Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Charge from tow vehicle will typically hold battery 14+

A float charger will be about 13.2

Fully charged battery with no load 12.7

11 volts or less is pretty well discharged.
agreed...since amps decline to 0 on the alternator if full while voltage is held.
But 11V is dead...you never want to let it go below 12V as life cycle damage will be the result.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #12

House power is on. Second day and no charge from alternator so on went the generator. No meter here so I'll have to wait until home. Good suggestion on the relay. I was surprised how quickly the generators charged the batteries though. That was a nice surprise.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

Why do you think the generator charged the batteries quickly. NO wet cell battery that is 50% or more discharged is going to be fully charged with less than 4 hours (more likely 6) of charging time.
I'm concerned that you may damage your battery life by not understanding how to measure state of charge.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #14

Agreed, the batteries if low will take a while to really fully recharge. If you check the monitor after only a short time recharging they may look like they are fully charged but this is just a "surface charge". They will quickly discharge when used or left for a time.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
clr

Or you may have read the monitor panel while the genset is running therefore you are reading the voltage output of the genset and not the batteries. Read the monitor panel with the genset not running and see what the charge state is.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

It was while the gen was off. I wonder if it was a surface charge. This so makes me want to get a perm voltmeter installed!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
It was while the gen was off. I wonder if it was a surface charge. This so makes me want to get a perm voltmeter installed!

Installed Victron battery monitor

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
Voltmeters are not what you want. A battery monitor like the victron above OR the trimetric will do the job and is really a necessity if you boondock and want to take care of the batts.

If you don't boondock....you don't need to spend the $150 bucks or so. You DO need to understand charging and measuring state of charge.
  1. Your converter is probably a 55 amp model...if it is the current FR standard. Worth checking.This works off shore power or your generator. It does NOT put 55 amps into your batteries. The batteries limit how many amps it can deliver since wet cells cannot take more than 20% of their rated amp hours. (Example...my Georgetown came with a pair of group 24 batts which each have 75 amp hours...total 150 amp hours and an acceptance of 30amps maximumbased on the 20% rule. (Despite my 55 amp charger.) Check to see what size converter you have and what size batteries to know what your capabilities are.
  2. You should never discharge a battery below 50% charged or you will begin losing cycle life. This means in my case that I have 75 amp hours to work with if NOT plugged in and charging...before I need to re-charge (hence the importance of a true monitor if you boondock since you need to count amp hours used and remaining...not volts! )
  3. So...if you were me and trying to replace 75 amp hours at a rate of 30 amps max....you'd figure about 2.5 hours through simple division and you'd be wrong. It takes as long to get the battery from 80 to 100% full as it does to get it to 80%. Figure 4 hours minimum.
  4. You cannot measure voltage properly while things are on in the coach, or while it is plugged in or within 24 hours of charging. Solution...after charging for 4 hours ...disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 24 hours...then take a voltmeter reading AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS to see the true voltage... use my chart in the post above to determine state of charge and battery condition. If you regularly can't wait the 24 hours...then you need a battery load tester which quickly wipes out surface charge and lets you take a true reading. AGAIN the battery should be disconnected from the coach when doing this.
    $20 bucks ...Harbor Freight
  5. Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslvm View Post
Installed Victron battery monitor - Forest River Forums

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I must have missed this earlier...nice install!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #20

Wow, this is great information! Thanks all!

Tags
charging, battery