Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

P.a.t.s. (Anti theft system)

Hello. I went to retrieve my 2011 forester 2861DS e450 Banks from the storage center. It started for a brief second then died. My pats light on dash is flashing rapidly. I do not have a key fob type key. I reset my remote for keyless entry as per manual but cannot get it to reset pats system. No help from ford dealer or rv center. Any knowledge is appreciated as I need rv for family to stay in while visiting tomorrow evening. Thank you

DeltaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Do you have a second key? Believe vehicle is reading a code from a chip in the key. Code enables main engine control computer. Maybe the chip in your key is damaged.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did it always start and run without the key fob key? (with chip)

If someone bypassed the P.A.T.S. system somewhere along the way then I understand there may be an issue... but if it is factory stock, the bare key is only to unlock the doors in an emergency. When you start it with the bare key, it will act just like you described. That's how the Passive Anti-Theft System operates.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=32
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Do you have a second key? Believe vehicle is reading a code from a chip in the key. Code enables main engine control computer. Maybe the chip in your key is damaged.

The other two keys are standard keys. Key using is a standard key with a plastic end. Back up keys are simple silver keys so no chip in them. I need to reset the system but donít know how
Old 11-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did it always start and run without the key fob key? (with chip)

If someone bypassed the P.A.T.S. system somewhere along the way then I understand there may be an issue... but if it is factory stock, the bare key is only to unlock the doors in an emergency. When you start it with the bare key, it will act just like you described. That's how the Passive Anti-Theft System operates.

Have never had this problem in the year and a half Iíve owned it. Only thing Iíve done this week was change out my house batteries
Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't know of any way to reset the system. If it's flashing and won't start it's because there is something inoperative/broken or it was unable to read the key.

If you only have the one chip key (which no longer works) and unless you have a Forscan tool and understand how to use it, I suspect your only option is a dealer.

I did read a few years ago that some cell phone chargers, when plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet, emitted enough RF that it would interfere with the key reader but I have no real world experience to verify.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know of any way to reset the system. If it's flashing and won't start it's because there is something inoperative/broken or it was unable to read the key.

If you only have the one chip key (which no longer works) and unless you have a Forscan tool and understand how to use it, I suspect your only option is a dealer.

I did read a few years ago that some cell phone chargers, when plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet, emitted enough RF that it would interfere with the key reader but I have no real world experience to verify.

Thank you for your response and time. I literally parked it and have done nothing out of the ordinary. I have seen other ford models on the internet that have demonstrated reset procedures however canít find info on mine. A bit frustrating that 2 ford dealers and the authorized rv service dealer have no answer for me. Does not make one bit of sense. I cannot accept that because I know there is a solution. Thanks again
Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Head Rambler

I suspect that the transponder key is bad. You can buy new transponder keys pretty cheap, but you'll still have to pay a dealer or mobile guy (with programming capability), to program it.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

You said "I reset my remote for keyless entry as per manual". Is there a procedure to turn keyless entry back on for the remote?
Cars are so smart now, that even the owner can't do anythkng without the proper key fob.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Keyless Entry and the P.A.T.S. are two completely different systems.