Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

Replacing couch with recliners

We would like to change the couch in our coach with two recliners. Have any of you done this? Concerned there isn't enough room on the slide. Found some we like but they say they need to stay 16" from the wall. Do they have to be fastened down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Our camper is a 2015 Sunseeker 2860. Thank you!
Judy VonStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Gold Tee Box

Yes, we did exactly that, replaced a small love seat fold out bed with a pair of theater seat recliners. And, yes ours are bolted down.

That was part of our deal before we picked up our new unit, and the seating is great! Actually, we went thru other campers and motorhomes to pick the exact seats we liked before we made the deal. There is a difference on how they fit you and recline, so look around.

Someone mentioned on another thread where you could purchase replacement furnature for RV's. If I can find it I'll post it again

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy VonStein View Post
We would like to change the couch in our coach with two recliners. Have any of you done this? Concerned there isn't enough room on the slide. Found some we like but they say they need to stay 16" from the wall. Do they have to be fastened down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Our camper is a 2015 Sunseeker 2860. Thank you!
You need to buy "wall hugger recliners" My Duel recliner love seat only needs 6" wall clearance. My oem fold out was not bolted down.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Try here

https://www.recpro.com/rv-furniture/...RoCsqQQAvD_BwE

They make RV furniture. Many use their recliners to replace their dinettes. Only require 3" from the wall.

YouTube has many installs.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

As for tying recliners down, that seems to be a matter of choice, Our old trailer (FR) came with recliners and they were strapped to the floor and the straps had to be removed and replaced each time. On our new trailer (non-FR) we ordered it with recliners rather than the sofa and the recliners are not tied down. I questioned our tech about this and he told me some are and some aren't. I will tell you that with the road conditions in a lot of places we have had the recliners bounce off the slide floor a couple of times while in transit but no damage done. I still haven't decided if I want to add straps myself.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
We looked into this with our 2018 Sunseeker 2500TS - we were toying with the idea of replacing the u-dinette with some kind of reclining theater seats or something. We learned a lot. Ultimately we decided it was just impractical for reasons I shall explain, and we traded in the Sunseeker on a brand new 2019 Forest River Forester 3041DSF. We made the sacrifice buying something 5' longer because it had the ideal floorplan to keep the dinette and replace the sofa with one kingsize swivel Lazyboy Ascot recliner for me while my wife who is much smaller than me, can kick back in the dinette. We probably could have fit two small recliners in the same space but my wife was more interested in retaining the dinette.

One of the primary considerations is that the 3041DSF had the sofa on the flat floor and NOT on the slide. When we were considering the mod with the Sunseeker, we looked at a LOT of recliners, wallhuggers etc. Wallhuggers may allow placement closer to the back wall but there is a sacrifice in comfort over a real lazyboy and also the consideration of getting something with a high enough back for me as I am very tall. Often we found that "clearance" stated on the web differed from what we found when actually examining and measuring the real thing.

The problem is that the slideout floors in the slide are generally not deep enough for most recliners. I spoke with a couple shops about adding a slideout extension with additional rollers , and this became a fairly expensive proposition to do right with no guarantees about how well it would work or hold up. The BIG advantage to the 3041DSF is that the sofa is on the flat floor, not in a slide, and so the only consideration was to have enough space in the aisle with the dinette slide in the extended position, and we measured this carefully and I am pleased to report it worked out beautifully.

So I would be careful about this decision... do your measurements carefully. Putting recliners on a slideout floor is a tricky proposition. In the end with the smaller sunseeker, we decided it was worthwhile on several counts to trade in the 2018 on the new 3041DSF. If you want to talk to me more about my research send me a private msg and I'll reply with my phone number.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

Comfy now!

Replaced our jackknife sofa with 2 recliners with center console/cup holders, wall huggers. Purchased from RecPro, yes it was a tight fit but oh so worth the work!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

I second/third the recommendation of the RecPro 67" dual reclining love seat. These are "wall hugging" unts that only require 4" from the wall.

They also make a 58" model.

https://www.recpro.com/recpro-charle...RoCXlUQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_200730_zpsbtrsqhhe (1).jpg
Views:	2540
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	197010  
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

We put the same ones in a vlite slide, in place of a sofa bed. We did screw down as old ones were, and roads around us would definitely tear something up, just verify Max screw length before installing

We love them
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #10

Replacing couch with recliners

Here's oursClick image for larger version

Name:	20180407_174952.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	197030
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #11

We bought a 2018 Berkshire 39A in November - with dual theatre seats (sight unseen), assuming they'd be like recliners. We were wrong and very disappointed. The back reclines about 2" and the legrest comes up about 45 degrees and because it doesn't lock, it collapses with the weight of my legs (I'm 6'-3" and 240 lbs).

This RecPro looks like what we expected in the first place, and we're very interested.

We're retired, and by golly, we deserve real recliners!

Anyone know where in southern CA these could be seen?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #12

On our trailer, we had it delivered without the HAB sofa. Bought a pair of Lay-Z-Boy recliners. We did a bunch of measurements to find a pair that fit. First trip they move around a bit. So I screwed a set of d-rings into the floor along the wall and when we travel we use a pair of bungies to hold them in place.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
We bought a 2018 Berkshire 39A in November - with dual theatre seats (sight unseen), assuming they'd be like recliners. We were wrong and very disappointed. The back reclines about 2" and the legrest comes up about 45 degrees and because it doesn't lock, it collapses with the weight of my legs (I'm 6'-3" and 240 lbs).

This RecPro looks like what we expected in the first place, and we're very interested.

We're retired, and by golly, we deserve real recliners!

Anyone know where in southern CA these could be seen?
You'll be happy with the one's from RecPro. They FULLY recline!

It puts me straight to sleep if I recline all the way!
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Check out RVing with Tito on you tube. Brian just did that.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Not sure of your dimensions in your Sunseeker but we went with these from Lazy boy
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cs-153804.html
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #16

I have changed all my furniture. You just need to measure. Just a note. Dont get hung up on only Rv furniture. Look at furniture stores. I have had luck with rooms to go in southwest Fla when replacing two recliners. Also the quality is better
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #17

sun seeker 3010DS

Yes, we replaced the jackknife sofa with a LazyBoy wall hugger loveseat. It is not bolted down. Yes, I worry about that sometimes, but I think the whole rig with everything in it will blow apart in an accident, so maybe it truly won't matter. We don't usually sit on it while driving. Seatbelts are still bolted to the floor but we don't pull through.

While driving, the loveseat sits on the raised box flush against the slide wall and cannot be reclined. When we reach destination, we pull it forward. Hubby built a heavy wooden box about 6 inches deep as wide as the loveseat to support the front legs. Then it can recline easily.

Works for us!
Sharon
skreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #18

I just finished replacing the dinette with two recliners. Works great for us. We bought trays to eat on. We got ours from camping world and they are not bolted down to give us flexibility. Dog loves them!
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by popshumphrey View Post
I just finished replacing the dinette with two recliners. Works great for us. We bought trays to eat on. We got ours from camping world and they are not bolted down to give us flexibility. Dog loves them!
do you have photos
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #20

I have pictures but don’t seem to be able to post them. However this might work. Holy cow it worked. Dog likes the chairs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29F43156-CDD9-4037-8AF5-25EE9F516DC2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	197311  
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker