Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

No power to Satellite Antenna question

Recently my Winegard 3500a auto sat antenna has stopped working. It appears to be a power issue; the lighted single pole switch that turns it on/off does not light. I pulled the switch and tested it for continuity - works fine. I then replaced the switch to be sure (only $4) and the new one also failed to light.

Rather than go off half cocked, and to make sure I am not overlooking something easy, I was wondering if there is a list of protocols for checking power to the unit. I assume my next few steps are checking for blown fuses (just the box under the rear bed?), checking connections (to the antenna, Dishnetwork box, tv), ect.?

Any suggestions would be apreciated.
Thanks,
Tim
tmulreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

i have the winguard carry out. power is supplied by a cigarette ligher connection. sense i ran mine streight off the bat w/cord, i put an inline fuse there. there may also be one in the end of the cigarette lighter plug. if it unscrews, u will probably find one behind the center contact. believe it is 5 amp.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Thanks Jim. My unit is hard wired, so I'll have to start opening panels.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #4

when u said u had a switch, i was afraid of that.
hope is isn't difficult to find.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #5

another thought, if the switch is easy to remove, check the voltage between the contacts and ground and see if u have voltage. could tell if the problem is before or after the switch.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

The switch checks out OK.
I pulled the roof dome and checked the fuse in the electronics with a meter - OK.
I checked the fuses under the hood - OK.
I checked the fuses in the back of the RV - OK.

Switch still won't light, and no power to roof unit.

Maybe a disconnected wire? Or a bad unit? Not sure how I can check if the unit is no good.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

i was talking abt checking and see if u have voltage to the switch. if u don't it has to be between the battery and there. i would put a voltmeter prob between each of the switch contacts and a ground.

like trouble shooting an electronic circuit. keep dividing the distance until u narrow down the area of the problem.

Tags
antenna