Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Ongoing work prior to first trip (3011DS)

Quick update on some things I have been doing with our new 3011DS prior to making our first trip and since the original walk through.

(http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gh-100231.html)

Since we have been getting some nice days on the weekends, I have been taking the RV out of storage, parking it in front of the house, and have been doing some homework.

Front End – The driver’s side front end is making all kinds of noises when I make a turn, will need to have this checked out.

Alignment – Confirmed with local shop that specializes in truck alignments. They recommended putting a couple of thousand miles on the unit before having it aligned. FR also confirmed that they will pick up $250 towards the cost when I have it done.

Ice Maker – Thanks to the forum here, I determined why it was not working during walk through. Seems the tech (and I) were unaware of the shutoff behind the draw at the bottom of the frig. However, I also determined that the water line runs to the outside of the RV through the frig panel access. Is that a potential freezing problem?

Freezer – Doors are out of alignment and contact each other when closing, needs to be fixed. PS. That plastic wrap on the doors was a pain in the butt to get off! I should have had the RV place do that for me.

Levelers – Seem to work ok although when using them at my house but it seems to lift the RV much higher than you would think should be necessary to account for road crown on relatively flat surface. I.e. front wheel off the ground. Also after it is down, there is a noticeable back to front slope. I’m thinking there might be a process to re-calibrate the system but the manual does mention it. Looks like I will have to do some searching.

House Batteries – I re-cabled the battery compartment to at least allow the battery water caps to be removed without the need for a socket wrench. Ideally many of the cable lengths should be adjusted to allow easy removal of the batteries and minimal wear and tear on the wires. To/From Labeling would also be useful. Project for a different day.

Stove – I can’t imagine how the driver went 800 miles from the FR factory to the RV dealer unless he was wearing ear plugs. The metal on metal banging that I tolerated for only a 100 Miles of driving was really starting to get to me. All it took was a few rubber pieces stuck to the metal contact points between the range top and chassis. Seems fixed for now.

LED Tail lights – I’m sure there are probably some comments about this elsewhere but I could not easily find any. While this issue started with just the backup light in one taillight, it now appears to be affecting all sections of both taillights. I’m not sure if it’s a problem with water leakage but each taillight looks like it sealed between the wall and light with clear silicone. Or, is it a condensation problem? I.e. sealing the taillight with silicone does not let water vapor out? Thoughts? Maybe this will be a new thread with PICS. Either way, while the lights may work now, this surely will be probably be an issue sooner or later.

Jensen Dash Radio – Voice Guidance is working, but even after setting both voice and master levels to 100% the voice volume is insufficient to hear the directions over the road noise of driving, that is, unless you have the radio volume way up.

Cabin TV – Installed Chromecast receiver into the HDMI #2 input above Jensen cabin radio. I had to run the USB cable from the HDMI input back through the Radio enclosure and out through the coax/outlets in the other section. Removed the plate for the coax which is only screwed into the thin wood board separating the 2 sections. The one screw already pulled through as this type of surface is not really meant to be used with screws unless there is a backing plate. Also, not sure how the holes are made in this material to mount the various type of plates, but it looks more like a hammer was used rather than a saw.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

I had one leaky taillamp.
The center back up light was the culprit.
My unit had 2 screws and a small gasket on the center back up lamps.
The new one I had delivered has 3 screws and seals better.
I still removed both lenses and sealed them with clear silicon prior to reinstall.
No more leaks so far.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I had one leaky taillamp.
The center back up light was the culprit.
My unit had 2 screws and a small gasket on the center back up lamps.
The new one I had delivered has 3 screws and seals better.
I still removed both lenses and sealed them with clear silicon prior to reinstall.
No more leaks so far.
Sounds like you may have different lights than what we have on our unit. Attached picture to make sure. We have a single cover over on all thee tail light fixtures. It may be possible that leaks through the screw holes could be an issue (Air or water), especially if each of the lights does not have an inside gasket. The only way to tell might be to take off the covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_130222.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	100733   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_130231.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	100734  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #4

Bigfoot levelers need to be calibrated it's very easy. Second page of Bigfoot instruction pamphlet.
Jensen radio has another setting for all volume. Turn nav to 6 and it will boost volume. Keep radio around a 2 or 3.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

The noise on the front end could be the wheel covers. Ours make a clicking noise that's worse when turning. Apparently the wheels flex a little. Billet aluminum wheels will cure the noise but keeping the window up and the radio on is cheaper.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
The noise on the front end could be the wheel covers. Ours make a clicking noise that's worse when turning. Apparently the wheels flex a little. Billet aluminum wheels will cure the noise but keeping the window up and the radio on is cheaper.
I had that noise in the right rear wheel on my dually and found a lug nut rolling around in there! WOW! Not good. You might pull the cover and check that out soon.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Sounds like you may have different lights than what we have on our unit. Attached picture to make sure. We have a single cover over on all thee tail light fixtures. It may be possible that leaks through the screw holes could be an issue (Air or water), especially if each of the lights does not have an inside gasket. The only way to tell might be to take off the covers.

We have the same tail lights on ours and one of them was a little fogged on the backup light like yours. I was thinking of taking off the cover and trying to clean it. Our unit was going in for some warranty repair and that was on the list. They didn't even try to fix the existing tail light, they went ahead and ordered a new one and it sure looks great now.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #8

Loose lug nuts are scary.

Ford recommends retorquing the lug nuts after a few miles. I doubt the delivery drivers do it. The Ford documents that came with ours also recommended retorquing the rear spring u-bolts. That was fun.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
We have the same tail lights on ours and one of them was a little fogged on the backup light like yours. I was thinking of taking off the cover and trying to clean it. Our unit was going in for some warranty repair and that was on the list. They didn't even try to fix the existing tail light, they went ahead and ordered a new one and it sure looks great now.
Ben, I will probably do the same. I have a list of things that need to be addressed in the next several weeks so this is just going on the list.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
That was probably going to be my next step just to eliminate that as a possibility. Also, I want to try and take the covers off anyway just to see what the level of effort is.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Bigfoot levelers need to be calibrated it's very easy. Second page of Bigfoot instruction pamphlet.
Jensen radio has another setting for all volume. Turn nav to 6 and it will boost volume. Keep radio around a 2 or 3.
STL,

I did find the nav volume on the general setup and turned that up to 6. I completely forgot about that setting and am betting that should take care of it. As for the calibration, all the Bigfoot doc that I have makes no mention of it so I will probably be calling them today.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Sealing Lights

After years of struggling with boat trailer lights, I figured out that a 1/2" large hole in the lens bottom lets the moisture out, without letting water in. Good LED lights are sealed, but I've had problems with some of the LEDs going out on my truck camper LED brakelight. I suspect a moisture issue, since the bulbs don't typically fail.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #13

Just remember don't level from a counter top. Level your rig using refrigerator.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post

Same lamps.
Mine only had 2 screws in the clear lense and would leak.