Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Rear view camera sound issue

I have a 2017 Forester 2861, we just completed a 3 week trip and at the end of the trip the sound and distance grid on the rear view camera that come on when in reverse now come on when the brakes are applied. I keep the volume turned up to hear the wife when backing but had to turn the volume down during normal driving so that it wasn't so noticeable and distracting every time I hit the brakes.

I will be contacting the dealer and the camera manufacturer next week, but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue.

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

FOUND THE PROBLEM

A Ford connector was full of water, I blew it out and now the camera works fine. We were in Oregon last week and had a week of steady rain. The connector is located near the rear duallys and was getting water from the tires. The connector is sealed for that environment but it came apart easily so it may not have been securely assembled. I will wrap the connector with electrical tape to be sure.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

With that water issue (causing a short) sounds as though when you hit your brakes the brake light and backup lights were coming on. Doesn't matter now. Just a guess.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
With that water issue (causing a short) sounds as though when you hit your brakes the brake light and backup lights were coming on. Doesn't matter now. Just a guess.

Exactly what I was thinking, but the backup lights were not coming on. My guess is that the "short" was just enough to activate the backup camera but too much resistance to light the backup lights. But you are right, doesn't matter now, we are good to go.

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
FOUND THE PROBLEM

A Ford connector was full of water, I blew it out and now the camera works fine. We were in Oregon last week and had a week of steady rain. The connector is located near the rear duallys and was getting water from the tires. The connector is sealed for that environment but it came apart easily so it may not have been securely assembled. I will wrap the connector with electrical tape to be sure.
Glad you found the problem. Did the tape do the trick?
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Fan44 View Post
Glad you found the problem. Did the tape do the trick?
I won't know for sure until I drive through days of hard rain like we had on the last trip, I hope not soon.

I am confident that the connector is better sealed now. I think it may not have been fully seated to allow the seal in the connector to do it's job, in addition to making sure it was clicked closed, I put some dielectric grease in the connector and then wrapped it with electrical tape. There were four other connectors next to this one and I did those as well.