Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

overhead cabinet doors hinges

We have a 2018 3011DS and have an issue with the overhead cabinet doors on the drivers side. The cabinet struts have a lot of tension in them, to the point it has stressed the hinge where it seats on the cabinet door. The plastic pieces that the screws go into cannot handle the stress and have separated from the door. The end result is the whole hinge popping out of the door.

Does anyone here know an effective fix for getting this hinges to stay put in the door?
Thanks

lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

I would venture a guess that your door struts are improperly installed. If that is the case, you will need to fix that first or anything you do with the hinge will fail. For the hinge repair, you will need to plug the stripped holes and remount the hinge, or move it over a bit so you can get the screws in solid material. Now if your hinge mount is like the one pictured below, you may be able to use some gorilla glue to remount the screw plugs. Its hard to tell from your photo. (hint)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	613E1543-7A3E-4828-BB25-9E96B9419FA6.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	174899  

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I would venture a guess that your door struts are improperly installed.
+1 You should be able to unscrew and reposition them so there is not so much tension.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

I tried to get my dealer to install these hinges on my rig when I bought it. They called the factory and the factory advised not putting them on at all. I suspect its b/c of all the pressboard that these cabinets are made of - I wonder if the Forester has the same cabinetry?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I tried to get my dealer to install these hinges on my rig when I bought it. They called the factory and the factory advised not putting them on at all. I suspect its b/c of all the pressboard that these cabinets are made of - I wonder if the Forester has the same cabinetry?
The door in the photo is from my 2018 Sunseeker. The stiles are wood but I donít know what kind. If you look at the hinge pocket you can tell. The doors I had made for the wardrobe are solid stain grade oak. No screw plugs needed.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

We had a similar problem with three cabinets over our cab. Between the hinges, the struts, and the placement of the bed over the cab, the cabinets slammed shut with so much force that two of the three cabinet doors actually split apart and had to be replaced under warranty.

I don't know exactly what you have, but we had two struts on each door. I understand they don't want the doors to fly open while you're driving down the road, but I did a controlled experiment and removed one strut from each door and it was more than fine. One strut is used on all the other cabinets, so I figured it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

We also replaced the hinges with those slow-close hinges. They're exactly the same hinges except they have a piece of plastic embedded inside that makes the door close slowly on its own. The strut somewhat cancels that affect out, but the combination of one strut with the slow-close hinge stopped the crazy amount of force that happened when the doors shut. Our dealer was the one who recommended the slow-close hinge, and they didn't seem too surprised when I asked, so it must be a somewhat common question.

This whole experience was bit of a bummer for us because the new doors they sent were, of course, not exactly the same color, so we have two doors that are slightly darker. But at least everything opens and closes better now.
jhnstphn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:20 AM   #7

I have a 2017 that had the same problem. Go to Home Depot and buy a tube of Grab it from the paint dept. Squeeze a little in the round area of hinge, let set for 24 hr. no more problem
army1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #8

Same problem on our 2017 3011DS. My plastic inserts pulled out. A little gorilla glue and inserts pressed back in solved the problem.

Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door