester? and do you know where your transfer switch is located?
Start at the power source. In other words the rv park power pole
Check the power there.
check the power at the end of your cord prior to hooking to RV. If good
Check power going into transfer switch. if good
Check power going out of transfer switch. if good
Check incoming power at Power distribution center
(most likely above fridge) if good
check the power at one of the 110 volt breakers

Your problem has to be located at one of those points because that is how the RV is wired
Once you figure out where the problem is, I can try and come up with a temporary solution to your dilemma.

Since you have power via the generator, the problem is either within the transfer switch or between the transfer switch and the shore power pole.

If you don't have a voltage tester see if you can borrow one or go to the local Harbor freight, Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware store and get one.

a basic multi-meter should be standard equipment in everyones RV tool bag.
If you keep your eye out for the Harbor Freight adds and coupons, they have a coupon for a free one on a regular basis. they work just fine.

Another good tester is your basic neon light 12 volt auto tester. wire hooks to ground, probe touches hot wire and if you have 12 volt power the neon light works.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

We have power at the post, power at surge protector, power at the cord where it plugs in to coach, power out of the breaker box under the frig. Don't know where the transfer switch is. We have a green neon light under the frig also.

Ron Flowers, the coach is a 2016, model 3051s
Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Can anyone tell me where the transfer switch is located on a 2016 3051s?
Thanks,
Ron Flowers
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

Progressive transfer switch - owner needs assistance

The OP is having problems with getting 120 volt shore power. I wrote them a trouble shooting guide. I am not familiar with the workings of the Progressive 5100 series transfer switch but they most likely have it in their unit. please lend a hand if possible.

ANNT Copicat

I have a MBS 2400W. This is the transfer switch in my unit. you will most likely have the same transfer switch. You will most likely find the transfer switch located near or above the generator. Look inside the garage compartments near the generator. you should find a box out area in one of them with 4 screws holding a compartment panel in place. the transfer switch should be behind that panel.

PD5110010 120 VAC 30-Amp Automatic Transfer Switch

There are operator and trouble shooting manuals on the progressive site.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Can not find the transfer switch its not in with the generator nor the next bay? Now where to look have looked in all the bay's .
Old 07-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Can not find the transfer switch its not in with the generator nor the next bay? Now where to look have looked in all the bay's .
is the generator located underneath your bed?

Is there a long storage compartment located above the generator?

Does that compartment have a jog in it so it is not rectangular?

the transfer switch is in that jogged out area. look for the screws that hold the paneling in place.

it is going to be hidden behind an access panel somewhere. I hate to say this but your going to have to get on your back and crawl under the motorhome. you will a piece of grey "sealtite" flexible tubing coming off the generator and it will go up through the floor. The transfer switch will be in that area somewhere. It will be either on top of the generator itself or somewhere between the generator and the shore power connection on the RV..

I have a MBS 2400WS and on the drivers side near the rear of the coach is a storage compartment. Inside that storage compartment is a boxed out area located above the generator. there are four screws in the wood paneling two at one and the other two in a piece of corner molding. My transfer switch is located behind that cover. you should find something similar either inside your cabin or inside one of your storage compartments. It is a black box measuring about 8 x 8 x 4.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #10

My generator is in the front of the coach under the drivers seat of the class c motorhome. Can not find a black box only junction boxes.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
My generator is in the front of the coach under the drivers seat of the class c motorhome. Can not find a black box only junction boxes.
Sorry that I can't be of more assistance. Knowing how cheap they go when they build these things, the wiring from the generator and the shore power connection to the transfer switch won't be any longer than absolutely necessary.
It will also be located in a water resistant enclosure and if you have a 120 volt 30 amp service like the brochure says, the transfer switch will have orange romex running from the shore power outlet and the power distribution panel to the transfer switch. I would wager that the flexible liquid tight conduit running from the generator isn't any longer than absolutely necessary because if its and its fittings cost.

What you need to do is open the access panel underneath the power distribution panel and see if there is an orange romex. if so see if you can determine which direction it goes and continue to follow it, eventually it will lead you to the transfer switch. If isn't orange figure out what color it is and follow that romex.

If you prefer you can start at the shore power connection and work your way towards the transfer switch from there.

FYI, I spent almost three hours this morning attempting to trace what I thought was the "C" channel speaker wiring. At the back of the Jensen JMW6A the "C" channel left speaker output was connected to a green/white lamp style cord. Others had told me that the "C" channel was connected to a sub woofer that was located under the clothes closet so I started looking there. Well I never did find the subwoofer nor the the green/white channel "C" wire.

What I did find was a green/white wire under the close closet, but it ran from the driver side outside light to the 12 volt power panel via the bed box out, the transfer switch compartment, a floor joist cavity, under the bathroom sink, up the wall alongside the fridge, and finally connected to the power panel wiring.

The orange #10 romex from the shore power outlet to the transfer switch ran into the cabin then exited the bottom of it, ran though liquid tight flexible conduit along the frame and then up into the transfer switch compartment where it exited the conduit and then the romex entered the transfer switch enclosure.
The orange #10 romex from the power distribution center ran over the fridge,down the wall alongside the fridge, under the bathroom sink where it entered the floor joist cavity, it exited the floor joist cavity in the transfer switch compartment and finally entered the transfer switch enclosure.

I still have no idea where that damn speaker wire goes and will not waste my time looking for it until I figure out how to remove the ceiling speaker covers without damaging them nor the soft ceiling.

I guess if you want to own a motorhome and don't have money to burn, you need to get your hands dirty and figure out where things are. The way these things are built. I am quite sure that mechanic at the RV service center has to do exactly what I did the first time they work on a new model.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
I have the 2861 and the transfer switch is under the bed. Lift up the plywood panel the mattress is on and look on one of the sides to see if it might be there.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Thank you so much for the help you have given we had a Alfa Seeya Gold before this one and yes they hide every thing, this one that we have now has so much grey foam sprayed every where that you can't tell what your looking at. We have a Mobil RV Tech coming tomorrow we have looked every where for this darn thing, maybe he can find it.

Thanks again for all your help
Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #14

We have looked under the ply wood under the bed not there eighter just out side shower hoses and grey junction boxes (2) .
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #15

The 3051 generator is under the dinette. Check under the benches of the dinette. Also, in my 3051 there is an electrical junction box in one of the side compartments near the generator. It's way in the back so you might not have noticed it. Also, I have no idea if this has the transfer switch in it or if it's just a simple junction box.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

Thanks we will check under the bench seats.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #17

Looked under the bench seats not there!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #18

Well, we found it finally. Surprised to find it in a water compartment, where the water filter is. But that wasn't what was wrong the 30 amp plug In the wall of the motor home was never tighten the screws were very loose causing the electric to arc and finally Burt the ground it could have caught fire we we're lucky. My advice to all of you check yours.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Well, we found it finally. Surprised to find it in a water compartment, where the water filter is. But that wasn't what was wrong the 30 amp plug In the wall of the motor home was never tighten the screws were very loose causing the electric to arc and finally Burt the ground it could have caught fire we we're lucky. My advice to all of you check yours.
Thank you so much for posting the solution to your problem! This technical detail may help others with similar situations plus you give honor to the time others spent trying to help.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, power