Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
DaLexusGuy

Talking OneControl LCI Panel Icons Disappear - SOLVED!

Hey all,

I recently had some issues with my OneControl Display panels being inconsistent, with icons for various functions showing on one display at the entry door but not showing on the second display in the bedroom, and whatever icons showed up on the main display panel matched the icons that showed up on my phone when I tried to use the OneControl app.

Now being a "techie" kind-of-guy, this issue is definitely one that interested me, especially given we only have 5000 miles on the motorhome. Unfortunately, my DW ( who is an "analog" girl) stands behind me the whole time during the diagnosis going on and on about how she hates the panels and wants switches instead, etc., etc...

Anyway, after trying to reboot the display panels with no change, a lot of scratching my head, and my dealer only shrugging their shoulders, I found the OneControl technical support techline number on an LCI YouTube video.

I called the OneControl tech guys and I explained my situation. The following is what I recall being told, and what solved my issue within 10 minutes (no tools needed).

1) If rebooting the panel once doesn't resolve the issue, it's not the panel.

2) There is a 2' x 2' plywood board somewhere in the unit (on my 2801QS, it was behind a removable panel under the fridge).

3) Mounted to that board, there are several modules that communicate with each other to operate the various systems represented by the display panel icons.

NOTE: My board was wired with extra long wiring; I was able to lift it up and out of it's cubby and set it in my lap without having to disconnect any wires.

4) Each module has a bunch of different wires but specifically, you are looking for two small 2-pin connectors. each with a red wire and a black wire.

5) One of the two connectors has larger (thicker) red and black wires that provide power and ground to the module and the other connector has smaller (thinner) red and black wires (communication wires).

6) I was told that this issue is generally related to poor communication between modules, it was suggested I focus on the connectors for the thinner black and red wire (communication) lines.

7) Make note of the location of the communication line connectors (with the thinner red and black wires). There is a small clip that you squeeze to release the connector from the board on the module.

8) Turn the coach power off and pick any one of the many modules. Disconnect the communication wire connector (the one with the thinner red and black wires) and snap it back on. Repeat this step for each of the various modules on the board.

9) Turn the coach power back on and reboot the display panel.

Once I did all that (the process really took very little time) all the appropriate icons popped up on both display panels and on my phone app as well.

Yeah! Back in business! Of course, my wife still wants manual switches instead of a panel, but at least we can operate everything and all is well for now.

Hope this tutorial helps!

Happy Camping!!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

I agree with your wife! Although I'm also a techie, I am not impressed with the clunkiness of the app or the panels. I was at a RV show this past weekend and saw a couple other systems that worked much easier.

I agree that the tablet vs. the tank monitor/generator control/lighting/etc. individual controls is a much cleaner approach, but the Lippert OneTouch desperately needs some improvement.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #3

I’m not a big fan of this, either. My bedroom panel went dark 3 months after we got the rig. It has to be rebooted each time you want to use it. Been waiting for a replacement unit for the past 6 weeks. I like the concept for the plumbing systems, slide outs, etc, but also would prefer switches for lights. The rig is not so big that I can’t walk to a light switch. It takes longer to get power up,select the system, and then turn off the lights than it would to walk around the coach and turn them all on/off.
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Good information. Thanks for sharing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

Cut the red wire, no the black!!!! Or was it the red? I think I've seen this movie before. ��
Tom Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Langley View Post
Cut the red wire, no the black!!!! Or was it the red? I think I've seen this movie before. ��
Naw... it was an episode of “Hogan’s Heroes” LOL!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sounds like they are using can bus for communication between different parts of the system that has a working limit of 20 ft between panels or panels and control. I have see many time cutting out excess cable making runs shorter makes it much more reliable. I take delivery of a new Landmark that has this system for levelling jacks only in a couple week. I hope it works well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

OneControl issue still solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Hey all,

I recently had some issues with my OneControl Display panels being inconsistent, with icons for various functions showing on one display at the entry door but not showing on the second display in the bedroom, and whatever icons showed up on the main display panel matched the icons that showed up on my phone when I tried to use the OneControl app.

