Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

OneControl - only shows Generator

Here we go again. Everything worked last week, when I put the RV away. 2018 3011DS just out of Warranty. Now we are packing up for a trip to the balloon festival in Albuquerque, leaving Thursday.
The OneControl only shows the Generator. Key out of ignition. No slides, lights, or monitor items. We can’t even load the closets, as the slide is not available.

How do I troubleshoot the “can” bus?
Psadave46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

Well, you can trying swearing at (that's what I usually do), but it probably won't help.

Have you tried turning off the 12 Volt power by using the battery disconnect switch? Leave it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on.

Does the system work with your cell phone or tablet with the OneControl app?

Or, you can give Lippert a call at 574-537-8900 during Indiana business hours to see if they have any suggestions.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Mine has lost apps a few time. I found that powering it off and on brought them all back each time. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Still working the issue

Thanks for the Lippert contact number! I need to call them this morning.
I found the terminators. One is behind the panel in kitchen (reseated) and the other is buried under bed. Terminator is 120 ohms (should read 60, as they are parallel. Discovered that black wire between bedroom panel and the dual motor module under bed is open (red wire is good). Wire goes through floor and into mass of foam under Coach with other wires. Need another “can bus” cable or maybe kludge existing wires. Don’t know connector style or name.
Calling Lippert now.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

Lippert Support and Forest River responded perfectly.

On the 3011ds, the OneControl modules are located below dresser drawers, right side. Lippert Support sent a 20’ can bus cable to my RV park (on the road).
Forest River sent me the connection diagrams for can bus. Life is Good!
Thanks to all involved.

Dave Allen
Old 10-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Glad it worked out. The CANBUS cables are not that special, they’re just 18awg wires that aren’t even shielded. The beauty is in the simplicity of this attangement. If you could locate the break, they can be reconnected with butt splices.

In the future, if caught in this position, you could just cut off the special connectors and splice in any cable you might have on hand as a quick fix.

Kudos to Lippert for helping you out!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Resident Curmudgeon

The OneControl setup is my biggest worry about my Forester. To me, the whole idea behind it is a serious violation of the KISS principle.
2017 FR3 30DS
2016 Flagstaff 8524rlws
2006 Trailmanor 2720QB & too many others!
Opelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #8

Is the Lippert OneControl installed on the 2018 Forester Bluetooth/wifi enabled? Will an IPAD or IPHONE app work with the controller as well?

I found an IPAD app but don't know if it will work with the 2018 Forester.

v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #9

OneControl can be either Bluetooth or WiFi. You can determine this by first making sure your coach is powered on. Use your iPad to scan for an available WiFi network. If you have the OneControl WiFi module you'll see a SSID called MyRv_XXXXXXXXXXXX. If you see that you'll need to look for a sticker inside a cabinet somewhere with the password.

Do the same for Bluetooth, looking for any unrecognized BT devices. I don't have a BT-enabled system so I cannot tell how OneControl identifies itself. If neither methods yield any results, you likely don't have a wireless capable system.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

I wasn't aware that One Control supported bluetooth. That would be waaaay better than the wifi on my 2017.

If you need help getting started with One Control, here's a link to Lippert's site with instructions on how to get connected for Android or Apple devices.

https://www.lci1.com/onecontrol
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
Is the Lippert OneControl installed on the 2018 Forester Bluetooth/wifi enabled? Will an IPAD or IPHONE app work with the controller as well?

I found an IPAD app but don't know if it will work with the 2018 Forester.

v/r rch
The OneControl app works on the iPhone and iPad. I don’t know if there’s an Android version.

Prior to starting the app you have to login to the Wi-Fi network created by the the system. When you search for Wi-Fi networks on your iOS device you’ll see one with a long name like MyRV_####x##########. To login you’ll need the password which can be found on a label probably on an inside wall of one of the cabinets.

When you start the app you’ll go through a one time setup. First screen is “Wi-Fi/Bluetooth choice. I’ve never been able to get Bluetooth to work. Select Wi-Fi and then enter your user selectable pin (twice). You’re done.

The actual Wi-Fi router and hardware for the system is usually behind one of the entertainment systems. Probably no need to access it unless it fails. I’m not sure if the wall display control panels and the iOS app are completely separate or not. I know the wall displays are not showing anything while the app is in use. Some have reported when the panel is malfunctioning or not showing all available functions the iOS system works just fine.

I would rather have old fashioned switches but have to live with the screens. If I had known how inconvenient the system is I would have bought a different brand RV.

I keep an older unused iPhone 5 in the console dedicated to the One Control app via Wi-Fi and the LevelMate app via Bluetooth.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Bluetooth is a option that is available from LCI, unfortunately FR does not install the hardware required for bluetooth.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #13

If I had known how inconvenient the system is I would have bought a different brand RV.

Amen!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #14

EMM-DEE, what's a level-mate app? (I don't take delivery till Saturday). Does it control the leveling jacks?

v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
EMM-DEE, what's a level-mate app? (I don't take delivery till Saturday). Does it control the leveling jacks?

v/r rch
The Level Mate is an aftermarket item to help with leveling. Works reasonably well.

Level Mate

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #16

The LevelMate is almost mandatory in a travel trailer but not so much with the MH. I use it to see how much leveling is needed and if more than four inches I break out the leveling blocks. I don’t like how the auto leveling system will sometimes lift the front wheels off the ground. Driving up on 4-6 inches of pad just helps the auto level do it’s thing and keeps the tires in touch with the ground.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The LevelMate is almost mandatory in a travel trailer but not so much with the MH. I use it to see how much leveling is needed and if more than four inches I break out the leveling blocks. I don’t like how the auto leveling system will sometimes lift the front wheels off the ground. Driving up on 4-6 inches of pad just helps the auto level do it’s thing and keeps the tires in touch with the ground.
I use it in the same way. Also helps find the sweet spot on the site before auto leveling.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

I have an older android cell phone that I now use as a portable tablet for the LCI tablet. I just keep it charged and so far I have not had any issues with using it to control everything.
Campincarters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, generator, show