Old 11-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
DaLexusGuy

Question re: Upgrading the Pioneer Dash Audio System

Hey all, I am looking to add Navi/Apple Car Play/Android Auto capability to my rig. I want to remove the existing basic Pioneer audio head unit and upgrade it.

I got to thinking though....how do the three camera output lines hook into the back of the audio head unit? On all the new units I am interested in I only see one input jack for a camera. But, of course, on the rig there are three cameras, including the two side cameras.

Is there some kind of remote switching unit that all three camera cords run to, and then one line out from there as a camera input on the audio head unit, or is it wired some other way?

I am hoping someone who has been back behind the stock Pioneer audio head unit can tell me before I splurge on the new head unit.

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Do you know the model number? It's usually on the face.

05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

I also wanted a unit with Apple Carplay (even nicer now that Google Maps and Waze have been added). I replaced the "stock" Pioneer AVH-X390BS with a Pioneer AVH2300NEX. Same connectors so no wiring changes were needed.

The 3 cameras are handled by an external switching box, on my 2018 3011DS it is a RVS-501N-3 from "Rear View Safety"
tkljr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkljr View Post
I also wanted a unit with Apple Carplay (even nicer now that Google Maps and Waze have been added). I replaced the "stock" Pioneer AVH-X390BS with a Pioneer AVH2300NEX. Same connectors so no wiring changes were needed.

The 3 cameras are handled by an external switching box, on my 2018 3011DS it is a RVS-501N-3 from "Rear View Safety"
Where did FR hide the switching box?

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #5

Stuffed in the wiring below the steering column.
tkljr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
DaLexusGuy

Quote:

Tkljr, This is precisely what I needed to know. I suspected I was correct but you never know. Thank you so much for your response! Just waiting on my Christmas present (radio) to arrive!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Dash RAdio Upgrade

Since you didnít mention what chassis you have (very important to give detail) Kenwood is the one and only GPS DASH Media radio to upgrade to. GPS, Multi-media, a great radio, external sound and video all in a 2U radio, fits fine in the new Fords ó- E350/E450.

The video works like this: there is a hidden 3 channel video box for 2 side cameras and the rear camera, the box is controlled by the directional indicator and the backup switch and outputs to a single video connection on the Radio or on the rear view mirror video monitor. (Ford) The hard part is finding the dang electronics box but a Google search brings up the manufactures for these devices. Good luck, let us know what you find and do .
bbillp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Stuffed in the wiring below the steering column.
Thanks. Found it where you said it was, although it wasnít really buried. Not hard to get to the wires. I got lucky and talked to a support rep at Pioneer who was very knowledgeable. Per their instructions I disconnected the white and yellow wires from the switchbox to completely disable the side cameras. About time...I hated the way the rear view display would disappear for 12 seconds or more after making a turn.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Thanks. Found it where you said it was, although it wasn’t really buried. Not hard to get to the wires. I got lucky and talked to a support rep at Pioneer who was very knowledgeable. Per their instructions I disconnected the white and yellow wires from the switchbox to completely disable the side cameras. About time...I hated the way the rear view display would disappear for 12 seconds or more after making a turn.
That was one thing I could not tolerate myself. I added a seperate fulltime monitor just for the rear camera. The sides still display on the head unit. Makes it much eaiser to change radio stations as well. The delay is caused by the way the head unit functions, the RVS switcher interaction also adds to the delay.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2016 Honda Accord
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote