Old 04-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #1

Ready for Solar, again!

After our last two trips to Yosemite, I realized I need to get some panels on the roof. My Renogy portable 100watt suitcase just isn't enough. Plus I have to pull it inside when we go hiking for security reasons.
Benagi, I read your thread back in February, did you buy yet? You are looking at the same ones I am. I have been researching and have decided on a tilt mount because of the multiple screw holes along the track for securing it to the roof and having the tilt option if needed. I also want to get an LCD display controller. I thought about 20 amp, but if I decide to add a third panel or use the Renogy 100w suitcase, it won't handle it. So 30 amp it is. Wow! 300 watts and 17.25 amps. Renogy's ViewStar 30 amp is costly, but it has a remote option, so the big controller can be tucked away in a compartment.
HopHead down in Burbank mentioned he was thinking about doing solar too. Maybe have a solar install party down at the beach.
Time to quit talking about it and just do it! It's going to be hard drilling into a perfectly good NEW non-leaking roof!

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #2

I'm getting ready to do the same. I need 400 W on my roof because I boondock at least a week at a time.

Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Sticky feet mounts work well without drilling into fiberglass roofs. I have my Renology Eclipse panels mounted on our Solera with sticky feet, 4 per panel. After they set for 24 hrs then covered feet with loctite marine adhesive with runoff to roof as if using dicor. Set another 24 hrs. Those mounts are solid and not coming off.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

This couple that I follow have some good info on solar and what they did/used. About Us €“ Wheeling It
I follow full time rvers that have blogs or twitter.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights booked 2017-21....so far
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
After our last two trips to Yosemite, I realized I need to get some panels on the roof. My Renogy portable 100watt suitcase just isn't enough. Plus I have to pull it inside when we go hiking for security reasons.
Benagi, I read your thread back in February, did you buy yet? You are looking at the same ones I am. I have been researching and have decided on a tilt mount because of the multiple screw holes along the track for securing it to the roof and having the tilt option if needed. I also want to get an LCD display controller. I thought about 20 amp, but if I decide to add a third panel or use the Renogy 100w suitcase, it won't handle it. So 30 amp it is. Wow! 300 watts and 17.25 amps. Renogy's ViewStar 30 amp is costly, but it has a remote option, so the big controller can be tucked away in a compartment.
HopHead down in Burbank mentioned he was thinking about doing solar too. Maybe have a solar install party down at the beach.
Time to quit talking about it and just do it! It's going to be hard drilling into a perfectly good NEW non-leaking roof!
Hope you had a good trip to Yosemite. The picture you posted of the bike ride looks like you had good weather.

Here is where I am at and where I am going with solar:

Solar wires run from roof down fridge vent and under fridge to access panel just under fridge. Have a Trimetric controller(up to 30 amps) that I have mounted to a 12" x 10" piece of wood with 2 30 amp circuit breakers to and from the controller. This will be mounted under the fridge behind the access panel this week along with running my wires from the batteries to the controller.

I am looking at 2 165 watt or 2 160 watt panels I found on ebay. I will probably make my own mounts out of angled aluminum, that way I can get sufficient mounting surface as I will not be using screws. Based on what I have seen I am not comfortable with screws as it will only be going into 1/8" of fiberglass with only 1/8" of luan plywood backing with foam underneath. 1/4" to screw into makes me nervous if it will hold or not.

I am looking at 3M 5200 marine sealant which I have read is good for the non slip fiberglass roofs and will be a permanent mount. However I have seen some products that claim to be able to remove the 5200 sealant if needed.

Any feedback or comment would be appreciated.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

HopHed, do you have the dimpled roof like mine? In re-reading my old posts on the older threads, things like Sticky Feet and the the ABS glue mounts were not recommended for my roof because of the dimples. How large a surface area will you for glueing?
Just looked around at the online aluminum angle iron. What size would you get?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-12.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	104559   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-10.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	104560  
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
HopHed, do you have the dimpled roof like mine? In re-reading my old posts on the older threads, things like Sticky Feet and the the ABS glue mounts were not recommended for my roof because of the dimples. How large a surface area will you for glueing?
Just looked around at the online aluminum angle iron. What size would you get?
I do have the same dimpled roof. That's why no VHB tape. I did not want to find out it did not work by having a panel blow off the roof on the freeway. The 5200 sealant will take care of the irregular surface and after reading about it, seems like the way to go without drilling.

I will probably go with 1 1/2" for the base and use 8, 3-4" long brackets. I can probably get away with 1" for the piece that will mount to the panel. If I put a slot on the roof mount piece I might get a little slant to it for rain run off. Might go to 2" but want to get the panels first the figure things out. Here's what I found on aluminum. https://www.onlinemetals.com/basket.cfm Can also get at HD or Lowes.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
I do have the same dimpled roof. That's why no VHB tape. I did not want to find out it did not work by having a panel blow off the roof on the freeway. The 5200 sealant will take care of the irregular surface and after reading about it, seems like the way to go without drilling.

I will probably go with 1 1/2" for the base and use 8, 3-4" long brackets. I can probably get away with 1" for the piece that will mount to the panel. If I put a slot on the roof mount piece I might get a little slant to it for rain run off. Might go to 2" but want to get the panels first the figure things out. Here's what I found on aluminum. https://www.onlinemetals.com/basket.cfm Can also get at HD or Lowes.
I was thinking there needs to be a 1" gap for heat dissipation under the panel. Maybe a 2"x2". I would want to put an air deflector in front of the panel to prevent a tree branch from catching under the panel and ripping it off. Had a few issues with my Winnebago Minnie. Of course, the King On the Air bat wing antenna will be the first to go. For that reason, I may want to mount them on the driver's side.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
I have been fairly vocal against high priced stuff, but our new, on order TH comes with a 200 go power brand system. Although I can't find anything about their panels to justify the cost, their 30 amp PWM controller is either the best I have seen, or just the best documentation to let you see what it can do. If I was doing roof mount from scratch now, I would buy panels brackets and connectors from WindyNation.com where I bought before or for slightly more money, from Renogy.com then shop online for the GoPower 30 amp PWM. Read the Manuel which you can see online. Full 4 phase charging for wet lead acid and appropriate 3 phase for AGM batts. Without dumping big bucks that looks like the best of all worlds in solar.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

I just purchased upper end 3wire German panels (through my business) - not the 2 wire Chineese .... Very Pricey, but .... These are as effiecient as it gets and with 384 watts of solar, the output is apx 17.6 amps at noon on a sunny day with a 90 degree sun impact angle. Not many are even close. Verify the specs the panel says they will do are actuall vs ____ before buying.

I could have added a 9th panel, on the combined digital regulator & display, but I like even numbers. It is going to be free standing. I have not yet decided if I can mount it on the side or roof in any form I am happy or comfortable with.

Once I get my TT and have everyting nstalled, I'll post up.

Tags
solar