Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,172
Ready for Solar, again!

After our last two trips to Yosemite, I realized I need to get some panels on the roof. My Renogy portable 100watt suitcase just isn't enough. Plus I have to pull it inside when we go hiking for security reasons.
Benagi, I read your thread back in February, did you buy yet? You are looking at the same ones I am. I have been researching and have decided on a tilt mount because of the multiple screw holes along the track for securing it to the roof and having the tilt option if needed. I also want to get an LCD display controller. I thought about 20 amp, but if I decide to add a third panel or use the Renogy 100w suitcase, it won't handle it. So 30 amp it is. Wow! 300 watts and 17.25 amps. Renogy's ViewStar 30 amp is costly, but it has a remote option, so the big controller can be tucked away in a compartment.
HopHead down in Burbank mentioned he was thinking about doing solar too. Maybe have a solar install party down at the beach.
Time to quit talking about it and just do it! It's going to be hard drilling into a perfectly good NEW non-leaking roof!
__________________

__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 0trips 0 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #2
Member
 
Bako88fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 75
I'm getting ready to do the same. I need 400 W on my roof because I boondock at least a week at a time.
__________________

__________________
2008 Wildcat 29RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
4x4 z71 Crew Cab Duramax/Allison
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rich.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 226
Sticky feet mounts work well without drilling into fiberglass roofs. I have my Renology Eclipse panels mounted on our Solera with sticky feet, 4 per panel. After they set for 24 hrs then covered feet with loctite marine adhesive with runoff to roof as if using dicor. Set another 24 hrs. Those mounts are solid and not coming off.
__________________
2015 Solera 24r
Rich.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 523
This couple that I follow have some good info on solar and what they did/used. About Us €“ Wheeling It
I follow full time rvers that have blogs or twitter.
__________________
2016 Vengeance 320A
2015 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L 4x4 ccsb Z71 trim
2012 HD Electra Glide
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights booked 2017-21....so far
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Member
 
HopHed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
After our last two trips to Yosemite, I realized I need to get some panels on the roof. My Renogy portable 100watt suitcase just isn't enough. Plus I have to pull it inside when we go hiking for security reasons.
Benagi, I read your thread back in February, did you buy yet? You are looking at the same ones I am. I have been researching and have decided on a tilt mount because of the multiple screw holes along the track for securing it to the roof and having the tilt option if needed. I also want to get an LCD display controller. I thought about 20 amp, but if I decide to add a third panel or use the Renogy 100w suitcase, it won't handle it. So 30 amp it is. Wow! 300 watts and 17.25 amps. Renogy's ViewStar 30 amp is costly, but it has a remote option, so the big controller can be tucked away in a compartment.
HopHead down in Burbank mentioned he was thinking about doing solar too. Maybe have a solar install party down at the beach.
Time to quit talking about it and just do it! It's going to be hard drilling into a perfectly good NEW non-leaking roof!
Hope you had a good trip to Yosemite. The picture you posted of the bike ride looks like you had good weather.

Here is where I am at and where I am going with solar:

Solar wires run from roof down fridge vent and under fridge to access panel just under fridge. Have a Trimetric controller(up to 30 amps) that I have mounted to a 12" x 10" piece of wood with 2 30 amp circuit breakers to and from the controller. This will be mounted under the fridge behind the access panel this week along with running my wires from the batteries to the controller.

I am looking at 2 165 watt or 2 160 watt panels I found on ebay. I will probably make my own mounts out of angled aluminum, that way I can get sufficient mounting surface as I will not be using screws. Based on what I have seen I am not comfortable with screws as it will only be going into 1/8" of fiberglass with only 1/8" of luan plywood backing with foam underneath. 1/4" to screw into makes me nervous if it will hold or not.

I am looking at 3M 5200 marine sealant which I have read is good for the non slip fiberglass roofs and will be a permanent mount. However I have seen some products that claim to be able to remove the 5200 sealant if needed.

