Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Outdoor speaker wiring issue

I have had an ongoing speaker issue since new.
When I turn on the outside speakers, one door speaker goes out and one outside speaker does not work.
I attempted to repair the issue by removing the switch that turns the outside speakers on (Sigma 6 prong switch) and playing with wire combinations.
Wiring seems pretty basic (I do not have a subwoofer and only one radio- dash). I attempted to determine what wire was for what - 4 speaker wires and 4 grounds. Wiring seemed correct and any attempt at altering the system would not change it or would mess up the cab completely. One speaker wire appeared to do nothing.
I am thinking the issue is either behind the radio or with any splices in the wiring harness.

Is there any diagram available for this?.
Should be pretty basic I would think. 2 front speaker wires (+ and -) , 2 outside speakers (+ and -)- connect the grounds left and rt and 4 wires left remaining for the switch tabs.
The wires are color coded blue and green. Left/Right ?
I am assuming the switch tabs are left/right also.
I looked on Sigmas website for a diagram- could not find one- only the part. (201j)

Not sure where to go next. Pulling out the radio appears to be a chore.
I am trying to not take it in for warranty.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Class C Representative

Did you play with the fading on the radio? The only way to get both outside speakers to work is fade it all the way to the right. You will, in turn, lose a door speaker.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Intermittent speakers

One thing you may want to look at is the wiring at the speakers. Our outdoor speakers would work fine and then all of a sudden stop working. I would push on the trailer where the speakers were and they would come back on. Removed the speakers and found that the wiring is barely attached. Tighened the ends and re-istalled the wires. So far seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps.

Bill and Diane
2012 Greywolf 18RB
2015 Dodge Ram EcoDiesel
Equalizer Hitch
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat661 View Post
One thing you may want to look at is the wiring at the speakers. Our outdoor speakers would work fine and then all of a sudden stop working. I would push on the trailer where the speakers were and they would come back on. Removed the speakers and found that the wiring is barely attached. Tighened the ends and re-istalled the wires. So far seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps.

Bill and Diane
2012 Greywolf 18RB
2015 Dodge Ram EcoDiesel
Equalizer Hitch
I have not looked at the speaker wires yet- I will do that next. My rig is stored in a tight spot with limited access to get a ladder in there.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Team

Check or better yet re-do all the connections. I had trouble with some of my speakers and after careful inspection, I found that the connections ( using wire nuts) were the issue. In the offending connections the wires were insufficiently stripped prior to adding the wire nuts and the connection was poor or nonexistent. I re-stripped and reconnected all speaker wires and everything works as expected.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Did you play with the fading on the radio? The only way to get both outside speakers to work is fade it all the way to the right. You will, in turn, lose a door speaker.
I will try that.
But that seems like a strange way to wire them-unless the idea was to lower the cab volume so you can increase the outside volume.
Why not just wire all the speaker wires together (either outsides jumped to the door speakers or attached to the "rear speaker" side) and put a ground switch for the outside speakers only.
Then you can kill the outside speakers only and the door speakers will still run .

Is there a wiring diagram so I know what is what?
I have 2 sets of black/green and 2 sets of black/blue to the switch (8 wires to 6 poles on the switch)

I just tried the fade- did not work.
I will check the speaker wire (nearest the door) when I get some time.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
CC4

Intermittent speaker

When I took possession of my trailer (2015 Tracer 250 Air) one of the outside speakers didn't operate (it was never connected). Once that problem was corrected by "me and my soldering iron" I found that the other exterior speaker was wired "out of phase". (On low notes the speaker is supposed to pump not suck in). Once the exterior speakers were connected I decided to take a closer look at the four interior speakers. Two were wired out of phase and the left-right configuration made no sense at all. Four hours later and everything was wired in phase, with proper left-right configuration. But when the interior lights were on there was a horrible buzz on the radio and lines on the t.v. monitor. That problem I left to the dealership to solve during my winterization visit. The antenna cabling had not been properly secured so shifted whenever the trailer was moved. Now I have good clear in-phase sound coming out of all the speakers. Sometimes what comes out of the factory is laughable.
CC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Well...guess I should have looked at the easiest thing first.
The wires were not connected to the outside speaker closest to the door.
Everything works now- even both speakers in the cab when the outsides are turned on.
The fader (left right) does not seem to work now. Don't really care if both channels are working- they seem to be.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Jeff and Sue

Can Speakers run ouside only?

I have a 2016 Forester 2701ds Class C. To use the outdoor speakers you must fade the stereo to the front cab. You can turn them off outside with the switch, just inside the door over the sofa. Can you have them on outside, and not in the front cab? For example if you want to listen to music outside, but someone might want to sleep inside
JeffSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #10

What model radio do you have? I'm sure someone can help you here. My radio has three separate zones that can be played independently.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Jeff and Sue

Outside Speaker

I have a Jensen in dash that is multi purpose, AM, FM, Satelite Radio, DVD, Navigation, and Blutooth.
JeffSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSue View Post
I have a Jensen in dash that is multi purpose, AM, FM, Satelite Radio, DVD, Navigation, and Blutooth.
I probably have the same unit.
I cannot seem to fade the inside speakers off with the outside speakers on.
Probably how it should have been connected.
I may check the wiring to the unit some day. If the outside speakers are not wired all the way to the dash unit- you probably cannot put them on another channel.

Maybe out of luck on this one.
I will probably just use 2 pillows to cover the door speakers when I want to quiet the interior

Tags
door, wiring