Old 06-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Ordered new Forester, rear tire a problem?

I ordered a new Forester and just joined this forum. Been reading about issues on rear tires and checking pressure and adding air. I didn't really get a good look at ones at the dealer. On my 04 Winnebago, I had to replace the rubber stems with metal ones designed for the E-350 dually which made it easy to check and air.
Do the tires come with TPMS? What type of extensions are on them from the factory?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on ordering a Forester! Unless changes have been made in the last year and a half, there is no TPMS. We have not had any issues with leaking rear tires and valve extensions are roughly 2". You may have problems with air bags leaking from the valve stems -- that's the only place we've had any issue with leaking air.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanks SkipnTerri. We met a couple at the beach who have a 2 year old Forester and I call him mentioning the leaking air bags. He added an automatic compressor to keep the bags up. I currently have airlift bags on my Winnebago which I installed myself 10 years ago. I have to add a little air every few weeks but it never goes below 50lbs. Is it the stems or shredder valve or tube at the valve that's leaking?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

I replaced the plastic valve stem caps with with metal ones that contain a gasket. Definitely made a difference. We also carry a small compressor just in case. Some use a small bicycle pump with quick release, which will work, too.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

SkipnTerri- I replaced the valve caps on my Winnebago airbags too and carry both a bike hand pump and 12v truck tire compressor. So the problem is in the valve itself and a metal cap solves the problem. Good news
Still wondering about the dually stems, are the outter u shaped or do you need a double headed air chuck? Also, are the inner extensions long enough to add air without removing the wheel liners?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

I use a double headed air chuck. Valve stems from factory are long enough.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

My valve stem extender leaked when new. Dealer tightened them up on first visit and they have been fine since.

No problem with my air bags, knock on wood!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

We bought a 2012 FR 29' toyhauler with 11200 lb GVW and hooked up, crossed scales at 10200 lbs loaded. We had tires leaking air and found we Broke five 15" wheels for the reason I believe were under rated at 2500 a wheel. pins hole leaks on the weld of the chrome inset where the lugs are. Checked with axle Co. and they gave me the solution, Went to 16" 3500 lb wheels and solved the problem. The axle already is a 7000 lb axle and accepted the 12" brake , 8 lug, 16" wheel and tire. Haven't had any problems since.

Tags
forester, tire