Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Outside Door Latch Problem

Since we have had the RV (we are in year 4) I have had issues with closing the outside door off and on. However, this year the problem has been more consistent and seems to vary with temperature, sun direction, position of the RV and if it is up on levelerís or not. The problem at this point is that the flat part of the latch (see picture with latch circled) is contacting the strike plat right on the beginning of the flat section of the latch which does not force it to retract and close. I.e. when the variables I mention above force the door into a position where the latch contacts the plate on the inline, the door closes, and when it contacts the plate on the flat section, it does not close and I have to pull the handle out to close the door.

My question for the forum is does anyone know who the door lock/latch mechanism is manufactured by? And/or does anyone know if there is an option to slightly retract the latch inside the housing such that the flat portion of the latch will not extend out so far and I can force the incline portion of the latch to contact the strike plate.

Thanks

RVr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_101114a.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	209447   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_101123a.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	209448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_101216a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	209449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Latcha.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	209450  

newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

Same issue, following

I have the same issues when it is hot outside, so just following to hear what folks have to say.

Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

The latch assembly is made by Trimark.
The adjustment you asked about does not exist. From your pictures it appears the issue is that the door is not properly mounted in the sidewall. There should be a slight gap between the frame and the edge of the door. From the wear marks in your picture this is not the case. You may be able to seat the door strike side of the frame a bit to create a gap. That may be only simple solution other than correctly remounting the door. .
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

They’re adjustable. Start on the door frame side. Loosen the two Phillips head screws...BARELY. Note where the screws are positioned (magic marker). Close the door several times. It will push the strike plate up or down. Then, see which direction the part moves, loosen it a little more and move it about an additional 1/32 inch. Securely tighten the screws (I use a Phillips bit set into a socket). If that’s not enough or doesn’t work repeat the process by loosening and moving the two round pins on the door.

I had to adjust mine several times before I was satisfied. The only time I have a problem now is when the auto level doesn’t cooperate. The tight door tells me to re-level. Works every time.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
The latch assembly is made by Trimark.
The adjustment you asked about does not exist. From your pictures it appears the issue is that the door is not properly mounted in the sidewall. There should be a slight gap between the frame and the edge of the door. From the wear marks in your picture this is not the case. You may be able to seat the door strike side of the frame a bit to create a gap. That may be only simple solution other than correctly remounting the door. .
Steve, Those are not wear marks, I actually used a grinder on the door edge because it was hitting the strike plate as well. That removed that issue but i still have the issue with the latch hitting the strike plate on the flat edge. I looked at is some more and I may be able to seat the strike plate back a little by using some washers between the strike plate and door jamb. This may give me just enough room to mitigate the issue. I might have to grind down the door jamb a bit to do this but it may work.

PS. Thanks for providing the Trimark detail. I actually figured that out late yesterday and was also able to see that there are no internal adjustments by watching this video which shows someone making a repair to a similar unit.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Theyíre adjustable. Start on the door frame side. Loosen the two Phillips head screws...BARELY. Note where the screws are positioned (magic marker). Close the door several times. It will push the strike plate up or down. Then, see which direction the part moves, loosen it a little more and move it about an additional 1/32 inch. Securely tighten the screws (I use a Phillips bit set into a socket). If thatís not enough or doesnít work repeat the process by loosening and moving the two round pins on the door.

I had to adjust mine several times before I was satisfied. The only time I have a problem now is when the auto level doesnít cooperate. The tight door tells me to re-level. Works every time.
emm-dee,

Yes, when up on levels there is no issue, when I park door side facing the house there is an issue and when I park door side facing street there is not. Obviously the geometry of the door changes just enough when the RV is in different situations to cause the issue. So when I repair it I will be doing so with the driver side facing the house and if I get it to close properly then, we are probably good to go.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

What about taking the grinder to the latch bolt and tapering the flat section a bit so that it flows into the factory taper.

The root cause is the improper mounting of the door at the factory. Mine was the same but opposite, the weather seals did not touch.you. Could see light along 2/3 of the strike side. The door was replaced at the factory this past winter.

I also have found if the unit is sitting at a angle the door binds more than it should. Obviously frame flex.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2016 Honda Accord
Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
What about taking the grinder to the latch bolt and tapering the flat section a bit so that it flows into the factory taper.

The root cause is the improper mounting of the door at the factory. Mine was the same but opposite, the weather seals did not touch.you. Could see light along 2/3 of the strike side. The door was replaced at the factory this past winter.

I also have found if the unit is sitting at a angle the door binds more than it should. Obviously frame flex.
Steve, I did grind the latch a bit before and that helped but it seems the door shifts more than it used to so now that is probably not the best option. And I agree, when the RV is sitting at an angle one way or the other, the problem is much more noticeable.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

Door lock

Here is what I found. The red knob that is the main lock was just big enough that in the summer it was swelling up against the screen door causing it not to close properly . So what l did was take a pair of channel locks and squeeze on the screen door Were the red lock Push against it and that solve my problem . I wish I could sent you a picture , but my rig is in the shop getting the bedroom slide fix weíre a landscape guy back into it and warped it
joel ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #10

NewRVer
FR is now using Bauer door latches rather than the Trimark (at least on my new door) the latch is tapered all the way back in to the door so the flat spot your dealing with does not exist.

I dont know if the mounting hole in the door is exactly the same but just wanted to put another possible option on the table.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2016 Honda Accord

Tags
door