Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Propane tank bleed valve problem

We have a 2016 forester 2219s which sat unused for a year before we bought it.On our first trip,at 1/2 full, the small relief valve would not let the tank vent-no hiss.The guy wouldn't fill it,says it's defective.at 1/4 full next guy ignored the no hiss & put 5 gal in which filled it.Why does this valve not bleed,yet allow 5 gal in? Also I was told I had a 33 gal tank,which makes 5 gal seem too low.Can anyone advise me on this small bleed valve problem?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Apparently my bleed valve is clogged or defective as well but I haven't had any issues in getting the tank filled. The bleed valve is a secondary safety device to protect from overfilling. There's also a float inside the tank that is (as it was described to me) the primary defense against overfilling. I asked the tech whether I should worry about getting this addressed and was advised not to be overly concerned about it. They suggested that eventually I could take the motorhome to a propane reseller and the would drop the tank, properly empty it and further evaluate and repair/replace. Nevertheless I don't like the idea of a safety device not working properly, but probably won't deal with it right away.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

See my post #6 HERE:

LP refill
Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckelbuck View Post
We have a 2016 forester 2219s which sat unused for a year before we bought it.On our first trip,at 1/2 full, the small relief valve would not let the tank vent-no hiss.The guy wouldn't fill it,says it's defective.at 1/4 full next guy ignored the no hiss & put 5 gal in which filled it.Why does this valve not bleed,yet allow 5 gal in? Also I was told I had a 33 gal tank,which makes 5 gal seem too low.Can anyone advise me on this small bleed valve problem?
They most likely told you it is a 33 pound tank, not 33 gallon. Propane weights 4.2 lb per gallon.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

The reason it is not bleeding is because there is a rubber seal on the end of the bleeder and it is stuck . Any fill station can take out the bleeder than the rubber seal and replace it . It should be done when the tank is low so you will only have vapor coming out not liquid . This is not uncommon.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Happens to me too. But it's never prevented them from filling the tank.

It always seems to start working when they fool around with it a little.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Bleed valve problem

Thanks for the answers,I guess I just ran into a stickler who wouldn't fill my tank.Going again today for a few weeks,so I'll see what happens.

Tags
propane, tank