Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #1

Picking up 2017 Sunseeker 2430 GTS today!

Yeah! We are very excited and a bit apprehensive, too. This is our first motorhome--we've had trailers, truck camper and fifth wheel. Lots of new things to learn with a motorized unit. Looking for tips and advice to keep the motorized part in shape during storage. Fuel stability? Generator? Driving schedule? We will be storing outside in our driveway for most of the winter.
Hope our pre-acceptance inspection goes well today. We'll be spending our first night at the dealership campground. Whoopee--love camping!
2jcsontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Welcome from SW Ohio ! Enjoy your Sunseeker ! It will be all your other RVs combined.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Congrats. Just remember to run that generator under load every few weeks. Sitting unused is its mortal enemy. I use Stable Marine 360 in the fuel. For normal camping season 1 ounce to 10 gallons and during winter storage 1 ounce to 5 gallons of fuel. Good luck.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

The generator carburetor has a drain screw. After you run it periodically, let it cool a few minutes, then put a paper towel under the carburetor and drain the gas. One paper towel will absorb the gas that drains out.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

If you can, drive it about 30 minutes once per month. Don't just run it at idle in the driveway. You want to get the oil hot long enough to cook any moisture out of the oil. In my opinion, it's better to let it sit than to run it at idle.

If conditions aren't favorable for driving it, don't worry about it. Many motorhomes sit for months and few have engine problems because of it.

I would change the oil and filter when it has 500 to 1000 miles. I don't think the chassis manufacturer recommends it being changed before the normal interval, but personally I think it's good to get any break-in stuff out.

As for service intervals, I go by their severe duty schedules. The owner's manual for our Ford E450 is written for a wide range of vehicles and services. An E150 that hauls flowers isn't the same service as a 14,000 pound motorhome towing a 4,000 pound SUV in the Rocky Mountains.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

While in storage.

I did my first oil change on the v10 a little over 2000 miles. I put in a Motorcraft syn blend. After another 1000 miles I will change it again to a 5w-30 full syn. for our 3000+ mile trip south in February. I have the chassis battery on a automatic maintenance charger. It keeps the batteries at 13.2 volts.
I installed a fuel shutoff valve to the generator fuel line so if I know the generator will be sitting for a month or so I will remove the load and let it run out of fuel. I did the first oil change on the generator after 5 hours to a full synthetic.
Right now I have the MH plugged in to keep the batteries topped and checking on them every couple weeks. The 3 stage converter keeps the batteries right at 13.2 volts last time I checked.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

WE have also got the V10 in our 2014 Sun Seeker. We do not have the luxury of plugging it in so all batteries go to the basement on a tender. The important thing is to put fresh oil in the engine just before winter storage. We use a semisynthetic. One of my friends is a mechanic and he says its best to leave it over the winter without starting it rather than firing it up and just letting it idle for a time. We have a cover so taking it for a drive is not in the plans.. You will notice that there are very few problems/ issues with the Sun Seekers on the forum..

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #8

Thank you everyone. We are very happy with the Sunseeker so far. Happy we spent the night in the dealer's campground as we found a couple of issues that were fixed before we drove it home.
Bathroom door lock not properly aligned so door wouldn't stay closed. It's better now, but not quite perfect. Tech said door is a tad out of plumb.
Sliding privacy curtain catch not aligned with curtain. About 1/4 inch low. Fixed.
Bigfoot automatic leveling system installed, but not calibrated to level. Tech took care of it.
Jensen house entertainment system speakers not working properly. One outside speaker has to be replaced. On order.
Learned that new/newer RV's are like a traveling computer. Ford chassis with the Pioneer radio system had us bamfoozled until we found some YouTube videos that showed how to set it up and use it.
2jcsontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Post a couple of pics when you get a chance.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jcsontheroad View Post
Yeah! We are very excited and a bit apprehensive, too. This is our first motorhome--we've had trailers, truck camper and fifth wheel. Lots of new things to learn with a motorized unit. Looking for tips and advice to keep the motorized part in shape during storage. Fuel stability? Generator? Driving schedule? We will be storing outside in our driveway for most of the winter.
Hope our pre-acceptance inspection goes well today. We'll be spending our first night at the dealership campground. Whoopee--love camping!
For the winter, I cover my RVs (have for 10 years w/ no issues). This is my newest cover - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/adco-...-p/01-0119.htm

Follow these instructions (direct from the Onan manual) which will benefit both your chassis and generator motors.

"Gasoline — Depending upon your location in the country, gasoline can start to deteriorate in as little as 30 days. Treat the entire fuel tank with gasoline stabilizer. Run genset for two hours at 50 to 70 percent load. This process will circulate the treated fuel through the entire fuel system."

This is what I use / where I buy it - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/OnaFr...-p/55-9550.htm

Since my motorhomes are covered, I don't drive them during the winter, but do start them up once / month. As long as you get them up to normal operating temperature you're fine. Run it until the temp gauge is normal, the heater is blowing hot air and there is no exhaust steam.

I keep a battery tender on the chassis (Ford in my case) battery all winter. My coach batteries get stored in my garage. I use a small 12V battery I have to start the gen. each month. You might elect to leave your coach batteries in the RV; if so, you'll need to keep a battery tender on them as well and keep an eye on the water levels.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #11

Draining the gen carb is a great idea
Learn something new every day
For the last two winters I fill the Coach with a tank of ethanol free gas and add SeaFoam fuel additive
At least monthly I fire up the gen and either turn on the AC or Heat pump and take her for a drive (prob 12-15 miles)
It that generator is started and run monthly with good fuel/stabilizer,it will not gum up
Driving not only heats up the oil but gets tires rotating to prevent drying and cracking
Wish I had a place to store indoors but mines outside at my friends farm
Oh and I cover the tires too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #12

Congrats on the rv! You will love the class c. Good info on how to store it. Thanks y'all
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker