Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #1

Rear air bag compressor system?

Anyone install a permanently plumbed air compressor for their rear air bags?

My Firestone air bags lose less than 1/2 psi per day but it would be nice to have a system maintain the pressure or even boost the pressure on the fly for help against crosswinds or stepping off a driveway curb to avoid rear jack pad drag.

Air Lift has two wireless systems which will work on any brand of air bag.
Right now Air Lift has a rebate so that naturally motivates this upgrade.

Air Lift WirelessAir comes with a beefier compressor and dual path control so you can independently set the air pressure for left and right.

Air Lift WirelessOne comes with a standard compressor and a single path control - both left and right are kept at the same pressure.

WirelessAir is about $100.00 more but I like the simplicity of the WirelessOne remote better. I doubt I would ever need one side to be at a different pressure than the other so the dual path feature is probably not as useful on a class C RV.

Anyone have either system and how it performs on a class C?

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

I made my own setup due to having a compressor and a few tanks laying around. I have them independently plumbed but can connect theme when empty or for when I need axle articulation due to welding access roads
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

How do you control filling them; air solenoid and mounted gauges?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
How do you control filling them; air solenoid and mounted gauges?
I went with a simple never fail method. Each airbag has a .25 Inch air line going to it. On the other end of the line is a air gauge and then a ball valve. From here I have a common fill valve and a common dump valve also the same ball valves. The fill valve is connected to my tanks. I can fill the bags up together or independently and dump the same. I mounted it all in my toolbox to protect from northern Ohio weather. I will take a picture for you in a few

I ran 2 gauge power fused at 200 amps and a ground from the battery into the tool box. Then I individual fused the compressor and the control relay and cut in/out switch. I added a on/off switch so I can control the compressor. The compressor also supplies air to my exhaust brake and can be used to fill tired etc. I also have a inverter to put in my box but haven't done so yet
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

Here's the setup

The valves are color codes. Yellow is left bag, green is right bag. Red is the fill and blue is the dump. So if both yellow and green are open I can inflate or deflate with blue and red. Hope that makes sense
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #6

Wow! That's impressive.
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow! That's impressive.
Thanks!
Thank you

I'd rather build something myself than buy most things. I wanted to make myself a toy hauler, but found I couldn't come close to the grey wolf's price I have on order
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

Yea, I get that way with a lot of my projects. Unfortunately sometimes packaged stuff wins out. In the Air Lift units mentioned, the wireless is the easiest/best solution for my class C. The compressor, solenoid, and pressure monitoring packaged to make the easiest solution.
If I were to build it I would be upgrading from most of the stuff Air Lift packaged.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

I hear what you saying on that and I agree. I've had airbags for a long time. Installed many different makes. I will now only install pacbrake brand bags and controls. The bags are better built. Good luck with your install. Hope it works great for you and it simplfies there usage
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #10

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=bgilly;653768]Anyone install a permanently plumbed air compressor for their rear air bags?

My Firestone air bags lose less than 1/2 psi per day but it would be nice to have a system maintain the pressure or even boost the pressure on the fly for help against crosswinds or stepping off a driveway curb to avoid rear jack pad drag.

Air Lift has two wireless systems which will work on any brand of air bag.
Right now Air Lift has a rebate so that naturally motivates this upgrade.

Air Lift WirelessAir comes with a beefier compressor and dual path control so you can independently set the air pressure for left and right.

Air Lift WirelessOne comes with a standard compressor and a single path control - both left and right are kept at the same pressure.

WirelessAir is about $100.00 more but I like the simplicity of the WirelessOne remote better. I doubt I would ever need one side to be at a different pressure than the other so the dual path feature is probably not as useful on a class C RV.

Anyone have either system and how it performs on a class C?

