Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Ready to purchase 2861DS, looking for feedback.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. We are ready to purchase a new 2861DS and I have spent many days on this forum reading every post I can find regarding the 2861DS (and the 2860DS Sunseeker sister model). I was looking for issues that others have had with this model, and I am pleased that I don't see any major issues that would be a deal killer for me.

We have had RVs for the past 30 years, and for the last six years we have had a 27 foot class B+ motorhome on the E450 chassis. We are now taking longer trips in the RV and want the comfort of the roomier floorplan of the 2861DS, and it will still fit in our RV garage, although with only inches to spare.

So, the reason for this post is to make sure I have not missed any major problems that others may have had. Having owned RVs, I expect to have issues that will need to be addressed. I do all my own maintenance and any needed repairs in the past were such that I could do them myself. In all the posts I have seen, I don't see anything that scares me off, some slide adjustments, minor plumbing leaks and electrical issues, outdoor kitchen door sag, that sort of stuff. I did sway bar and track bar upgrades on my current E450 chassis and accept that I may need to do it on the 2861DS as well, I did these myself so it was not too expensive.

I would appreciate any feedback to confirm my observation that the problems with the 2861DS seem to be relatively minor and isolated and that there are far more folks without problems that we don't hear from in these forums.

We really like the layout with the sofa and dinette across from each other and the storage inside and out looks very good. We tow a Jeep Wrangler and the 2861DS will be about 1500 pounds heavier than our current RV but I expect the V10 will handle it well especially with the new six speed transmission.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide,
Bob A
fobagbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

I've had a new Forester 2801 since February with no major problems. Some minor adjustments as you stated but very happy with fit and finish. Good luck and welcome.

2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

We got our 2861DS in November and love it. We only had a few cosmetic issues when we bought it which have been corrected by the dealer.

The only steering/suspension mod was a steering stabilizer. Drives great with no issues.
The only thing we did not like was the outside fridge only on 110v as we use it all the time and dry camp occasionally. I have since added an inverter to run it and solar panels which are almost done.

So far we have had no problems with it.

Good luck with your new purchase.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 AM   #4

Good to hear that you both had only minor issues and that a minimum suspension upgrade was required. We aren't sure how much we will use the outdoor kitchen, but if we do, an inverter sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

Hi,

I got our 2861DS last October and have had no issues at all. The floor plan works great for our family and the wife loves the outdoor kitchen.

I have 2 teenage daughters and 2 large dogs that make every trip. We wanted something with enough room, but small enough to get into more campsites. At just over 30 feet it ticked off all the boxes for us.

We looked at the 3051, 3011, and 3171.

The 3051 had a little more room, but with 4 of us, the wife liked the idea of a separate shower and toilet area.

The wife didn't like the idea of the dinette and sofa on the same wall of the 3011. It makes conversation challenging.

The 3171 was a little big and didn't have the outdoor kitchen.

So that left the 2861 and it is perfect for us.

I took it for a test drive at the dealer and reported back to them that it pulled to the left and the steering wheel was not aligned. They contacted FR and got the OK for me to get it aligned.

To get the factory to pay for your alignment, you must have your dealer contact FR within a couple weeks of purchase. Also, don't do the alignment until you have at least 2500 miles on the unit.

I drove it home and got it aligned following the specs published here on the forum. Not the factory specs!

It drives perfect. No after-market products installed. Will look at shocks one day, but for now it's good.

I tow a Jeep Liberty and the MH doesn't even notice it is back there.

I think you'll be happy with this model.

Scott
Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback on your 2861, sounds like the same thought process that we went through. Your positive experience is very helpful for our decision.

I will be looking to get the alignment done as well, my experience is that an alignment is very important for these class C RVs. Where do I find the specs here on the forum?

Bob A
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Where do I find the specs here on the forum?
Check out the Sunseeker forum. There is a thread called "Ford E450 Custom Alignment Specs" started by BClemens on 5/30/2014.

Good Luck!

Scott
Old 05-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

We bought our 2861 DS in November and it has performed wonderfully. We have had it out in a winter storm and outside of condensation on the Windows it was great. I will have the rear anti sway bars installed before we head to Georgia in June.
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote