Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

"Case in point, when I asked about leveling jacks they showed me an idea for installing manual jacks instead of dropping 4 - 6 K on hydraulics"

Any way you could share the idea. Would like to follow your lead! Thanks.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Tinkerer and Putterer

Basically the idea is to install heavy duty manual jacks.

Scissor jacks for the back (these are rated at 7500 lbs each :

Camco 57421 RV Olympian 24" Scissor Jack, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive

And for the front the recommendation was an ultra Fab Power Twin II Stabilizer jack set for the front.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Powertwin II Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer PT II-22

Parts would come out to between 900 and 1000.00 with install adding 2 -4 hundred if the dealer did the install. You would then pick up a 5 -10.00 adapter to spin down the jacks with a drill and pick up a 1/2 inch drill at the local hardware store.

I have the drill and tools to spin down the jacks so no added cost for me there but to add in the cost there here is my drill : (120.00)

Shop DEWALT 10-Amp 1/2-in VSR Pistol Grip Drill at Lowes.com

So max out of pocket expense installed and out the door would be around 1600.00 with the added benefit that I won't have to futz with hydraulics, less weight added to the rig, and I can manually operate the jacks if I have to. I don't know if the front can be spun down with the drill but I am hopeful that a 3/4 inch bit will fit. My sisters trailer has electric jacks and they are too slow to extend. If I can run the fronts down with the drill I should be able to get level in 5 - 10 minutes on even a tough site. If I don't have to back on and off of blocks the Mrs and youngsters will be able to start setting up camp while I level which will save even more time. That much closer to beer thirty!
Of course that is all out the window if I'm at a national park and faced with a 5 degree slope. Some blocks will be needed to keep the wheels in contact and weight on the suspension but even then, backing up onto a 3 stack of blocks/chocks and running the jacks down to another block stack will be much faster than repeatedly resetting blocks for the wheels.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Thanks - will look into this. Two of the rear at Amazon are $130 total, and the front at Etrailer is $600. I've got everything else in terms of tools and supplies, and do all my own work. Let us know how it works out. We didn't opt for the factory hydraulic because of the nearly 300lb weight.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Tinkerer and Putterer

I decided to forgo the manual jacks because there is just no way to mount them so that they are accessible from the rear and not in constant danger of getting smacked when going up a mildly sloped driveway. The front jack setup has a similar problem in that they would drop my clearance up front by 2-3 inches. Guess I'll stick with my original plan of using my blocks and installing air bags all around to do the fine tuning.

Regarding the rest of the punch list. Carolina Coach swapped the TV, repaired the trim etc, swapped the bathroom fan out. Post repair, the airbag on the passenger side is still losing air at a consistent 2 lbs per hour. Not huge so I'll live with it and it will be on the list next time the vehicle goes in for warranty work. Worst case I'll replace the line when the air compressor and front bags are installed.

They missed the non working outside light but when I went in to put a volt meter on the switch I found that it wasn't hooked up. Two pig tails and it was up and running. The item was obviously missed on the list but no harm no foul since it was a 15 minute start to finish fix. The rest of the work was solid and as per usual, their service department is over loaded and under staffed to handle their peak season. I have never found a good shop that didn't have those problems.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

The airbags should be repaired properly, Firestone states the airbag can be damaged without proper air pressure, something that'd be hard to maintain if its going flat in storage.