Bobby[/Q
I just had the Airlift WirelessAir Installed with the Airlift airbags at Campingworld.. Like the wireless very much. Originally I had the Airlift Dual control installed in my truck with the airbags and labor was $39 each for the bags and control in truck {total $78}. The Dual control was giving me a air leak problem so Airlift has a 60 day no questions asked return policy. So Campingworld talked to them and they swapped me to the WirelessAir for $152 for the upgrade part and even paid for part of the labor to put in the WirelessAir. The mechanic at Campingworld did one great job installing my Package. Love the idea of just having a remote control in my truck. Plus I got $100 in rebates!
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
I just had the Airlift WirelessAir Installed with the Airlift airbags at Campingworld.. Like the wireless very much. Originally I had the Airlift Dual control installed in my truck with the airbags and labor was $39 each for the bags and control in truck {total $78}. The Dual control was giving me a air leak problem so Airlift has a 60 day no questions asked return policy. So Campingworld talked to them and they swapped me to the WirelessAir for $152 for the upgrade part and even paid for part of the labor to put in the WirelessAir. The mechanic at Campingworld did one great job installing my Package. Love the idea of just having a remote control in my truck. Plus I got $100 in rebates!
How long have you been running with WirelessAir installed? I'm curious how the dual path control is holding out. I've read about a lot of problems with that solenoid.

Do you find that you make more adjustments to the air bags because of the wireless feature?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I will now only install pacbrake brand bags and controls.
That's good to know - I'm considering adding bags to the front of the E450. I've felt the suspension bottom a couple times. Then again, I was driving through Fort Worth. I traveled some terrible roads bypassing Dallas.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
How long have you been running with WirelessAir installed? I'm curious how the dual path control is holding out. I've read about a lot of problems with that solenoid.

Do you find that you make more adjustments to the air bags because of the wireless feature?

It's only been 2 weeks with the WirelessAir. You can program to preset 2 weight settings. Then you can also bring to any amount of weight you desire when towing. When your done towing just hit one of your preset buttons and it returns to preset weight. I will keep a eye out on the solenoid issue. I just touch a button to see how much air is in the bags and it also shows if it's holding air. I don't keep playing with it if that's what you mean.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

I installed the TLC wireless remote. Had it for 2 years now, I like it. Have my tow present just hit the remote and pumps up tge bags. Depending on loads I can adjust on the fly to desired setting.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Site Team

I have wireless air with airlift bags. Worked great for 26 months the manifold went haywire. Now I inflate thru Schrader valves on bumper.
Airlift want $90 to rebuild it. I have enjoyed the convenience of the remote and performance of the bags and on board compressor.
PS. The bags are aired individually and can be set to different psi.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
I don't keep playing with it if that's what you mean.
No, not what I meant. I am thinking more on the motorhome application. I have run my pressure from 60 psi to 90 psi depending on how the coach is loaded and the crosswind. Curious if there is much adjusting done once on the road - adding or subtracting pressure than you would have if it were the manual schrader valve method.
Thanks for the information.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I have wireless air with airlift bags. Worked great for 26 months the manifold went haywire.
That's what I've been reading. The manifold/solenoid fails right after the 2 year warranty. So you went back to the schrader valve. I'm there now and I want to go to automatic. Isn't there an aftermarket solenoid that can be installed or modified to get you back in automatic? Was wondering if just converting to Air Lift single path control would be a solution. I haven't read any trouble with that device. You just lose the independent left/right pressure control.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougP47 View Post
I installed the TLC wireless remote. Had it for 2 years now, I like it. Have my tow present just hit the remote and pumps up tge bags. Depending on loads I can adjust on the fly to desired setting.
TLC uses Air Lift WirelessOne remote. The bags they carry are more for pickups.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
Site Team

That crossed my mind while I was typing just now. Gonna check I out. The manifold still works somewhat. So if I get the right solenoid in the right spot I can inflate and deflate. Worth tinkering with. Haven't found any option other than buy new model airlift manifold for $250+ or rebuild old for $90. I miss the easy air up on the go.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
Site Team

I searched high and low online for solenoid replacement but can't find any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404874736816.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	57682   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404874769447.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	57683