Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Site Team

Outside fridge access panel

Have any of you had to replace your painted panel. Mine is Cobalt color scheme and blew off somewhere last month. The fridge is the 4 door norcold.
How'd you get it painted to match you RV. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190614-232355~2.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	209978Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_092615541_HDR.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	209979

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #2

Most auto collision repair places could do the job. I used to have the paint codes but cannot find now. Call Forester and they will give you the codes you need. Make sure the fasteners are in the closed position when painting.

Better yet, do it yourself. Once you get the codes you can get the paint in spray cans. It's a really small area so it shouldn't be that difficult. You'll probably have to mask, re-mask and then re-mask again so it might take a few days to allow for sufficient paint drying.

Check with Forester to determine if you have to use a clear coat application after laying the colors on. I had an electric controlled side view mirror knocked off a Buick at a Walmart lot a few years back. A new one was over $400 but I found one at a salvage yard for something like $30. I was painted white and I needed light blue. Got the paint at a custom paint shop, sprayed it and then clear coated. Perfect match. When I got rid of the unit after four years you still couldn't tell it had been replaced.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

Mine blew off as well ,exact same color, but luckily I drove back 70 miles and found it laying on the opposite side of the road. I mistakenly thought the fasteners should be in the open direction , thus the loss.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for thoughts. We just booked at the Goshen frog rally after being convinced they would do it there. But I hadn't thought of painting it myself. I have the sample paint bottles with codes.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #5

In fear if this on my 3011 DS with full body paint, I attached the bottom of the door with cable ties. Now even if the latches fail, the door cannot detach. The cable ties also allow me to let the door hang when servicing.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Good idea. 4th RV and never lost a panel. But this is the first motorhome and first norcold fridge. [emoji848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach428 View Post
In fear if this on my 3011 DS with full body paint, I attached the bottom of the door with cable ties. Now even if the latches fail, the door cannot detach. The cable ties also allow me to let the door hang when servicing.

Tags
forester, fridge