Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Powering toad brake system

Bought a rvi3 Brake for the Jeep toad. Just wondering how everyone is powering theirs Got a portable battery boost that I originally intended to use but not sure I want to have to move that into and out of the Jeep all the time. I know the 12 v power port is only hot when the key is in the accessories position but just not sure how fast that will kill the battery. Also kicking around the idea of a dedicated fused port coming straight off battery mounted somewhere down around emergency brake area, then using hot charge wire from mh to keep battery charged. Any ideas?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

I have an rvi2 and use a direct connection to the battery with a small trickle charger attached to the battery and powered through the RV connection. Simple, clean and works great.

newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Retired Navy

I have a Brake Buddy that is powered from the 12 v power port on my Honda Fit.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

x2

X2 on the brake buddy. if your are not familar with the itemit allows power from the coach to the toad batt but uses diodes to prevent power from feeding back to the coach from the toad. It is about the size of a pack of matches.

Check you tow line as you may already have a coach 12 volt constant source.

The question I have for you is what are you doing for toad brake lights? Many coach and toads use a canbus wire lighting system that do not play well with each other....
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
X2 on the brake buddy. if your are not familar with the itemit allows power from the coach to the toad batt but uses diodes to prevent power from feeding back to the coach from the toad. It is about the size of a pack of matches.

Check you tow line as you may already have a coach 12 volt constant source.

The question I have for you is what are you doing for toad brake lights? Many coach and toads use a canbus wire lighting system that do not play well with each other....

Yes Iím thinking thereís a 12 volt constant from the coach that I was going to take straight to the battery to help keep it charged but havenít yet verified that. As for the lighting, I basically just wired the Jeep up like a trailer. I went to the junk yard and got a couple of small brake/ taillights that would fit in the limited space for a hole in the Jeep tail light assembly, wired them straight to a 4 flat connector and adapted that to the rv plug. Works like a charm and no feedback $20! My only concern is that the center brake light doesnít light up when braking but guess Iíll have to chance that not being a problem with the law.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
I have an rvi2 and use a direct connection to the battery with a small trickle charger attached to the battery and powered through the RV connection. Simple, clean and works great.

So can I just go straight from the 12 volt hot coming from the rv or do I need that trickle charger?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
My Edge had LED brake lights with all sorts of potential issues using them in TOAD mode. So I went with TowMates' RVHW32 Wireless RV Tow Light Package. See Here They work great and only require a 12VDC power plug to run them in the TOAD. The transmitter I use plugs in to my 7 Pin connector. There are several options...

Don't let the MSRP price scare you, I paid just over $200 for my TowMate. I would have paid more to have the Edge and Focus "hardwired" and risked all the interface issues.

The nice thing is when we changed TOAD's, to a new Ford Focus, these lights just moved on over with no issues...

Since Ford requires the TOAD battery to be disconnected I run a 2 Pin cable with the break away switch wire to bring in power in to the car from the coach. That powers my Patriot brake system and the lights. Quick and easy...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Towed Vehicle Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckranch View Post
Bought a rvi3 Brake for the Jeep toad. Just wondering how everyone is powering theirs Got a portable battery boost that I originally intended to use but not sure I want to have to move that into and out of the Jeep all the time. I know the 12 v power port is only hot when the key is in the accessories position but just not sure how fast that will kill the battery. Also kicking around the idea of a dedicated fused port coming straight off battery mounted somewhere down around emergency brake area, then using hot charge wire from mh to keep battery charged. Any ideas?
I also purchased an RVi3 as well as the RVi charger which is powered off the 12v hot at the 7 pin connector at the MH. I also purchased the battery direct kit from RVi as my towed vehicle does not have a constant hot 12v. As for tail and brake lights, I found a kit by Roadmaster that wired right into the vehicle system with diodes to prevent back feeding. I had this all installed at an RV dealer who also installed my baseplate and tow bar from BLue Ox.
Doug Eichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckranch View Post
Check your fuse panel schematic. Our Jeep was set up as yours. The cigarette lighter comes on with the ignition. A jeep tech showed me how easy it was. Next to the fuse that powers the lighter is a blank port. Move the fuse into that port and the cigarette lighter circuit bypasses the ignition. That easy!
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Toad vehicle braking

Thanks! The only thing is I donít have a Jeep! Iím towing a Lincoln MKX 2016. There may be a way to get a 12v outlet hot but Ií Not sure how. Thatís why I bought the battery direct kit.
Doug Eichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Check your fuse panel schematic. Our Jeep was set up as yours. The cigarette lighter comes on with the ignition. A jeep tech showed me how easy it was. Next to the fuse that powers the lighter is a blank port. Move the fuse into that port and the cigarette lighter circuit bypasses the ignition. That easy!

Dang, I just installed a 12 volt outlet powered straight off the battery thru a fuse! Oh well thanks for the info!

Tags
power, toad