Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Replacing glass shower door in Forester 2401R

How much weight would I save? Is it possible to swap it out but reinstall the glass door if we ever want to sell our unit? I'd like to replace it with a curved shower rod. Has anyone already done this?
Thanks!
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I love our shower doors.... I cont imagine you wuld save that much on weight. Maybe a pound? I am sure you can find something else that weighs more to get rid of.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #3

Replacing glass shower door

We have a '18 Forester, and one of my first upgrades was to replace the glass shower door. It looked very nice but function was horrible as the space was so small. Taking it out and putting in the extend-a-shower made a HUGE improvement adding about 7 or 8 inches of width to the shower, plus a much wider entry into the shower. Another benefit is you can reverse the curtain when your out of the shower moving it into the shower and giving more room in the bathroom. In terms of weight, the glass assembly easily weighed 25 to 30 lbs. if not more. I certainly would do it again.
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
We have a '18 Forester, and one of my first upgrades was to replace the glass shower door. It looked very nice but function was horrible as the space was so small. Taking it out and putting in the extend-a-shower made a HUGE improvement adding about 7 or 8 inches of width to the shower, plus a much wider entry into the shower. Another benefit is you can reverse the curtain when your out of the shower moving it into the shower and giving more room in the bathroom. In terms of weight, the glass assembly easily weighed 25 to 30 lbs. if not more. I certainly would do it again.

We are also looking at the extend a shower option. How much of the original shower metal framework required removal? It looks like the bottom metal piece on the sill could remain but I'm not sure. Thanks
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #5

I forgot to secure my shower door in transit once and a panel broke. When I found out the price to replace I got a dollar store shower curtain and called it good with the added weight reduction.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #6

I took out all the metal frame for a cleaner look. Filled any holes with white silicon to make them invisible.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

Even though we are not big people and the current shower dimensions are not terrible, it would be nice to have a little more room. And since I don't particularly like the our shower door, I wonder if the extend a curtain might be an option. My only question is, what do you do for a shower curtain? It would seem that you need to a fairly long curtain so that it sits inside the shower pan but then from the design it wound seem that the curtain would drag on the floor when you open it. Or is there some sort of trick to open it that would allow this not to occur?

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #8

We just bought a clear shower curtain and cut it to the right length for our shower. It just touches the floor and is below the entry ridge 2 to 3 inches when extended out or in. Never does drag on the shower floor.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

Re-install?

I don't like the function or the weight of the glass shower door but I think many people think it is an upgrade. Did you plan to reinstall the door when you sell, at some point? Or did the fix remove that possibility? Thanks!
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

I kept all the parts so it would be possible to reinstall. I honestly can't imagine why anyone would have the glass vs. the extend-a-shower if you spent 10 seconds thinking about it! Space is a premium in our 25' rv.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We are annoyed with the glass shower door. But even more I can’t stand for the shower curtain to touch me. Does the extenda rod prevent the curtain from blowing in while you are showering?
I am pretty sure I read post that the glass door weighs 40 lbs.

Tags
door, forester, show, shower