Now being a "techie" kind-of-guy, this issue is definitely one that interested me, especially given we only have 5000 miles on the motorhome. Unfortunately, my DW ( who is an "analog" girl) stands behind me the whole time during the diagnosis going on and on about how she hates the panels and wants switches instead, etc., etc...

Anyway, after trying to reboot the display panels with no change, a lot of scratching my head, and my dealer only shrugging their shoulders, I found the OneControl technical support techline number on an LCI YouTube video.

I called the OneControl tech guys and I explained my situation. The following is what I recall being told, and what solved my issue within 10 minutes (no tools needed).

1) If rebooting the panel once doesn't resolve the issue, it's not the panel.

2) There is a 2' x 2' plywood board somewhere in the unit (on my 2801QS, it was behind a removable panel under the fridge).

3) Mounted to that board, there are several modules that communicate with each other to operate the various systems represented by the display panel icons.

NOTE: My board was wired with extra long wiring; I was able to lift it up and out of it's cubby and set it in my lap without having to disconnect any wires.

4) Each module has a bunch of different wires but specifically, you are looking for two small 2-pin connectors. each with a red wire and a black wire.

5) One of the two connectors has larger (thicker) red and black wires that provide power and ground to the module and the other connector has smaller (thinner) red and black wires (communication wires).

6) I was told that this issue is generally related to poor communication between modules, it was suggested I focus on the connectors for the thinner black and red wire (communication) lines.

7) Make note of the location of the communication line connectors (with the thinner red and black wires). There is a small clip that you squeeze to release the connector from the board on the module.

8) Turn the coach power off and pick any one of the many modules. Disconnect the communication wire connector (the one with the thinner red and black wires) and snap it back on. Repeat this step for each of the various modules on the board.

9) Turn the coach power back on and reboot the display panel.

Once I did all that (the process really took very little time) all the appropriate icons popped up on both display panels and on my phone app as well.

Yeah! Back in business! Of course, my wife still wants manual switches instead of a panel, but at least we can operate everything and all is well for now.

Hope this tutorial helps!

Happy Camping!!
We just started having this issue this past month and hoping your post helps us. We’ll be trouble shooting it today. I’m hoping to ask you about the panel under the refrigerator. How did you remove it? I haven’t really investigated how tough it may be as yet, but it all looks pretty "non-removable". Your post really looks exactly like we thought the problem would look, but just didn’t know where to start to look for the board. Thanks for any help you may shed on this.

Jodi and Keith
2018 Forester 2801(QS) GTS
Old 05-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

I put switches inline to control the overhead lights. I can still use the OneControl but it’s a lot faster to just push the buttons. I’m going by my favorite electronics store up in Tennessee this weekend to try to get dimmer switches.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
DaLexusGuy

Response to Jodi and Keith (part2)

Hey all, after my last response, I re-read your question and realized I may not have answered the simplest part of it.

Anyway, on my 2801QS, there is a removable trim board about a foot down from the bottom edge of the fridge.

The board is about 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Mine is attached by a simple push-clip at each end (no screws at all). When I pushed and poked around on the board, it wiggled, so I knew it was not a permanent piece of trim. I just grabbed each end of the panel, pulled the panel toward me, and it popped right off, revealing the secret, computer cubby behind it).

I hope that helps!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #11

Lipert One Control access

On my 2801 the panel is screwed on with little wood caps over the screws. Thanks for advice on where to start looking.
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #12

OneControl icons disappeared

My icons for ( Forrester MBS 2401) slide, awning and leveling disappeared and was not able to reconnect. I tried e-break on, off, engine on, off, main power disconnect, reset display nothing worked. Checked the modules I was able to find (above the refrigerator are lighting, generator, tank monitors ) but could not find any loose connections. I finally jumpered the module (located in a storage compartment near rear wheel) and was able to pull the slide in. Anyone have any ideas as to other module locations?
Buffspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester