Old 01-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

Question for 2801QS owners

Hi all:

I'm going to be purchasing a FR Class C in the next couple of weeks. I've basically narrowed it down to the 2801QS or the 3011DS. I'm somewhat concerned about the lack of counter space in and around the kitchen.

It will only be my wife and I in the unit. How limiting is the counter space for food prep, serving, etc.?

I've been lurking here for a month or so and really appreciate the information I've gotten from you all.

TIA

Jim

TouringJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

If the kitchen space is a primary want, you can't do better than the 3011.

jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #3

I'm a kitchen guy and loved the 3011. But I loved the 2801 more. I have a 2016 2801 and have not found any problems with the counter space. Its actually quite adequate. I don't think you will have any problems with just two of you. We love the 2801 it is ideal for to people. P.S. get the theater seating. It makes the rig hard to beat for comfort.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #4

We have a 2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800QSF and haven't needed to put the counter extension up yet while cooking. I do occasionally use it while doing the dishes depending on how big of mess the cook made... And the kitchen has really good storage especially without the gas oven option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
P.S. get the theater seating. It makes the rig hard to beat for comfort.
+1 The theater seats are very nice. My wife really likes the little "snack tables" that fit on to the arm rests.

The 2800 / 2801 is an excellent choice for a couple.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

We purchased a 2017 3011DS back in July. We have only spent about 21 nights in our unit so far but we have never had a problem with kitchen counter space. Our unit came with the theater seating also which we love. the u-shaped couch was one of the selling points for my wife when the grandsons visit.
smokymtncamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
We have a 2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800QSF and haven't needed to put the counter extension up yet while cooking. I do occasionally use it while doing the dishes depending on how big of mess the cook made... And the kitchen has really good storage especially without the gas oven option.

+1 The theater seats are very nice. My wife really likes the little "snack tables" that fit on to the arm rests.

The 2800 / 2801 is an excellent choice for a couple.

You took the words out of my mouth. I have not used the extension either. My wife spends very little time in the coach but .I would suspect she would appreciate the extension. I must say though, I do not cook a lot in the coach. I usually pre clock and freeze several weeks worth of food to carry with me.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringJim View Post
Hi all:

I'm going to be purchasing a FR Class C in the next couple of weeks. I've basically narrowed it down to the 2801QS or the 3011DS. I'm somewhat concerned about the lack of counter space in and around the kitchen.

It will only be my wife and I in the unit. How limiting is the counter space for food prep, serving, etc.?

I've been lurking here for a month or so and really appreciate the information I've gotten from you all.

TIA

Jim
Jim, I just put my 2016 2801QSF up for sale (check the classifieds here). Could save you some big $$$$.

Paul
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Jim,

Here are a couple other discriminators between the two units we found when researching.

If you don't need the Over The Cab (OTC) bunk the GTS has some other advantages. The mini "Trekker" cap used on the GTS is much quieter than the OTC bunk style we had on our MBS. At cruising speed, 60-65MPH for us, it is significantly quieter. And some folks allege you get slightly better gas mileage due to the aerodynamics. I have no way of comparing that one... The storage FR builds in to the cap provides some handy space for manuals, CD's DVD,s and maps for us.

And the big bonus is you don't get rain water draining off right in the center of your drivers and passenger doors. I used to hate getting out of our MBS cab in the rain as it channeled the water right to the door's center. There are several posts on the forum about that issue...

Last the shower in the GTS is also larger, that was the final deciding factor for us. I needed a bit larger shower to be comfortable using it...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Jim,

Here are a couple other discriminators between the two units we found when researching.

If you don't need the Over The Cab (OTC) bunk the GTS has some other advantages. The mini "Trekker" cap used on the GTS is much quieter than the OTC bunk style we had on our MBS. At cruising speed, 60-65MPH for us, it is significantly quieter. And some folks allege you get slightly better gas mileage due to the aerodynamics. I have no way of comparing that one... The storage FR builds in to the cap provides some handy space for manuals, CD's DVD,s and maps for us.

And the big bonus is you don't get rain water draining off right in the center of your drivers and passenger doors. I used to hate getting out of our MBS cab in the rain as it channeled the water right to the door's center. There are several posts on the forum about that issue...

Last the shower in the GTS is also larger, that was the final deciding factor for us. I needed a bit larger shower to be comfortable using it...

Thanks for the info, Wayne. The front GTS cap is one of the things that we like...since it's just the two of us, we don't need the overhead bunk.

We have an appointment Sunday to look at all of the units we have under consideration. I expect a purchase will be completed by then.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
Jim, I just put my 2016 2801QSF up for sale (check the classifieds here). Could save you some big $$$$.

Paul
Thanks, Paul...appreciate the offer, but we're buying new.

Tags