Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It appears to me when the awning is out, the door can only open half way because of the awning arms.
Looks that way to me too. And, the awning itself is about 6" in from the arm If it's like mine. So, the door itself is left out in the open. It's no wonder water pours down the door.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #22

Our Sunseeker 2500TS is just about the same,,, awning just covers the door when open,,, door will open all the way,,, but it is close !!! The awning is installed as far forward as it can be !!! Best to keep awning as low as possible !!! with some tilt away from the door end of the MH !!! I am guessing we could clamp something on the door end of the awning,,, and let it hang down ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #23

We have a classA FR3 and the design is the same way. I hate not being able to keep the door open or get wet opening the door when it is raining. I guess if you were stationary very long and it wasn't windy, you could clip a small tarp onto the edge of the awning. Not a real feasible solution as it takes a ladder and a general <pita>.
AussieK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #24

I have the same problem with my Lexington 2014. I use a rope to maintain the door opened at about 60 degrees. One end is attached to the door handle with a loop and the other is fixed to the vertical handle beside the door. I just remove the loop from around the door handle if I have to go out or get in. You can reach the rope by going through the little sliding door in the screen door.
RFLLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFLLambert View Post
I have the same problem with my Lexington 2014. I use a rope to maintain the door opened at about 60 degrees. One end is attached to the door handle with a loop and the other is fixed to the vertical handle beside the door. I just remove the loop from around the door handle if I have to go out or get in. You can reach the rope by going through the little sliding door in the screen door.
Thanks, great idea!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 AM   #26

We have exact same model ‘17 3011ds. Looks just like yours but I don't have water problems while raining of water gushing down the door. There is a gutter track up there that catches the rain and then dumps it to the front by the cab doors or to the back of the RV. If your over flowing the gutter maybe you need to level the RV to force more water to drain back or to the other side. Oh and be careful trying to get out of the cab doors when raining. It will pour the water right into you power window and door lock controls.
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Would a bungee cord not work better ???
Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #28

A rope or a bungee cord will do the same thing : old the door to prevent it from opening wider and be exposed to the rain.

For Azzy1016 : The water does not come from the gutter. What we are talking about is direct rain coming to the inside of the door when it is open at 90 degrees. The side border of the awning does not overhang sufficiently the top of the door, so part of the rain is coming in between.

N.B. Hope I am clear as I am a french speaking person.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #29

it seems to me that the solution is to limit the angle of the door opening to less then 90 degrees, minimizing the amount of the door opening exposed to the rain, using a bungee or a cord... also, slightly tip the awning to the rear by pushing in on the adjustable awning bar... make it lower at the rear to help get rain water moving away from the open door...

maybe just clothes pin some plastic sheet to the awning to hang out over the open door keeping rain from falling down directly on to the door... the tilted awning should direct rain already on the awning away from the door...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #30

Quote:
A rope or a bungee cord will do the same thing : old the door to prevent it from opening wider and be exposed to the rain.

For Azzy1016 : The water does not come from the gutter. What we are talking about is direct rain coming to the inside of the door when it is open at 90 degrees. The side border of the awning does not overhang sufficiently the top of the door, so part of the rain is coming in between.

N.B. Hope I am clear as I am a french speaking person.
Totally Clear to me !!! But then we have a Sunseeker,,, so I know what you are battling !!! I set ours as low as I can,,, with a little tilt to the rear !!!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #31

Why not keep a tarp handy? Use binder clips or RV flap clips to clip on the awning. Use tent stakes on the ground or a couple of lawn chairs under the awning on top of the tarp edge.
SandeeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #32

On my side, I already thought of doing this but found it much more complicated then just tying a rope to the door handle.

RFLLambert
2014 Lexington 265DS
Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
On my side, I already thought of doing this but found it much more complicated then just tying a rope to the door handle.

RFLLambert
2014 Lexington 265DS
I agree that unless it will be raining for a long period, the tarp thing is complicated. Instead of a rope, I use a longer bungie and put it around the exterior handle and run it to the door handle. Holds it open about 1/2 way .

Tags
door