Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
rick freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: California
Posts: 28
Refrigerator tooo cold

Sometimes when i park my rig, 2017 Forester 2861 ds, the items freeze up.
Donít like frozen lettuce, does having the rv not exactly level create all this?
Just wondering
__________________

rick freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
No. Have you moved your temp sensor down? and, Have you considered a 12v circulation fan?
__________________

__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,470
You need to adjust the temp sensor slider on the fins in the fridge. The further up on the fin it is the colder the fridge will get, so if you don't want it that cold then slide it down the fin a little bit.

Not being level won't cause it to over-cool, no.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
rick freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
No. Have you moved your temp sensor down? and, Have you considered a 12v circulation fan?


Thanks for reply i am aware of the slide sensor but your interesting comment about circulating fan is something that I hadnít thought of.
Would you comment more? Thanks
rick freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Port Richey Florida
Posts: 640
Move to Florida !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Carknocker Family
 
Ida Ratherbe Camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 688
This is similar to what I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-FRIDGE-FAN.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	177930  
Ida Ratherbe Camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick freeman View Post
Sometimes when i park my rig, 2017 Forester 2861 ds, the items freeze up.
Donít like frozen lettuce, does having the rv not exactly level create all this?
Just wondering
Interesting dilemma...as most post are that the frig is too warm or having trouble keeping cool.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
rick freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
This is similar to what I use.
Thanks for photo will look for 12v circulating fan for fridge
rick freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
Here is what I use. Be sure to get the deluxe version. I got mine on Amazon but the seller also has their own website and lists on ebay. They may not all be the same and part numbers vary.
2800 QS Mods
__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Carknocker Family
 
Ida Ratherbe Camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Here is what I use. Be sure to get the deluxe version. I got mine on Amazon but the seller also has their own website and lists on ebay. They may not all be the same and part numbers vary.
2800 QS Mods
This IS the one I use.

Had it wired into my fridge light at first but kept blowing the fuse on the circuit board. Had to run a dedicated wire through back of fridge to the 12 volt junction block behind. Fused of course
Ida Ratherbe Camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 941
I see everyone saying move the thermositor up or down to adjust temp, this is NOT universal.. for NORCOLDS, you move left or right..Not sure what unit you have.. However If it was fine before, and Now seems to freeze things, then your thermositor is possibly bad. pretty cheap off Amazon (about 15 bucks) and take about 5 minutes to swap out. FTR mine was a new 2018 model and it was bad from the get go. AT least if its too cold you can turn off your fridge for a bo, much better than if its too hot!
__________________
Ron and Kathy
2019 Cougar 369BHS 5'VR
2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH (Traded)
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I see everyone saying move the thermositor up or down to adjust temp, this is NOT universal.. for NORCOLDS, you move left or right..Not sure what unit you have.. However If it was fine before, and Now seems to freeze things, then your thermositor is possibly bad. pretty cheap off Amazon (about 15 bucks) and take about 5 minutes to swap out. FTR mine was a new 2018 model and it was bad from the get go. AT least if its too cold you can turn off your fridge for a bo, much better than if its too hot!
Bad news. These are NORCOLD units and the THERMISTOR (thermostat + resistor) adjusts up and down. You can see it in the link I posted for the fan mod. It is to the right of the fan(s).
And for those scoring at home, here is a link to a reputable website that splains how to test that pesky thermistor. How To Determine If Your Norcold Thermistor Is Bad (thermistor troubleshooting) - The Norcold Guy
BTW, welcome to the Forester motorhome section.
__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Bad news. These are NORCOLD units and the THERMISTOR (thermostat + resistor) adjusts up and down. You can see it in the link I posted for the fan mod. It is to the right of the fan(s).
And for those scoring at home, here is a link to a reputable website that splains how to test that pesky thermistor. How To Determine If Your Norcold Thermistor Is Bad (thermistor troubleshooting) - The Norcold Guy
FYI, not all trailers are the same. Especially the ones with motors.
Well this is news to me, mine adjust left to right! I guess they have different versions, I learned something today!
__________________
Ron and Kathy
2019 Cougar 369BHS 5'VR
2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH (Traded)
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Bad news. These are NORCOLD units and the THERMISTOR (thermostat + resistor) adjusts up and down. You can see it in the link I posted for the fan mod. It is to the right of the fan(s).
And for those scoring at home, here is a link to a reputable website that splains how to test that pesky thermistor. How To Determine If Your Norcold Thermistor Is Bad (thermistor troubleshooting) - The Norcold Guy
BTW, welcome to the Forester motorhome section.
BY the way, AWESOME edit to your post for the bottom dig Dude!!

I see the posts on the right side and pay no attention to the section its in, I think " I have a Refrigerator, they Have A Fridge, both probably run on Propane and Electric.Mine goes left to right, I thought they were all that way! But Maybe it is one of those Motor homes that the fridge runs on carrots and cabbage

BTW Link shows that they DO move right or left..https://www.arprv.com/norcold-thermistor.php
So maybe not all do it, or maybe some years dont, I do not know.
__________________
Ron and Kathy
2019 Cougar 369BHS 5'VR
2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH (Traded)
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 659
Get an adjustable dial thermistor.
I have that and a circulation fan attached to the fins like a previous post.
Winter- I turn it down, summer I turn it up.
No more frozen lettuce since.

The dial indicator on the thermistor is much easier to use and you don't have to worry about moving it.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
BY the way, AWESOME edit to your post for the bottom dig Dude!!
Sorry. The edit was made to increase the tonal quality but you captured the draft before I deleted it. There were actually two posts where only one was intended. The wifi at this park is marginal so it can be minutes before it updates.
For some reason I really have to work at tonal quality. Especially for the group I refer to (and have been for years) as the Roving Cabal of Towables. However, rest assured that I will continue to work on the tone.
Best Regards,
The Dude
__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
...
BTW Link shows that they DO move right or left..https://www.arprv.com/norcold-thermistor.php
So maybe not all do it, or maybe some years dont, I do not know.
I followed your link and I did not see any that adjust from left to right. So unless you are talking about actually moving the thermistor to a different cooling fin (not recommended) I must have missed it.
__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 29
In the Norcold 6.0 manual it says to adjust to the right if too cold. That is exactly what I did and now temp rests between 35 to 37 degrees.
dumboatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboatt2 View Post
In the Norcold 6.0 manual it says to adjust to the right if too cold. That is exactly what I did and now temp rests between 35 to 37 degrees.
We must be talking about something different. Can you please post a photo of what you moved to the right.
__________________
ILB ( | )
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 29
Sorry, I am of the age where this technology has left me in the dust. I would not have a clue how to send a picture, so I will do my best verbally quoting from the owners manual. I have the Norcold N611V. Yes, I am talking about moving the thermistor.
Quote manual: if you wish to change the fixed setting, you must move the thermistor.
Pull the thermistor and clip off fin.
Push thermistor and clip onto a different fin.
Move the clip to left for colder, right for a warmer temp.
Move the thermistor and clip only 3 or 4 fins at a time.
If more adjustment are necessary, repeat steps above. Unquote
I ended up moving the clip to the right as far as I could, I clipped the thermistor toward the top of the fin in order to move further to the right. Finally quit freezing the food on first self.
__________________

dumboatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


×