Any feedback or comment would be appreciated.
__________________
1978 Ford Rollalong
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29V
2016 Forester 2861DS (11-13-15)
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,172
HopHed, do you have the dimpled roof like mine? In re-reading my old posts on the older threads, things like Sticky Feet and the the ABS glue mounts were not recommended for my roof because of the dimples. How large a surface area will you for glueing?
Just looked around at the online aluminum angle iron. What size would you get?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-12.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	104559   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-10.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	104560  
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 0trips 0 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Member
 
HopHed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
HopHed, do you have the dimpled roof like mine? In re-reading my old posts on the older threads, things like Sticky Feet and the the ABS glue mounts were not recommended for my roof because of the dimples. How large a surface area will you for glueing?
Just looked around at the online aluminum angle iron. What size would you get?
I do have the same dimpled roof. That's why no VHB tape. I did not want to find out it did not work by having a panel blow off the roof on the freeway. The 5200 sealant will take care of the irregular surface and after reading about it, seems like the way to go without drilling.

I will probably go with 1 1/2" for the base and use 8, 3-4" long brackets. I can probably get away with 1" for the piece that will mount to the panel. If I put a slot on the roof mount piece I might get a little slant to it for rain run off. Might go to 2" but want to get the panels first the figure things out. Here's what I found on aluminum. https://www.onlinemetals.com/basket.cfm Can also get at HD or Lowes.
__________________
1978 Ford Rollalong
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29V
2016 Forester 2861DS (11-13-15)
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
I do have the same dimpled roof. That's why no VHB tape. I did not want to find out it did not work by having a panel blow off the roof on the freeway. The 5200 sealant will take care of the irregular surface and after reading about it, seems like the way to go without drilling.

I will probably go with 1 1/2" for the base and use 8, 3-4" long brackets. I can probably get away with 1" for the piece that will mount to the panel. If I put a slot on the roof mount piece I might get a little slant to it for rain run off. Might go to 2" but want to get the panels first the figure things out. Here's what I found on aluminum. https://www.onlinemetals.com/basket.cfm Can also get at HD or Lowes.
I was thinking there needs to be a 1" gap for heat dissipation under the panel. Maybe a 2"x2". I would want to put an air deflector in front of the panel to prevent a tree branch from catching under the panel and ripping it off. Had a few issues with my Winnebago Minnie. Of course, the King On the Air bat wing antenna will be the first to go. For that reason, I may want to mount them on the driver's side.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 0trips 0 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
After our last two trips to Yosemite, I realized I need to get some panels on the roof. My Renogy portable 100watt suitcase just isn't enough. Plus I have to pull it inside when we go hiking for security reasons.
Benagi, I read your thread back in February, did you buy yet? You are looking at the same ones I am. I have been researching and have decided on a tilt mount because of the multiple screw holes along the track for securing it to the roof and having the tilt option if needed. I also want to get an LCD display controller. I thought about 20 amp, but if I decide to add a third panel or use the Renogy 100w suitcase, it won't handle it. So 30 amp it is. Wow! 300 watts and 17.25 amps. Renogy's ViewStar 30 amp is costly, but it has a remote option, so the big controller can be tucked away in a compartment.
HopHead down in Burbank mentioned he was thinking about doing solar too. Maybe have a solar install party down at the beach.
Time to quit talking about it and just do it! It's going to be hard drilling into a perfectly good NEW non-leaking roof!
I have been fairly vocal against high priced stuff, but our new, on order TH comes with a 200 go power brand system. Although I can't find anything about their panels to justify the cost, their 30 amp PWM controller is either the best I have seen, or just the best documentation to let you see what it can do. If I was doing roof mount from scratch now, I would buy panels brackets and connectors from WindyNation.com where I bought before or for slightly more money, from Renogy.com then shop online for the GoPower 30 amp PWM. Read the Manuel which you can see online. Full 4 phase charging for wet lead acid and appropriate 3 phase for AGM batts. Without dumping big bucks that looks like the best of all worlds in solar.
__________________
Tom48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 125
I just purchased upper end 3wire German panels (through my business) - not the 2 wire Chineese .... Very Pricey, but .... These are as effiecient as it gets and with 384 watts of solar, the output is apx 17.6 amps at noon on a sunny day with a 90 degree sun impact angle. Not many are even close. Verify the specs the panel says they will do are actuall vs ____ before buying.


I could have added a 9th panel, on the combined digital regulator & display, but I like even numbers. It is going to be free standing. I have not yet decided if I can mount it on the side or roof in any form I am happy or comfortable with.


Once I get my TT and have everyting nstalled, I'll post up.
__________________

__________________
'17 270S
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.